Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SPP1
Description: secreted phosphoprotein 1
Alias: SPP-1, bone sialoprotein 1, bone sialoprotein I, early T-lymphocyte activation 1, osteopontin, osteopontin-K, secreted phosphoprotein 1 (osteopontin, bone sialoprotein I, early T-lymphocyte activation 1)
- Fine-mapping milk production quantitative trait loci on BTA6: analysis of the bovine osteopontin geneRobert D Schnabel
Division of Animal Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:6896-901. 2005..Next, we sequenced a 12.3-kb region harboring Osteopontin, a positional candidate for the statistically most significant of the identified QTL...
- Identification of osteopontin phosphorylation sites involved in bone remodeling and inhibition of pathological calcificationFawzy A Saad
Laboratory for Study of Skeletal Disorders and Rehabilitation, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Children s Hospital Boston, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Cell Biochem 103:852-6. 2008b>Osteopontin is a noncollagenous, phosphorylated extracellular glycoprotein, expressed in mineralized and nonmineralized tissues, organs and body fluids...
- Binding patterns of bovine seminal plasma proteins A1/A2, 30 kDa and osteopontin on ejaculated sperm before and after incubation with isthmic and ampullary oviductal fluidCarlos Eduardo A Souza
Department of Animal Science, Federal University of Ceara, Brazil
Anim Reprod Sci 105:72-89. 2008..have reported empirical associations between bovine seminal plasma protein(s) (BSP) A1/A2 and 30 kDa and osteopontin (OPN) in accessory sex gland fluid and bull fertility...
- Osteopontin immunoreactivity in the ileum and ileocecal lymph node of dairy cows naturally infected with Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosisE L Karcher
Department of Animal Science, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50010, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 126:142-8. 2008b>Osteopontin (Opn), a highly acidic glycoprotein, promotes cellular adhesion and recruitment and has been shown to be upregulated in the granulomas of mycobacterial infections. Johne's disease, caused by Mycobacterium avium subsp...
- Osteopontin: a novel cytokine involved in the regulation of Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis infection in periparturient dairy cattleE L Karcher
Department of Animal Science, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
J Dairy Sci 91:3079-91. 2008b>Osteopontin (Opn), an important mediator of the cell-mediated immune response, enhances the host immune response against mycobacterial infections. Infections caused by Mycobacterium avium ssp...
- Isolation and characterization of a cDNA for osteopontin-k: a kidney cell adhesion molecule with high homology to osteopontinsJ F Crivello
Department of Physiology and Neurobiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs
J Bone Miner Res 7:693-9. 1992..The peptide (osteopontin-k) had a potential glycosylation site (Asn-X-Ser/Thr), a GRGDS receptor binding region, a high level of ..
- Role of phosphate groups in inhibition of calcium oxalate crystal growth by osteopontinGraeme K Hunter
School of Dentistry and CIHR Group in Skeletal Development and Remodeling, University of Western Ontario, London, Ont, Canada
Cells Tissues Organs 189:44-50. 2009b>Osteopontin (OPN) inhibits the growth of calcium oxalate monohydrate (COM) and other crystal phases in a phosphorylation-dependent manner...
- A functional genomics approach to evaluate candidate genes located in a QTL interval for milk production traits on BTA6P A Sheehy
REPROGEN and Cooperative Research Centre for Innovative Dairy Products, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Sydney, Camden, NSW 2570, Australia
Anim Genet 40:492-8. 2009..These data suggest that the gene product of SPP1 (also known as osteopontin) has a significant role in the modulation of milk protein gene expression...
- Thermodynamic characterization of the interactions between the immunoregulatory proteins osteopontin and lactoferrinAaron P Yamniuk
Structural Biology Research Group, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Mol Immunol 46:2395-402. 2009The immunoregulatory proteins osteopontin (OPN) and lactoferrin (LF) are both highly abundant in milk, with a conserved ratio between different mammalian species, suggesting that the role of each protein in infant development may be ..
- Secreted phosphoprotein 1 (SPP1, osteopontin) binds to integrin alpha v beta 6 on porcine trophectoderm cells and integrin alpha v beta 3 on uterine luminal epithelial cells, and promotes trophectoderm cell adhesion and migrationDavid W Erikson
Department of Veterinary Integrative Biosciences, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
Biol Reprod 81:814-25. 2009..Secreted phosphoprotein 1 (SPP1, osteopontin) is induced just before implantation and is present at the conceptus-maternal interface in mammals...
- Osteopontin: an early innate immune marker of Escherichia coli mastitis harbors genetic polymorphisms with possible links with resistance to mastitisKarin Alain
Dairy and Swine Research and Development Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Sherbrooke, Quebec, J1M 1Z3, Canada
BMC Genomics 10:444. 2009....
- The association of bovine PPARGC1A and OPN genes with milk composition in two independent Holstein cattle populationsH Khatib
Department of Dairy Science, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706, USA
J Dairy Sci 90:2966-70. 2007..b>Osteopontin (OPN) and peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha (PPARGC1A) are located in the ..
- Evaluation in beef cattle of six deoxyribonucleic acid markers developed for dairy traits reveals an osteopontin polymorphism associated with postweaning growthS N White
USDA, ARS, US Meat Animal Research Center, Clay Center, NE 68933, USA
J Anim Sci 85:1-10. 2007..with milk yield or composition, including polymorphisms in secreted phosphoprotein 1 (SPP1; also called osteopontin), growth hormone receptor (GHR), casein S1 (CSN1S1), diacylglycerol O-acyltransferase 1 (DGAT1), peroxisome ..
- The cDNA cloning and RNA distribution of bovine osteopontinJ M Kerr
Bone Research Branch, National Institute of Dental Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Gene 108:237-43. 1991We have isolated and sequenced the bovine cDNA (OPN) counterpart of osteopontin. The cDNA is 1356 nucleotides (nt) in length with an open reading frame of 834 nt, encoding a 278-amino acid (aa) protein...
- Purification and characterization of three proteins isolated from the proteose peptone fraction of bovine milkE S Sørensen
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Aarhus, Denmark
J Dairy Res 60:189-97. 1993..The 60 kDa protein was found to be bovine osteopontin, a very highly phosphorylated protein with an Arg-Gly-Asp sequence which mediates cell attachment.
- Posttranslational modifications of bovine osteopontin: identification of twenty-eight phosphorylation and three O-glycosylation sitesE S Sørensen
Protein Chemistry Laboratory, University of Aarhus, Denmark
Protein Sci 4:2040-9. 1995b>Osteopontin (OPN) is a multiphosphorylated glycoprotein found in bone and other normal and malignant tissues, as well as in the physiological fluids urine and milk...
- Phosphorylation of purified bovine bone sialoprotein and osteopontin by protein kinasesE Salih
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School and The Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 271:16897-905. 1996The large number of covalently bound phosphates on the extracellular phosphoproteins osteopontin (OPN) and bone sialoprotein (BSP) have been implicated in biological functions such as mineral deposition and osteoclast binding...
- Complete topographical distribution of both the in vivo and in vitro phosphorylation sites of bone sialoprotein and their biological implicationsErdjan Salih
Laboratory for the Study of Skeletal Disorders and Rehabilitation, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School and Children s Hospital, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 279:19808-15. 2004..Overall, 7 in vitro and 11 in vivo phosphorylation sites were identified unequivocally, with natural variation in the quantitative extent of phosphorylation at each in vivo phosphorylation site...
- Conserved and variable domains in satellite DNAs of mitotic parthenogenetic root-knot nematode speciesNevenka Mestrović
Ruder Boskovic Institute, Zagreb, Croatia
Gene 362:44-50. 2005..javanica and M. arenaria and highly homogenized divergent positions in comparison with the MPA1 indicate similar sequence dynamics in mitotic parthenogenetic taxa to that observed in amphimictic species...
- Effects of the osteopontin gene variants on milk production traits in dairy cattleS Leonard
Department of Dairy Science, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison 53706, USA
J Dairy Sci 88:4083-6. 2005b>Osteopontin (OPN) is a highly phosphorylated glycoprotein whose gene has been cloned and sequenced in different species...
- Molecular evidence for a critical period in mural trophoblast development in bovine blastocystsSéverine A Degrelle
UMR INRA ENVA CNRS Biologie du Développement et de la Reproduction, 78352 Jouy en Josas Cedex, France
Dev Biol 288:448-60. 2005..Altogether, these results tended to show that early elongation is a critical transition in bovine trophoblast development...
- Osteoclast migration on phosphorylated osteopontin is regulated by endogenous tartrate-resistant acid phosphataseBarbro Ek-Rylander
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Division of Pathology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, SE 141 86 Huddinge, Sweden
Exp Cell Res 316:443-51. 2010b>Osteopontin (OPN) is a multifunctional protein implicated in cellular adhesion and migration. Phosphorylation has emerged as a post-translational modification important for certain biological activities of OPN...
- Identification of a missense mutation in the bovine ABCG2 gene with a major effect on the QTL on chromosome 6 affecting milk yield and composition in Holstein cattleMiri Cohen Zinder
Institute of Animal Sciences, Agricultural Research Organization, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Genome Res 15:936-44. 2005..variation in this region and identified common haplotypes spanning five polymorphic sites in the genes IBSP, SPP1, PKD2, and ABCG2 for two sires heterozygous for this QTL...