Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: unc-86
Description: Transcription factor unc-86
Alias: Transcription factor unc-86
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Horvitz H, Sulston J. Isolation and genetic characterization of cell-lineage mutants of the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 1980;96:435-54 pubmed..Three of the mutants are suppressed by pleiotropic suppressors believed to be specific for null alleles, suggesting that their phenotypes result from the complete absence of gene activity. ..
- Mitani S, Du H, Hall D, Driscoll M, Chalfie M. Combinatorial control of touch receptor neuron expression in Caenorhabditis elegans. Development. 1993;119:773-83 pubmed
- Peden E, Kimberly E, Gengyo Ando K, Mitani S, Xue D. Control of sex-specific apoptosis in C. elegans by the BarH homeodomain protein CEH-30 and the transcriptional repressor UNC-37/Groucho. Genes Dev. 2007;21:3195-207 pubmed
- Shaham S, Bargmann C. Control of neuronal subtype identity by the C. elegans ARID protein CFI-1. Genes Dev. 2002;16:972-83 pubmed..ARID proteins regulate early patterning and muscle fate in Drosophila, but they have not previously been implicated in the control of neuronal subtype identity. ..
- Olsson Carter K, Slack F. The POU transcription factor UNC-86 controls the timing and ventral guidance of Caenorhabditis elegans axon growth. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:1815-25 pubmed publisher..This temporal shift is not dependent on UNC-40 or SAX-3, and does not require the presence of lin-4. We propose that unc-86(lf) HSN axons are misguided due to the temporal decoupling of axon initiation and ventral guidance responses. ..
- Sze J, Ruvkun G. Activity of the Caenorhabditis elegans UNC-86 POU transcription factor modulates olfactory sensitivity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:9560-5 pubmed
- Wang L, Way J. Promoter sequences for the establishment of mec-3 expression in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Mech Dev. 1996;56:183-96 pubmed..Adjacent to the UNC-86 recognition site is an additional sequence that is important for establishment of mec-3 expression and is presumably recognized by an unidentified transcription factor. ..
- Lichtsteiner S, Tjian R. Synergistic activation of transcription by UNC-86 and MEC-3 in Caenorhabditis elegans embryo extracts. EMBO J. 1995;14:3937-45 pubmed..These studies provide direct functional evidence for coordinated transcriptional activation by two C.elegans DNA binding proteins that have been defined genetically as regulators of gene expression during embryogenesis. ..
- Gordon P, Hobert O. A competition mechanism for a homeotic neuron identity transformation in C. elegans. Dev Cell. 2015;34:206-19 pubmed publisher..Homeotic control of neuronal identity programs has implications for the evolution of neuronal cell types. ..