Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: vab-1
Description: Ephrin receptor 1
Alias: Ephrin receptor 1
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Kanteti R, Dhanasingh I, El Hashani E, Riehm J, Stricker T, Nagy S, et al. C. elegans and mutants with chronic nicotine exposure as a novel model of cancer phenotype. Cancer Biol Ther. 2016;17:91-103 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these studies provide evidence in support of C. elegans as initial in vivo model to study nicotine and its effects on oncogenic mutations identified in humans. ..
- Li X, Johnson R, Park D, Chin Sang I, Chamberlin H. Somatic gonad sheath cells and Eph receptor signaling promote germ-cell death in C. elegans. Cell Death Differ. 2012;19:1080-9 pubmed publisher..This work defines a non-autonomous, pro-apoptotic signaling for efficient physiological cell death, and highlights the dynamic nature of intercellular communication between dying cells and the phagocytes that remove them...
- Tucker M, Han M. Muscle cell migrations of C. elegans are mediated by the alpha-integrin INA-1, Eph receptor VAB-1, and a novel peptidase homologue MNP-1. Dev Biol. 2008;318:215-23 pubmed publisher..Together these results suggest complex interactions between the adjacent epidermal, neuronal, and muscle cells are required to promote proper muscle cell migration during embryogenesis. ..
- Pocock R, Hobert O. Oxygen levels affect axon guidance and neuronal migration in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:894-900 pubmed publisher..Similar genetic pathways may cause aberrant human brain development under hypoxic conditions. ..
- Ghenea S, Boudreau J, Lague N, Chin Sang I. The VAB-1 Eph receptor tyrosine kinase and SAX-3/Robo neuronal receptors function together during C. elegans embryonic morphogenesis. Development. 2005;132:3679-90 pubmed..Gene dosage, non-allelic non-complementation experiments and co-localization of the two receptors are consistent with a model in which these two receptors form a complex and function together during embryogenesis. ..
- Mohamed A, Boudreau J, Yu F, Liu J, Chin Sang I. The Caenorhabditis elegans Eph receptor activates NCK and N-WASP, and inhibits Ena/VASP to regulate growth cone dynamics during axon guidance. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002513 pubmed publisher..We suggest that VAB-1/Eph RTK can stop axonal outgrowth by inhibiting filopodia formation at the growth cone by activating Arp2/3 through a VAB-1/NCK-1/WSP-1 complex and by inhibiting UNC-34/Ena activity. ..
- Grossman E, Giurumescu C, Chisholm A. Mechanisms of ephrin receptor protein kinase-independent signaling in amphid axon guidance in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2013;195:899-913 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of ABL-1 is sufficient to rescue EFN-1 ventral guidance defects cell autonomously. Our results reveal new aspects of Eph signaling in a single axon guidance decision in vivo. ..
- Walck Shannon E, Lucas B, Chin Sang I, Reiner D, Kumfer K, Cochran H, et al. CDC-42 Orients Cell Migration during Epithelial Intercalation in the Caenorhabditis elegans Epidermis. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006415 pubmed publisher..Together, these data establish a previously uncharacterized role for polarized CDC-42, in conjunction with PAR-6, PAR-3 and an Eph receptor, during epithelial intercalation. ..
- Dong B, Moseley Alldredge M, Schwieterman A, Donelson C, McMurry J, Hudson M, et al. EFN-4 functions in LAD-2-mediated axon guidance in Caenorhabditis elegans. Development. 2016;143:1182-91 pubmed publisher..This study thus reveals a potential additional mechanism for ephrins in regulating axon guidance and expands the repertoire of receptors by which ephrins can signal. ..
- Tsuda H, Han S, Yang Y, Tong C, Lin Y, Mohan K, et al. The amyotrophic lateral sclerosis 8 protein VAPB is cleaved, secreted, and acts as a ligand for Eph receptors. Cell. 2008;133:963-77 pubmed publisher..We propose that VAP MSP domains are secreted and act as diffusible hormones for Eph receptors. This work provides insight into mechanisms that may impact the pathogenesis of ALS. ..
- Wang X, Roy P, Holland S, Zhang L, Culotti J, Pawson T. Multiple ephrins control cell organization in C. elegans using kinase-dependent and -independent functions of the VAB-1 Eph receptor. Mol Cell. 1999;4:903-13 pubmed..elegans. ..