Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PRKCA
Description: protein kinase C alpha
Alias: PKRCA, protein kinase C alpha type, PKC-A, PKC-alpha
- Bornancin F, Parker P. Phosphorylation of protein kinase C-alpha on serine 657 controls the accumulation of active enzyme and contributes to its phosphatase-resistant state. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:3544-9 pubmed..These results are discussed in the context of a working model of PKCalpha behavior, providing insight into the workings of other kinases with equivalent sites of phosphorylation. ..
- Schlecht W, Zhou Z, Li K, Rieck D, Ouyang Y, Dong W. FRET study of the structural and kinetic effects of PKC phosphomimetic cardiac troponin T mutants on thin filament regulation. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2014;550-551:1-11 pubmed publisher..These changes can either decrease or increase Ca(2+)-sensitivity and likely play an important role in cardiac regulation. ..
- Rask Madsen C, King G. Differential regulation of VEGF signaling by PKC-alpha and PKC-epsilon in endothelial cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008;28:919-24 pubmed publisher..By regulating VEGFR2 expression and activation, PKC-epsilon expression is critical for activation of Akt and eNOS by VEGF and contributes to VEGF-stimulated Erk activation, whereas PKC-alpha has opposite effects. ..
- Bass Zubek A, Hobbs R, Amargo E, Garcia N, Hsieh S, Chen X, et al. Plakophilin 2: a critical scaffold for PKC alpha that regulates intercellular junction assembly. J Cell Biol. 2008;181:605-13 pubmed publisher..we provide evidence that PKP2 governs DP assembly dynamics by scaffolding a DP-PKP2-protein kinase C alpha (PKC alpha) complex, which is disrupted by PKP2 knockdown...
- Sheldon K, Maldonado E, Lemasters J, Rostovtseva T, Bezrukov S. Phosphorylation of voltage-dependent anion channel by serine/threonine kinases governs its interaction with tubulin. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25539 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest a novel functional link between serine/threonine kinase signaling pathways, mitochondrial respiration, and the highly dynamic microtubule network which is characteristic of cancerogenesis and cell proliferation...
- Yeong S, Zhu Y, Smith D, Verma C, Lim W, Tan B, et al. The last 10 amino acid residues beyond the hydrophobic motif are critical for the catalytic competence and function of protein kinase Calpha. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:30768-81 pubmed..Molecules that bind preferentially to the very C terminus of distinct PKC isozymes and suppress their catalytic activity may constitute a new class of selective inhibitors of PKC. ..
- Rotman T, Etkovitz N, Spiegel A, Rubinstein S, Breitbart H. Protein kinase A and protein kinase C(alpha)/PPP1CC2 play opposing roles in the regulation of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase activation in bovine sperm. Reproduction. 2010;140:43-56 pubmed publisher..that short-time activation of protein kinase A (PRKA, PKA) leads to PI3K activation and protein kinase C(alpha)(PRKCA, PKC(alpha)) inhibition...
- Venardos K, Enriquez C, Marshall T, Chin Dusting J, Ahlers B, Kaye D. Protein kinase C mediated inhibition of endothelial L-arginine transport is mediated by MARCKS protein. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2009;46:86-92 pubmed publisher..05). Moreover antisense inhibition of MARCKS abolished the PMA effect on L-arginine transport. PKC dependent mechanisms regulate the transport of L-arginine, mediated via process involving MARCKS. ..
- Kuznetsov S, Larkin D, Kaftanovskaia E, Ivanova E, Astakhova N, Cheriakene O, et al. [Chromosome localization and analysis of synteny analysis of some genes in swine, cattle, and sheep (Artiodactyla)]. Genetika. 1998;34:1200-4 pubmed..Genes NF1, RARA, PRKCA, and ERBB2 were assigned to chr 12 in swine; TK1 and UMPH2, to chr 19 in cattle; and TK1, UMPH2, and PEPA, to chr ..
- Staudinger J, Lu J, Olson E. Specific interaction of the PDZ domain protein PICK1 with the COOH terminus of protein kinase C-alpha. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:32019-24 pubmed..Association of PKCalpha with PICK1 provides a potential mechanism for the selective targeting of PKCalpha to unique subcellular sites. ..
- Nishizuka Y. The molecular heterogeneity of protein kinase C and its implications for cellular regulation. Nature. 1988;334:661-5 pubmed