Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: xbp-1
Description: X-box Binding Protein homolog
Alias: X-box Binding Protein homolog
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Mao X, Crowder C. Protein misfolding induces hypoxic preconditioning via a subset of the unfolded protein response machinery. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:5033-42 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a model where hypoxia-induced misfolded proteins trigger the activation of IRE-1, which along with GCN-2 controls an adaptive response that is essential to HP. ..
- Shim J, Umemura T, Nothstein E, Rongo C. The unfolded protein response regulates glutamate receptor export from the endoplasmic reticulum. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:4818-28 pubmed..Expression of XBP-1, a component of the UPR pathway, is elevated in neurons during development. Our results suggest that UPR signaling is a critical step in neural function that is needed for glutamate receptor assembly and secretion. ..
- Taylor R, Dillin A. XBP-1 is a cell-nonautonomous regulator of stress resistance and longevity. Cell. 2013;153:1435-47 pubmed publisher..Our findings point toward a secreted ER stress signal (SERSS) that promotes ER stress resistance and longevity. ..
- Glover Cutter K, Lin S, Blackwell T. Integration of the unfolded protein and oxidative stress responses through SKN-1/Nrf. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003701 pubmed publisher..Regulatory integration through SKN-1/Nrf may coordinate ER and cytoplasmic homeostasis. ..
- Guo B, Huang X, Zhang P, Qi L, Liang Q, Zhang X, et al. Genome-wide screen identifies signaling pathways that regulate autophagy during Caenorhabditis elegans development. EMBO Rep. 2014;15:705-13 pubmed publisher..Our study thus provides a framework for understanding the role of signaling pathways in regulating autophagy under physiological conditions. ..
- Lee D, Singaravelu G, Park B, Ahnn J. Differential requirement of unfolded protein response pathway for calreticulin expression in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Mol Biol. 2007;372:331-40 pubmed
- Eisermann D, Wenzel U, Fitzenberger E. PEK-1 is crucial for hormesis induced by inhibition of the IRE-1/XBP-1 pathway in the Caenorhabditis elegans mev-1 mutant. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;473:1052-1057 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we identified PEK-1 as a mediator of hormesis in the mev-1 mutant of C. elegans which is induced by simultaneous inhibition of XBP-1 and its splicing activator IRE-1 and mediated through activation of the proteasome. ..
- Lim Y, Lee D, Kalichamy K, Hong S, Michalak M, Ahnn J, et al. Sumoylation regulates ER stress response by modulating calreticulin gene expression in XBP-1-dependent mode in Caenorhabditis elegans. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2014;53:399-408 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that sumoylation plays a regulatory role in ER function by controlling the expression of genes required for ER homeostasis in C. elegans...
- Brokate Llanos A, Monje J, Murdoch P, MuÃ±oz M. Developmental defects in a Caenorhabditis elegans model for type III galactosemia. Genetics. 2014;198:1559-69 pubmed publisher..We also observed that gale-1 mutants are hypersensitive to galactose as well as to infections. Interestingly, we found interactions between gale-1 and the unfolded protein response. ..
- Ray A, Zhang S, Rentas C, Caldwell K, Caldwell G. RTCB-1 mediates neuroprotection via XBP-1 mRNA splicing in the unfolded protein response pathway. J Neurosci. 2014;34:16076-85 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these studies highlight the mechanistic intersection of RNA processing and proteostasis in mediating neuroprotection. ..