Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CAPN1
Description: calpain 1
Alias: CANP 1, CANP1, calpain-1 catalytic subunit, calcium-activated neutral proteinase 1, calpain 1, (mu/I) large subunit, calpain mu-type, calpain-1 large subunit, micromolar calcium-activated neutral protease 1, micromolar-calpain, mu-calpain, muCANP
- Iglesias P, Caffaro M, Amadio A, Arias Mañotti A, Poli M. CAPN1 markers in three Argentinean cattle breeds: report of a new InDel polymorphism within intron 17. Mol Biol Rep. 2011;38:1645-9 pubmed publisherIn this study, the genotype distribution and allelic frequencies of CAPN1 (Calcium activated neutral protease) single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) were analyzed taking advantage of the different genetic backgrounds provided by ..
- Heaton M, Harhay G, Bennett G, Stone R, Grosse W, Casas E, et al. Selection and use of SNP markers for animal identification and paternity analysis in U.S. beef cattle. Mamm Genome. 2002;13:272-81 pubmed..Knowledge of these additional sites, together with the 32 target SNPs, allows the design of robust, accurate genotype assays on a variety of high-throughput SNP genotyping platforms. ..
- Van Ba H, Inho H. Significant role of ?-calpain (CANP1) in proliferation/survival of bovine skeletal muscle satellite cells. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2013;49:785-97 pubmed publisher..are a family of Ca(2+)-dependent intracellular cysteine proteases, including the ubiquitously expressed ?-calpain (CANP1) and m-calpain (CANP2)...
- Ribeca C, Bonfatti V, Cecchinato A, Albera A, Maretto F, Gallo L, et al. Association of polymorphisms in calpain 1, (mu/I) large subunit, calpastatin, and cathepsin D genes with meat quality traits in double-muscled Piemontese cattle. Anim Genet. 2013;44:193-6 pubmed publisherFive single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) located in the calpain 1, (mu/I) large subunit (CAPN1), calpastatin (CAST), and cathepsin D (CTSD) genes were analyzed in a large sample of Piemontese cattle...
- Iwanowska A, Grześ B, Mikołajczak B, Iwańska E, Juszczuk Kubiak E, Rosochacki S, et al. Impact of polymorphism of the regulatory subunit of the ?-calpain (CAPN1S) on the proteolysis process and meat tenderness of young cattle. Mol Biol Rep. 2011;38:1295-300 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it can be presumed that the process of meat tenderisation was especially connected with MHC polymorphism. ..
- Pinto L, Ferraz J, Meirelles F, Eler J, Rezende F, Carvalho M, et al. Association of SNPs on CAPN1 and CAST genes with tenderness in Nellore cattle. Genet Mol Res. 2010;9:1431-42 pubmed..An additive-by-additive epistatic interaction was observed between CAPN4751 and markers on the CAST gene. In conclusion, these markers should be considered for use in breeding programs. ..
- Chai H, Lim D, Jung E, Choi B, Cho Y. Understanding the interaction determinants of CAPN1 inhibition by CAST4 from bovines using molecular modeling techniques. Molecules. 2014;19:14316-51 pubmed publisher..in the geometry between the pharmacophore features and its shape constraints identified using our modeled bovine CAPN1/CAST4 complex structures...
- Tizioto P, Gromboni C, Nogueira A, de Souza M, Mudadu M, Tholon P, et al. Calcium and potassium content in beef: influences on tenderness and associations with molecular markers in Nellore cattle. Meat Sci. 2014;96:436-40 pubmed publisher..Additionally, a significant effect (P?0.015) of a SNP in the calcium-activated neutral protease 1 (CAPN1) gene on Ca content was observed...
- Cheong H, Yoon D, Park B, Kim L, Bae J, Namgoong S, et al. A single nucleotide polymorphism in CAPN1 associated with marbling score in Korean cattle. BMC Genet. 2008;9:33 pubmed publisher..between genetic polymorphisms of the micromolar calcium-activated neutral protease gene (micro-calpain, CAPN1) and carcass traits in Korean cattle (also known as Hanwoo)...
- Dong Y, Wu Y, Wu M, Wang S, Zhang J, Xie Z, et al. Activation of protease calpain by oxidized and glycated LDL increases the degradation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase. J Cell Mol Med. 2009;13:2899-910 pubmed publisher..HOG-LDL may impair endothelial function by inducing calpain-mediated eNOS degradation in a ROS- and Ca(2+)-dependent manner. ..
- Aviles C, Azor P, Pannier L, Hamill R, Membrillo A, Molina A. New single nucleotide polymorphisms in the mu-calpain gene in Spanish maternal beef breeds. Anim Biotechnol. 2009;20:161-4 pubmed publisher..play an important role in the postmortem tenderization process of meat and several SNP in the mu-calpain gene (CAPN1) have been reported to be associated with tenderness in beef cattle...
- Zhang Z, Biesiadecki B, Jin J. Selective deletion of the NH2-terminal variable region of cardiac troponin T in ischemia reperfusion by myofibril-associated mu-calpain cleavage. Biochemistry. 2006;45:11681-94 pubmed..With the functional consequences of removing the NH2-terminal variable region of TnT, the mu-calpain-mediated proteolytic modification of TnT may act as an acute mechanism to adjust muscle contractility under stress conditions. ..
- Allais S, Journaux L, Leveziel H, Payet Duprat N, Raynaud P, Hocquette J, et al. Effects of polymorphisms in the calpastatin and ?-calpain genes on meat tenderness in 3 French beef breeds. J Anim Sci. 2011;89:1-11 pubmed publisher..allelic frequencies and to test the association of polymorphisms in the calpastatin (CAST) and µ-calpain (CAPN1) genes with meat tenderness in 3 French beef breeds...
- Chung H, Davis M. Effects of calpain genotypes on meat tenderness and carcass traits of Angus bulls. Mol Biol Rep. 2011;38:4575-81 pubmed publisher..Designing of primers based on the calpain regulatory subunit (CAPNS) and u-calpian (CAPN1) genes...
- Cafe L, McIntyre B, Robinson D, Geesink G, Barendse W, Pethick D, et al. Production and processing studies on calpain-system gene markers for tenderness in Brahman cattle: 2. Objective meat quality. J Anim Sci. 2010;88:3059-69 pubmed publisher..Gene marker status for mu-calpain (CAPN1-4751 and CAPN1-316) was also determined for inclusion in statistical analyses...
- Averna M, Stifanese R, De Tullio R, Passalacqua M, Salamino F, Pontremoli S, et al. Functional role of HSP90 complexes with endothelial nitric-oxide synthase (eNOS) and calpain on nitric oxide generation in endothelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:29069-76 pubmed publisher..We propose that the protective effect exerted by HSP90 on eNOS degradation mediated by calpain represents a novel and critical mechanism that assures the reversibility of the intracellular trafficking and activation of the synthase. ..
- Tait R, Shackelford S, Wheeler T, King D, Casas E, Thallman R, et al. ?-Calpain, calpastatin, and growth hormone receptor genetic effects on preweaning performance, carcass quality traits, and residual variance of tenderness in Angus cattle selected to increase minor haplotype and allele frequencies. J Anim Sci. 2014;92:456-66 pubmed publisher..Divergent haplotypes within µ-calpain (CAPN1), and SNP within calpastatin (CAST) and growth hormone receptor (GHR) were successfully selected to increase their ..
- Raynaud F, Fabrice R, Jond Necand C, Carole J, Marcilhac A, Anne M, et al. Calpain 1-gamma filamin interaction in muscle cells: a possible in situ regulation by PKC-alpha. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2006;38:404-13 pubmed..Stimulation of PKC activity in myotubes, prevented gamma-filamin proteolysis by calpain and resulted in an increase in myotube adhesion. ..
- Cui X, Sun Y, Wang X, Yang C, Ju Z, Jiang Q, et al. A g.-1256 A>C in the promoter region of CAPN1 is associated with semen quality traits in Chinese Holstein bulls. Reproduction. 2016;152:101-9 pubmed publisherThe micromolar calcium-activated neutral protease gene (CAPN1) is a physiological candidate gene for sperm motility. However, the molecular mechanisms involved in regulating the expression of the CAPN1 gene in bulls remain unknown...
- Kar P, Chakraborti T, Roy S, Choudhury R, Chakraborti S. Identification of calpastatin and mu-calpain and studies of their association in pulmonary smooth muscle mitochondria. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2007;466:290-9 pubmed
- Barendse W, Harrison B, Hawken R, Ferguson D, Thompson J, Thomas M, et al. Epistasis between calpain 1 and its inhibitor calpastatin within breeds of cattle. Genetics. 2007;176:2601-10 pubmed..measurement of epistatic interactions of causative mutations for quantitative trait loci (QTL) at calpain 1 (CAPN1), located on chromosome 29, with causative mutations for QTL variation at calpastatin (CAST), located on ..
- Castro S, RÃos M, Ortiz Y, Manrique C, JimÃ©nez A, Ariza F. Association of single nucleotide polymorphisms in CAPN1, CAST and MB genes with meat color of Brahman and crossbreed cattle. Meat Sci. 2016;117:44-9 pubmed publisherThe objective of this research was to determine the association of SNPs in the candidate genes Calpain (CAPN1), Calpastatin (CAST) and Myoglobin (MB) with colorimetric parameters (L *, a *, b *, C *, hue) in a F1 population (n = 164) ..