Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: zyg-1
Description: Probable serine/threonine-protein kinase zyg-1
Alias: Probable serine/threonine-protein kinase zyg-1
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- O Connell K, Caron C, Kopish K, Hurd D, Kemphues K, Li Y, et al. The C. elegans zyg-1 gene encodes a regulator of centrosome duplication with distinct maternal and paternal roles in the embryo. Cell. 2001;105:547-58 pubmed..ZYG-1 is therefore a key molecular component of the centrosome/centriole duplication process. ..
- O Connell K, Leys C, White J. A genetic screen for temperature-sensitive cell-division mutants of Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 1998;149:1303-21 pubmed..We conclude that this approach can be used to identify mutations that affect various aspects of the cell-division cycle. ..
- Leidel S, Delattre M, Cerutti L, Baumer K, GONCZY P. SAS-6 defines a protein family required for centrosome duplication in C. elegans and in human cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:115-25 pubmed..Therefore, HsSAS-6 is also required for centrosome duplication, indicating that the function of SAS-6-related proteins has been widely conserved during evolution. ..
- Song M, Liu Y, Anderson D, Jahng W, O Connell K. Protein phosphatase 2A-SUR-6/B55 regulates centriole duplication in C. elegans by controlling the levels of centriole assembly factors. Dev Cell. 2011;20:563-71 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings indicate that PP2A-SUR-6 promotes centriole assembly by protecting ZYG-1 and SAS-5 from degradation. ..
- Ródenas E, González Aguilera C, Ayuso C, Askjaer P. Dissection of the NUP107 nuclear pore subcomplex reveals a novel interaction with spindle assembly checkpoint protein MAD1 in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:930-44 pubmed publisher..Thus our results strengthen the emerging connection between nuclear pore proteins and chromosome segregation. ..
- Lettman M, Wong Y, Viscardi V, Niessen S, Chen S, Shiau A, et al. Direct binding of SAS-6 to ZYG-1 recruits SAS-6 to the mother centriole for cartwheel assembly. Dev Cell. 2013;25:284-98 pubmed publisher..We propose that ZYG-1 binding to the SAS-6 coiled coil recruits the SAS-6-SAS-5 complex to the mother centriole, where a ZYG-1 kinase activity-dependent step, whose target is unlikely to be SAS-6, triggers cartwheel assembly. ..
- Stubenvoll M, Medley J, Irwin M, Song M. ATX-2, the C. elegans Ortholog of Human Ataxin-2, Regulates Centrosome Size and Microtubule Dynamics. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006370 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that RNA-binding proteins play an active role in controlling MT dynamics and provide insight into the control of proper centrosome size and MT dynamics. ..
- Dammermann A, MULLER REICHERT T, Pelletier L, Habermann B, Desai A, Oegema K. Centriole assembly requires both centriolar and pericentriolar material proteins. Dev Cell. 2004;7:815-29 pubmed..Thus, both centriolar and pericentriolar material proteins contribute to centriole assembly. ..
- Peel N, Dougherty M, Goeres J, Liu Y, O Connell K. The C. elegans F-box proteins LIN-23 and SEL-10 antagonize centrosome duplication by regulating ZYG-1 levels. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:3535-44 pubmed..Co-depletion of LIN-23 and SEL-10 suggests these proteins function cooperatively. Because SEL-10 is the homolog of human FBW7, which is frequently mutated in cancer, our findings have implications for understanding tumorigenesis...