Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Scap
Description: SREBF chaperone
Alias: sterol regulatory element-binding protein cleavage-activating protein, SREBP cleavage-activating protein
Species: Chinese hamster
- Yabe D, Xia Z, Adams C, Rawson R. Three mutations in sterol-sensing domain of SCAP block interaction with insig and render SREBP cleavage insensitive to sterols. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:16672-7 pubmed publisher..Sequence analysis of SREBP cleavage-activating protein (SCAP) transcripts from SRD-5 cells revealed the presence of a mutation in one SCAP allele that results in substitution ..
- Feramisco J, Radhakrishnan A, Ikeda Y, Reitz J, Brown M, Goldstein J. Intramembrane aspartic acid in SCAP protein governs cholesterol-induced conformational change. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:3242-7 pubmed publisherThe polytopic membrane protein SCAP transports sterol regulatory element-binding proteins (SREBPs) from the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) to the Golgi, thereby activating cholesterol synthesis...
- Sun L, Seemann J, Goldstein J, Brown M. Sterol-regulated transport of SREBPs from endoplasmic reticulum to Golgi: Insig renders sorting signal in Scap inaccessible to COPII proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:6519-26 pubmed publisher..ER) to the Golgi by preventing the binding of COPII-coated proteins to a hexapeptide sorting signal (MELADL) in Scap, the SREBP-escort protein...
- Huber M, Vesely P, Datta K, Gerace L. Erlins restrict SREBP activation in the ER and regulate cellular cholesterol homeostasis. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:427-36 pubmed publisherCellular cholesterol levels are controlled by endoplasmic reticulum (ER) sterol sensing proteins, which include Scap and Insig-1...
- Zhang Y, Lee K, Kinch L, Clark L, Grishin N, Rosenbaum D, et al. Direct Demonstration That Loop1 of Scap Binds to Loop7: A CRUCIAL EVENT IN CHOLESTEROL HOMEOSTASIS. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:12888-96 pubmed publisherCholesterol homeostasis is mediated by Scap, a polytopic endoplasmic reticulum (ER) protein that transports sterol regulatory element-binding proteins from the ER to Golgi, where they are processed to forms that activate cholesterol ..