Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: IGF1
Description: insulin like growth factor 1
Alias: IGF-1, IGF-I, insulin-like growth factor I, class 1 insulin-like growth factor I preproprotein, insulin growth factor-1, insulin-like growth factor 1 (somatomedin C), insulin-like growth factor I (somatomedin C), insulin-like growth factor I variant 1, prepro-IGF-I, somatomedin
- Wang L, Feng H, Ma Y, Cang M, Li H, Yan Z, et al. Expression of IGF receptors and its ligands in bovine oocytes and preimplantation embryos. Anim Reprod Sci. 2009;114:99-108 pubmed publisher..0% versus 19.2%; p<0.05). It was concluded that supplementation of in vitro maturation or culture media with IGF-II affects the development of bovine embryos and could be used to improve in vitro embryo production. ..
- Micke G, Sullivan T, McMillen I, Gentili S, Perry V. Protein intake during gestation affects postnatal bovine skeletal muscle growth and relative expression of IGF1, IGF1R, IGF2 and IGF2R. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2011;332:234-41 pubmed publisher..240% of recommended) during the first trimester. In ST, this was accompanied by greater IGF1, IGF2 and IGF2R mRNA at 680 d...
- Keys J, Cifrian E, Guidry A, Farrell H. Bovine mammary explant versus primary cell cultures: effect of bovine somatotropin and insulin-like growth factor-I on DNA content and protein synthesis. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 1997;33:206-11 pubmed..Results suggest that primary cell cultures are comparable to explant cultures when used to study mechanisms of DNA and milk protein synthesis and secretion. ..
- Abdolmohammadi A, Zamani P. SNP exploring in the middle and terminal regions of the IGF-1 gene and association with production and reproduction traits in Holstein cattle. Gene. 2014;540:92-5 pubmed publisher..It seems that other variants or QTLs known in this region underlie genetic variation in the production and reproduction of dairy cattle. ..
- Zhao K, Liu H, Zhou M, Zhao F, Liu J. Insulin stimulates glucose uptake via a phosphatidylinositide 3-kinase-linked signaling pathway in bovine mammary epithelial cells. J Dairy Sci. 2014;97:3660-5 pubmed publisher..These results indicated that insulin-induced glucose uptake in BMEC may involve the phosphatidylinositide 3-kinase- but not mitogen-activated protein kinase-mediated signaling pathways. ..
- Khan M, Jacometo C, Graugnard D, Corrêa M, Schmitt E, Cardoso F, et al. Overfeeding Dairy Cattle During Late-Pregnancy Alters Hepatic PPAR?-Regulated Pathways Including Hepatokines: Impact on Metabolism and Peripheral Insulin Sensitivity. Gene Regul Syst Bio. 2014;8:97-111 pubmed publisher..Postpartal responses in NEFA and FGF21 with OVE support a role of this hepatokine in diminishing adipose insulin sensitivity. ..
- Boonsanit D, Chanpongsang S, Chaiyabutr N. Effects of supplemental recombinant bovine somatotropin and mist-fan cooling on the renal tubular handling of sodium in different stages of lactation in crossbred Holstein cattle. Res Vet Sci. 2012;93:417-26 pubmed publisher..Lithium clearance data suggested that the site of response is in the proximal nephron segment, which may be mediated via increases in the plasma levels of aldosterone and IGF-1, but not vasopressin, during rbST administration. ..
- Akis I, Oztabak K, Gonulalp I, Mengi A, Un C. IGF-1 and IGF-1r gene polymorphisms in East Anatolian Red and South Anatolian Red cattle breeds. Genetika. 2010;46:497-501 pubmed..However, distribution of allele frequencies of IGF-1 and IGF-1R in SAR and EAR cattle was similar with Zebu cattle that support Bos indicus introgression to Anatolian breeds. ..
- Madsen S, Sondergaard B, Bay Jensen A, Karsdal M. Cartilage formation measured by a novel PIINP assay suggests that IGF-I does not stimulate but maintains cartilage formation ex vivo. Scand J Rheumatol. 2009;38:222-6 pubmed publisher..IGF-I dose-dependently maintained cartilage formation. The current developed techniques aid the model to represent a more physiologically relevant model to test novel anabolic drugs for osteoarthritis (OA). ..
- Falkenberg U, Haertel J, Rotter K, Iwersen M, Arndt G, Heuwieser W. Relationships between the concentration of insulin-like growth factor-1 in serum in dairy cows in early lactation and reproductive performance and milk yield. J Dairy Sci. 2008;91:3862-8 pubmed publisherThe objective of this study was to evaluate the relationships of different insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF1) measures [5 distinct IGF1 concentrations on particular days, area under the curve (AUC), and linear regression coefficient] in ..
- Davis M, Simmen R. Genetic parameter estimates for serum insulin-like growth factor I concentrations, and body weight and weight gains in Angus beef cattle divergently selected for serum insulin-like growth factor I concentration. J Anim Sci. 2006;84:2299-308 pubmed..g., efficiency of feed use for growth) in beef cattle, it should be possible to rapidly change IGF-I concentrations via selection without significantly altering live weight or rate of gain. ..
- Yurnalis -, Arnim -, Putra D. Polymorphism of Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 Gene (IGF1/TasI, IGF1/SnaBI, IGF1/RsaI) and the Association with Daily Gain of Pesisir Cattle Local Breed from West Sumatera, Indonesia. Pak J Biol Sci. 2017;20:210-216 pubmed publisherThe insulin-like growth factor 1 gene (IGF1) is a candidate gene for marker-assisted selection strategies...
- Glimm D, Baracos V, Kennelly J. Effect of bovine somatotropin on the distribution of immunoreactive insulin-like growth factor-I in lactating bovine mammary tissue. J Dairy Sci. 1988;71:2923-35 pubmed..This offers a possible mechanism for bovine somatotropin stimulation of lactation. ..
- Schmidt A, Einspanier R, Amselgruber W, Sinowatz F, Schams D. Expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) in the bovine oviduct during the oestrous cycle. Exp Clin Endocrinol. 1994;102:364-9 pubmed..IGF-1 protein was localized in the secretory cells of the oviduct epithelium using immunohistochemical techniques. We suggest possible effects of IGF-1 during ovulation either on the oviductal cells or on the early embryo. ..
- Ge W, Davis M, Hines H. Two SSCP alleles detected in the 5'-flanking region of bovine IGF1 gene. Anim Genet. 1997;28:155-6 pubmed
- Ravelich S, Breier B, Reddy S, Keelan J, Wells D, Peterson A, et al. Insulin-like growth factor-I and binding proteins 1, 2, and 3 in bovine nuclear transfer pregnancies. Biol Reprod. 2004;70:430-8 pubmed..Furthermore, increased cell numbers in NT placentomes likely have significant implications for fetomaternal communication and may contribute to the placental overgrowth observed in the NT placentomes. ..
- Vieira M, Bianchi I, Madeira E, Roll V, Oliveira C, Viau P, et al. Effect of recombinant bovine somatotropin on plasma concentrations of insulin-like growth factor I, insulin and membrane integrity of bull spermatozoa. Reprod Domest Anim. 2010;45:1110-3 pubmed publisher..05) in rbST-treated group than in control. In conclusion, rbST did not affect plasma concentrations of IGF-I and insulin, however, it did improve post-thaw sperm membrane integrity. ..
- Butler S, Pelton S, Butler W. Insulin increases 17 beta-estradiol production by the dominant follicle of the first postpartum follicle wave in dairy cows. Reproduction. 2004;127:537-45 pubmed..Insulin infusion increased estradiol secretion by the dominant follicle of the first postpartum follicular wave in dairy cows, and this effect appears not to be mediated through changes in pulsatile LH release. ..
- Honegger A, Humbel R. Insulin-like growth factors I and II in fetal and adult bovine serum. Purification, primary structures, and immunological cross-reactivities. J Biol Chem. 1986;261:569-75 pubmed..Bovine IGF-I was equipotent to human IGF-I in both radioimmunoassays and radioreceptor assays within the limits of the assay. ..
- Liu Y, Leu C, Wong F, Fong W, Chen S, Chang C, et al. Autocrine stimulation by insulin-like growth factor I is involved in the growth, tumorigenicity and chemoresistance of human esophageal carcinoma cells. J Biomed Sci. 2002;9:665-74 pubmed..Thus, interruption of IGF-IR function may provide a way to retard tumor growth and increase the sensitivity of esophageal carcinoma to chemotherapy. ..
- Li M, Adamowicz T, Switonski M, Ammosov I, Ivanova Z, Kiselyova T, et al. Analysis of population differentiation in North Eurasian cattle (Bos taurus) using single nucleotide polymorphisms in three genes associated with production traits. Anim Genet. 2006;37:390-2 pubmedSingle nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in growth hormone 1 (GH1), insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1) and leptin (LEP), all candidates for production traits in cattle, were characterized in North Eurasian cattle breeds...
- Lu Y, Bradley J, McCoski S, Gonzalez J, Ealy A, Johnson S. Reduced skeletal muscle fiber size following caloric restriction is associated with calpain-mediated proteolysis and attenuation of IGF-1 signaling. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2017;312:R806-R815 pubmed publisher..i>Atrogin-1 and MuRF expression and autophagy components were unaffected by CR. Thus CR suppresses the hypertrophic PGC1Î±-4/IGF-1/AKT1 pathway while promoting activation of the calpain system. ..
- Kamanga Sollo E, White M, Hathaway M, Chung K, Johnson B, Dayton W. Roles of IGF-I and the estrogen, androgen and IGF-I receptors in estradiol-17beta- and trenbolone acetate-stimulated proliferation of cultured bovine satellite cells. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2008;35:88-97 pubmed publisher..05) E2- and TBA-stimulated proliferation of cultured BSC. Our data suggest that IGF-I plays a role in E2- and TBA-stimulated proliferation of cultured BSC even in the absence of increased IGF-I expression. ..
- Flaga J, Gorka P, Kowalski Z, Kaczor U, Pietrzak P, Zabielski R. Insulin-like growth factors 1 and 2 (IGF-1 and IGF-2) mRNA levels in relation to the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) development in newborn calves. Pol J Vet Sci. 2011;14:605-13 pubmed..The reduction in IGFs mRNA level after 5 day of life in the duodenum (IGF-1 and IGF-2) and in the jejunum (IGF-1) was associated with reduction in villi length (duodenum and jejunum), and the increase of crypt depth (duodenum). ..
- Costello L, O Boyle P, Diskin M, Hynes A, Morris D. Insulin-like growth factor and insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins in the bovine uterus throughout the oestrous cycle. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2014;26:599-608 pubmed publisher..The present study shows that uterine concentrations of IGFBPs are cycle stage specific and also suggests IGF-dependent and -independent functions for IGFBPs during a time of major change in the developing embryo. ..
- Gomez E, Royo L, Duque P, Carneiro G, Hidalgo C, Goyache F, et al. 9-cis-retinoic acid during in vitro maturation improves development of the bovine oocyte and increases midkine but not IGF-I expression in cumulus-granulosa cells. Mol Reprod Dev. 2003;66:247-55 pubmed..The complete granular migration observed in oocytes matured with 9-cis-RA anticipates the gain in developmental competence of the oocyte, being MK probably involved in this beneficial effect. ..
- Trujillo A, Casal A, Peñagaricano F, Carriquiry M, Chilibroste P. Association of SNP of neuropeptide Y, leptin, and IGF-1 genes with residual feed intake in confinement and under grazing condition in Angus cattle. J Anim Sci. 2013;91:4235-44 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a strong association between these 3 SNP and RFI when animals were grazing on a high-quality, high-availability pasture, whereas a weak effect was observed under confinement. ..
- Grossi D, Buzanskas M, Grupioni N, de Paz C, Regitano L, de Alencar M, et al. Effect of IGF1, GH, and PIT1 markers on the genetic parameters of growth and reproduction traits in Canchim cattle. Mol Biol Rep. 2015;42:245-51 pubmed publisher..On this study the association of IGF1, GH, and PIT1 markers with growth and reproductive traits (birth weight, weaning weight, weight at 12 and 18 months ..
- Curi R, Oliveira H, Silveira A, Lopes C. Effects of polymorphic microsatellites in the regulatory region of IGF1 and GHR on growth and carcass traits in beef cattle. Anim Genet. 2005;36:58-62 pubmedGrowth hormone (GH), insulin-like growth factors 1 and 2 (IGF1 and IGF2) and their associated binding proteins and transmembrane receptors (GHR, IGF1R and IGF2R) play an important role in the physiology of mammalian growth...
- Ortega H, Palomar M, Acosta J, Salvetti N, Dallard B, Lorente J, et al. Insulin-like growth factor I in sera, ovarian follicles and follicular fluid of cows with spontaneous or induced cystic ovarian disease. Res Vet Sci. 2008;84:419-27 pubmed..These data support the notion that IGF-I plays a role in the regulation of folliculogenesis, and may participate in the pathogenesis of cystic ovarian disease in cattle. ..
- Sakamoto K, Yano T, Kobayashi T, Hagino A, Aso H, Obara Y. Growth hormone suppresses the expression of IGFBP-5, and promotes the IGF-I-induced phosphorylation of Akt in bovine mammary epithelial cells. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2007;32:260-72 pubmed..The results of this study suggest that GH plays an important role on mammary gland involution in bovine mammary epithelial cells. ..
- Lien S, Karlsen A, Klemetsdal G, Vage D, Olsaker I, Klungland H, et al. A primary screen of the bovine genome for quantitative trait loci affecting twinning rate. Mamm Genome. 2000;11:877-82 pubmed..QTL peak was observed for a region in the middle part of Chr 5 close to the insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1) gene...
- Molento C, Block E, Cue R, Petitclerc D. Effects of insulin, recombinant bovine somatotropin, and their interaction on insulin-like growth factor-I secretion and milk protein production in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2002;85:738-47 pubmed
- Li C, Sun D, Zhang S, Yang S, Alim M, Zhang Q, et al. Genetic effects of FASN, PPARGC1A, ABCG2 and IGF1 revealing the association with milk fatty acids in a Chinese Holstein cattle population based on a post genome-wide association study. BMC Genet. 2016;17:110 pubmed publisher..1 alpha (PPARGC1A), ATP-binding cassette, sub-family G, member 2 (ABCG2) and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1) genes...
- Wang Y, Eleswarapu S, Beal W, Swecker W, Akers R, Jiang H. Reduced serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF) I is associated with reduced liver IGF-I mRNA and liver growth hormone receptor mRNA in food-deprived cattle. J Nutr. 2003;133:2555-60 pubmed
- Fortes M, Reverter A, Kelly M, McCulloch R, Lehnert S. Genome-wide association study for inhibin, luteinizing hormone, insulin-like growth factor 1, testicular size and semen traits in bovine species. Andrology. 2013;1:644-50 pubmed publisher..following a gonadotropin releasing hormone challenge at 4 months (LH), insulin-like growth factor 1 at 6 months (IGF1), scrotal circumference at 12 months (SC), sperm motility at 18 months (MOT), percentage of normal spermatozoa at ..
- Kim E, Shi X, Cobanoglu O, Weigel K, Berger P, Kirkpatrick B. Refined mapping of twinning-rate quantitative trait loci on bovine chromosome 5 and analysis of insulin-like growth factor-1 as a positional candidate gene. J Anim Sci. 2009;87:835-43 pubmed publisher..The IGF-1 gene (IGF1) was examined as a positional candidate gene and an SNP in intron 2 of IGF1 was significantly associated with ..
- Jin M, Emkey G, Siparsky P, Trippel S, Grodzinsky A. Combined effects of dynamic tissue shear deformation and insulin-like growth factor I on chondrocyte biosynthesis in cartilage explants. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2003;414:223-31 pubmed
- Nicolini P, Carriquiry M, Meikle A. A polymorphism in the insulin-like growth factor 1 gene is associated with postpartum resumption of ovarian cyclicity in Holstein-Friesian cows under grazing conditions. Acta Vet Scand. 2013;55:11 pubmed publisher..Results herein remark the important role of the IGF-1gene in the fertility of dairy cows on early lactation and make the SNP IGF-1/SnaBI an interesting candidate marker for genetic improvement of fertility in dairy cattle. ..
- Wong H, Koh W, Probst Hensch N, van den Berg D, Yu M, Ingles S. Insulin-like growth factor-1 promoter polymorphisms and colorectal cancer: a functional genomics approach. Gut. 2008;57:1090-6 pubmed publisherInsulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF1) has been proposed to mediate the obesity-related carcinogenic effects of "Western lifestyle"...
- Francis G, Upton F, Ballard F, McNeil K, Wallace J. Insulin-like growth factors 1 and 2 in bovine colostrum. Sequences and biological activities compared with those of a potent truncated form. Biochem J. 1988;251:95-103 pubmed..The approximately 10-fold effect on biological activity of removing the N-terminal tripeptide is unexpected in view of current information on IGF-1 structure and function. ..
- Tizioto P, Meirelles S, Tulio R, Rosa A, Alencar M, Medeiros S, et al. Candidate genes for production traits in Nelore beef cattle. Genet Mol Res. 2012;11:4138-44 pubmed publisher..of this study was to assess the presence of polymorphisms in the candidate genes insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1), fatty acid-binding protein 4 (FABP4), and peroxisome proliferative active receptor gamma coactivator 1 A (..
- McCormick S. Effects of growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor I on salinity tolerance and gill Na+, K+-ATPase in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): interaction with cortisol. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 1996;101:3-11 pubmed
- Byrne A, Southgate J, Brison D, Leese H. Regulation of apoptosis in the bovine blastocyst by insulin and the insulin-like growth factor (IGF) superfamily. Mol Reprod Dev. 2002;62:489-95 pubmed..These data suggest roles for insulin and the IGFs as mitogens and/or apoptotic survival factors during early bovine development. Perturbation of IGF-II regulated growth may be involved in fetal oversize. ..
- Moran B, Cummins S, Creevey C, Butler S. Transcriptomics of liver and muscle in Holstein cows genetically divergent for fertility highlight differences in nutrient partitioning and inflammation processes. BMC Genomics. 2016;17:603 pubmed publisher..We postulate that an increased burden of reactive oxidation species, coupled with a chronic inflammatory state, might reduce dairy cow fertility in our model. ..
- Griinari J, McGuire M, Dwyer D, Bauman D, Barbano D, House W. The role of insulin in the regulation of milk protein synthesis in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 1997;80:2361-71 pubmed..Overall, results indicated that the ability of the mammary gland to synthesize milk protein does not function at maximum capacity, and there is a previously unrecognized potential to enhance milk protein percentage and yield. ..
- Welch C, Thornton K, Murdoch G, Chapalamadugu K, Schneider C, Ahola J, et al. An examination of the association of serum IGF-I concentration, potential candidate genes, and fiber type composition with variation in residual feed intake in progeny of Red Angus sires divergent for maintenance energy EPD. J Anim Sci. 2013;91:5626-36 pubmed publisher
- Chung H, Choi Y, Park H, Davis M. Associations between genetic variants in the promoter region of the insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF1) gene and blood serum IGF1 concentration in Hanwoo cattle. Genet Mol Res. 2015;14:3026-35 pubmed publisher..investigated the associations between genetic variants in the promoter region of the insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF1) gene and blood serum IGF1 concentration in Hanwoo cattle...
- Rawan A, Yoshioka S, Abe H, Acosta T. Insulin-like growth factor-1 regulates the expression of luteinizing hormone receptor and steroid production in bovine granulosa cells. Reprod Domest Anim. 2015;50:283-91 pubmed publisher..These findings strongly support the concept that IGF-1 upregulates LHR mRNA expression as well as A4 and E2 production in GCs and that IGF-1 is required for determining which follicle becomes dominant and acquires ovulatory capacity. ..
- Wang Y, Price S, Jiang H. Cloning and characterization of the bovine class 1 and class 2 insulin-like growth factor-I mRNAs. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2003;25:315-28 pubmed..05). These results indicate that the IGF-I gene in cattle is transcribed as class 1 and class 2 IGF-I mRNAs and that the two classes of IGF-I mRNAs may be regulated differentially at both transcriptional and translational levels. ..
- Zhang L, Ren G, Hua L, Lan X, Lei C, Chen H. Polymorphism in the 5êžŒ-UTR of the insulin-like growth factor I gene associated with production traits in Chinese cattle. Genet Mol Res. 2014;13:6899-905 pubmed publisher..Serum IGF1 concentration has been associated with growth traits in many livestock species...
- Shi S, Chan A, Mercer S, Eckert G, Trippel S. Endogenous versus exogenous growth factor regulation of articular chondrocytes. J Orthop Res. 2014;32:54-60 pubmed publisher..In the case of IGF-I, gene therapy or protein therapy appear to be viable options. In contrast, TGF-?1 gene therapy may be constrained by a limited ability of chondrocytes to convert latent complexes to an active form...
- Lancaster P, Carstens G, Ribeiro F, Davis M, Lyons J, Welsh T. Effects of divergent selection for serum insulin-like growth factor-I concentration on performance, feed efficiency, and ultrasound measures of carcass composition traits in Angus bulls and heifers. J Anim Sci. 2008;86:2862-71 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that genetic selection for postweaning serum IGF-I concentration had a minimal effect on RFI in beef cattle. ..
- Paye J, Akers R, Huckle W, Forsten Williams K. Autocrine production of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) affects paracellular transport across epithelial cells in vitro. Cell Commun Adhes. 2007;14:85-98 pubmed
- Grimard B, Marquant Leguienne B, Remy D, Richard C, Nuttinck F, Humblot P, et al. Postpartum variations of plasma IGF and IGFBPs, oocyte production and quality in dairy cows: relationships with parity and subsequent fertility. Reprod Domest Anim. 2013;48:183-94 pubmed publisher..Parity had a significant effect on energy status, follicular growth and fertility and needs to be considered when investigating relationships between nutrition and reproduction. ..
- Gao X, Xu X, Ren H, Zhang Y, Xu S. [The effects of the GH, IGF-I and IGF-IBP3 gene on growth and development traits of Nanyang cattle in different growth period]. Yi Chuan. 2006;28:927-32 pubmed..From 24 month to 36 month, the IGF-IBP3 locus has a dominance modulation and control effect on backbody in Nanyang Cattle, and the BB genotype with higher Rump width than AA. ..
- Rodriguez M, Petitclerc D, Nguyen D, Block E, Burchard J. Effect of electric and magnetic fields (60 Hz) on production, and levels of growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor 1, in lactating, pregnant cows subjected to short days. J Dairy Sci. 2002;85:2843-9 pubmed..Overall, the yield of milk or its components was not affected by EMF exposure, but milk yield was significantly higher for the exposed animals during wk 4 of treatment. ..
- Fotsis T, Murphy C, Gannon F. Nucleotide sequence of the bovine insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) and its IGF-1A precursor. Nucleic Acids Res. 1990;18:676 pubmed