Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CTNNB1
Description: catenin beta 1
Alias: CHBCAT, catenin beta-1, beta catenin, catenin (cadherin-associated protein), beta 1, 88kDa
- Lu J, Chuong C, Widelitz R. Isolation and characterization of chicken beta-catenin. Gene. 1997;196:201-7 pubmed..In-situ hybridization and immunostaining showed that in the developing limb, it is specifically expressed in the apical ectodermal ridge, suggesting a role in epithelial-mesenchymal interactions. ..
- Sieiro D, Rios A, Hirst C, Marcelle C. Cytoplasmic NOTCH and membrane-derived ?-catenin link cell fate choice to epithelial-mesenchymal transition during myogenesis. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our results intimately associate the initiation of myogenesis to a change in cell adhesion and may reveal a general principle for coupling cell fate changes to EMT in many developmental and pathological processes. ..
- Zhang W, Stott N. BMP-2-modulated chondrogenic differentiation in vitro involves down-regulation of membrane-bound beta-catenin. Cell Commun Adhes. 2004;11:89-102 pubmed..b>Beta catenin mediated nuclear signaling has been implicated in BMP-2-modulated chondrogenic differentiation in the ..
- Rhee J, Buchan T, Zukerberg L, Lilien J, Balsamo J. Cables links Robo-bound Abl kinase to N-cadherin-bound beta-catenin to mediate Slit-induced modulation of adhesion and transcription. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:883-92 pubmed..Thus, Slit-induced formation of the Robo-N-cadherin complex results in a rapid loss of cadherin-mediated adhesion and has more lasting effects on gene transcription. ..
- Martinez Morales P, Quiroga A, Barbas J, Morales A. SOX5 controls cell cycle progression in neural progenitors by interfering with the WNT-beta-catenin pathway. EMBO Rep. 2010;11:466-72 pubmed publisher..We propose that SOX5 regulates the timing of cell cycle exit by opposing WNT-beta-catenin activity on cell cycle progression. ..
- Kim D, Kim J, Kang S, Jin E. Transforming growth factor-beta3-induced Smad signaling regulates actin reorganization during chondrogenesis of chick leg bud mesenchymal cells. J Cell Biochem. 2009;107:622-9 pubmed publisher..Biochem. (c) 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.This article was published online on 28 May 2009. An error was subsequently identified. This notice is included in the online and print versions to indicate that both have been corrected 8 June 2009. ..
- de Melker A, Desban N, Duband J. Cellular localization and signaling activity of beta-catenin in migrating neural crest cells. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:708-26 pubmed
- Schmidt M, Patterson M, Farrell E, Munsterberg A. Dynamic expression of Lef/Tcf family members and beta-catenin during chick gastrulation, neurulation, and early limb development. Dev Dyn. 2004;229:703-7 pubmed
- Kubo F, Takeichi M, Nakagawa S. Wnt2b controls retinal cell differentiation at the ciliary marginal zone. Development. 2003;130:587-98 pubmed..These results suggest that Wnt2b functions to maintain undifferentiated progenitor cells in the ciliary marginal zone, and thus serves as a putative stem cell factor in the retina. ..
- Cho S, Cepko C. Wnt2b/beta-catenin-mediated canonical Wnt signaling determines the peripheral fates of the chick eye. Development. 2006;133:3167-77 pubmed..Because wingless (wg) plays a similar role in the induction of peripheral eye tissues of Drosophila, these findings indicate a possible conservation of the process that patterns the photoreceptive and support structures of the eye. ..
- Lee Y, Stallcup M. Interplay of Fli-I and FLAP1 for regulation of beta-catenin dependent transcription. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:5052-9 pubmed
- Herrera A, Saade M, Menendez A, Marti E, Pons S. Sustained Wnt/?-catenin signalling causes neuroepithelial aberrations through the accumulation of aPKC at the apical pole. Nat Commun. 2014;5:4168 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we conclude that ?-catenin controls the cell fate and polarity of the neuroblasts through the expression and localization of aPKC...
- Yu M, Guan K, Zhang C. The promoting effect of retinoic acid on proliferation of chicken primordial germ cells by increased expression of cadherin and catenins. Amino Acids. 2011;40:933-41 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that RA, as a bioactive metabolite of vitamin A, may promote PGC proliferation and increase intercellular aggregation of PGCs via E-cadherin and ?/?-catenins expression through the PKC signaling pathway. ..
- Mercado Pimentel M, Hubbard A, Runyan R. Endoglin and Alk5 regulate epithelial-mesenchymal transformation during cardiac valve formation. Dev Biol. 2007;304:420-32 pubmed
- Yang C, Kim J, Li H, Stallcup M. Differential use of functional domains by coiled-coil coactivator in its synergistic coactivator function with beta-catenin or GRIP1. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:3389-97 pubmed..Thus, CoCoA uses different combinations of functional domains to serve as a physiologically relevant component of the Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway and the androgen signaling pathway. ..
- Bae S, Lim W, Jeong W, Lee J, Kim J, Bazer F, et al. Sex-specific expression of CTNNB1 in the gonadal morphogenesis of the chicken. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2013;11:89 pubmed publisherBeta-catenin (CTNNB1), as a key transcriptional regulator in the WNT signal transduction cascade, plays a pivotal role in multiple biological functions such as embryonic development and homeostasis in adults...
- Jourdeuil K, Franz Odendaal T. Gene expression analysis during the induction and patterning of the conjunctival papillae in the chick embryonic eye. Gene Expr Patterns. 2016;22:30-36 pubmed publisher..This study also outlines the similarities between the conjunctival papillae and other placodes and may provide insights into the evolution and development of the conjunctival papillae. ..
- Bae S, Lim W, Jeong W, Lee J, Kim J, Han J, et al. Hormonal regulation of beta-catenin during development of the avian oviduct and its expression in epithelial cell-derived ovarian carcinogenesis. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2014;382:46-54 pubmed publisherBeta-catenin (CTNNB1) is a dual function molecule that acts as a key component of the cadherin complex and WNT signaling pathway. It has a crucial role in embryogenesis, tumorigenesis, angiogenesis and progression of metastasis...
- Bian S, Bai J, Chapin H, Le Moellic C, Dong H, Caplan M, et al. Interactions between ?-catenin and the HSlo potassium channel regulates HSlo surface expression. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28264 pubmed publisher..These studies identify for the first time a central role for ?-catenin in mediating Slo surface expression. Additionally we show that Slo overexpression can lead to downregulation of Wnt signaling...
- Huang B, Brugger S, Lyons K. Stage-specific control of connective tissue growth factor (CTGF/CCN2) expression in chondrocytes by Sox9 and beta-catenin. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:27702-12 pubmed publisher..Hence, we propose that differential occupancy of the TCF x LEF x Sox9 site by Sox9 versus beta-catenin restricts high levels of Ccn2 expression to hypertrophic chondrocytes. ..
- Chalpe A, Prasad M, Henke A, Paulson A. Regulation of cadherin expression in the chicken neural crest by the Wnt/?-catenin signaling pathway. Cell Adh Migr. 2010;4:431-8 pubmed
- Kawakami Y, Capdevila J, Buscher D, Itoh T, Rodriguez Esteban C, Izpisua Belmonte J. WNT signals control FGF-dependent limb initiation and AER induction in the chick embryo. Cell. 2001;104:891-900 pubmed..Thus, three WNT signals mediated by beta-catenin control both limb initiation and AER induction in the vertebrate embryo. ..