Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: zen-4
Description: Kinesin-like protein
Alias: Kinesin-like protein
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Verbrugghe K, White J. SPD-1 is required for the formation of the spindle midzone but is not essential for the completion of cytokinesis in C. elegans embryos. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1755-60 pubmed..Also, it can localize to the midzone when other midzone components are depleted, suggesting that SPD-1 may play an early role in the pathway of midzone assembly. ..
- White E, Raghuraman H, Perozo E, Glotzer M. Binding of the CYK-4 subunit of the centralspindlin complex induces a large scale conformational change in the kinesin subunit. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:19785-95 pubmed publisher..CYK-4 binding decreases the rate of ZEN-4-mediated microtubule gliding. These results constrain models for the molecular organization of centralspindlin. ..
- Morita K, Hirono K, Han M. The Caenorhabditis elegans ect-2 RhoGEF gene regulates cytokinesis and migration of epidermal P cells. EMBO Rep. 2005;6:1163-8 pubmed..We propose a model in which ECT-2GEF not only activates RHO-1 for P-cell cytokinesis, but also collaborates with UNC-73GEF and at least two Rac proteins to regulate P-cell migration. ..
- Dumont J, Oegema K, Desai A. A kinetochore-independent mechanism drives anaphase chromosome separation during acentrosomal meiosis. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:894-901 pubmed publisher..We suggest that separation is controlled by a meiosis-specific chromosomal domain to coordinate cohesin removal and chromosome segregation. ..
- Portereiko M, Saam J, Mango S. ZEN-4/MKLP1 is required to polarize the foregut epithelium. Curr Biol. 2004;14:932-41 pubmed..Microtubules and actin are disorganized in zen-4 mutants compared to the wild-type. We suggest that ZEN-4/MKLP1 and CYK-4/RhoGAP regulate an early step in epithelial polarization that is required to establish the apical domain and CeAJ. ..
- Romano A, Guse A, Krascenicova I, Schnabel H, Schnabel R, Glotzer M. CSC-1: a subunit of the Aurora B kinase complex that binds to the survivin-like protein BIR-1 and the incenp-like protein ICP-1. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:229-36 pubmed..ICP-1 dramatically stimulates AIR-2 kinase activity. This activity is not stimulated by CSC-1/BIR-1, suggesting that these two subunits function as targeting subunits for AIR-2 kinase. ..
- Gruneberg U, Glotzer M, Gartner A, Nigg E. The CeCDC-14 phosphatase is required for cytokinesis in the Caenorhabditis elegans embryo. J Cell Biol. 2002;158:901-14 pubmed..These findings identify the CDC14 phosphatase as an important regulator of central spindle formation and cytokinesis in a metazoan organism. ..
- Zhou K, Rolls M, Hanna Rose W. A postmitotic function and distinct localization mechanism for centralspindlin at a stable intercellular bridge. Dev Biol. 2013;376:13-22 pubmed publisher..We present evidence that centralspindlin function at the rachis bridge involves ZEN-4 action on the microtubules as opposed to the regulation of the actin cytoskeleton mediated by CYK-4 during cytokinesis. ..
- Lee K, Esmaeili B, Zealley B, Mishima M. Direct interaction between centralspindlin and PRC1 reinforces mechanical resilience of the central spindle. Nat Commun. 2015;6:7290 pubmed publisher..This mechanism involves the direct interaction of two different types of conserved microtubule bundlers that are crucial for central spindle formation, PRC1 and centralspindlin. ..
- Mishima M, Pavicic V, Gruneberg U, Nigg E, Glotzer M. Cell cycle regulation of central spindle assembly. Nature. 2004;430:908-13 pubmed..Thus, phosphoregulation of the motor domain of MKLP1 kinesin ensures that central spindle assembly occurs at the appropriate time in the cell cycle and maintains genomic stability. ..
- Basant A, Lekomtsev S, Tse Y, Zhang D, Longhini K, Petronczki M, et al. Aurora B kinase promotes cytokinesis by inducing centralspindlin oligomers that associate with the plasma membrane. Dev Cell. 2015;33:204-15 pubmed publisher..Therefore, CPC-directed centralspindlin oligomerization during anaphase induces contractile ring assembly at the membrane. ..