Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: unc 52
Description: Basement membrane proteoglycan;hypothetical protein
Alias: Basement membrane proteoglycan;hypothetical protein
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Etheridge T, Oczypok E, Lehmann S, Fields B, Shephard F, Jacobson L, et al. Calpains mediate integrin attachment complex maintenance of adult muscle in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002471 pubmed publisher..Since C. elegans lacks satellite cells, this mechanism is intrinsic to the muscles and raises the question if such a mechanism also exists in higher metazoans. ..
- Liang X, Dong X, Moerman D, Shen K, Wang X. Sarcomeres Pattern Proprioceptive Sensory Dendritic Endings through UNC-52/Perlecan in C.Â elegans. Dev Cell. 2015;33:388-400 pubmed publisher..Hence, the muscular contractile apparatus provides the instructive cues to pattern proprioceptive dendrites. ..
- Zhang Y, Li W, Li L, Li Y, Fu R, Zhu Y, et al. Structural damage in the C. elegans epidermis causes release of STA-2 and induction of an innate immune response. Immunity. 2015;42:309-320 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings uncover an evolutionarily conserved mechanism for the epithelial barriers to detect danger and activate immune defense. ..
- Jensen L, Møller T, Larsen S, Jakobsen H, Olsen A. A new role for laminins as modulators of protein toxicity in Caenorhabditis elegans. Aging Cell. 2012;11:82-92 pubmed publisher..Laminins are evolutionarily conserved, and thus the BM may play a much more causal role in protein misfolding diseases than currently recognized. ..
- Ono K, Yu R, Ono S. Structural components of the nonstriated contractile apparatuses in the Caenorhabditis elegans gonadal myoepithelial sheath and their essential roles for ovulation. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1093-105 pubmed..Our results provide basic information that helps understanding the mechanism of sheath contraction during ovulation and establishing a new model to study morphogenesis of nonstriated muscle. ..
- Merz D, Alves G, Kawano T, Zheng H, Culotti J. UNC-52/perlecan affects gonadal leader cell migrations in C. elegans hermaphrodites through alterations in growth factor signaling. Dev Biol. 2003;256:173-86 pubmed..We propose that UNC-52 serves dual roles in C. elegans larval development in the maintenance of muscle structure and the regulation of growth factor-like signaling pathways. ..
- Yuan Y, Kadiyala C, Ching T, Hakimi P, Saha S, Xu H, et al. Enhanced energy metabolism contributes to the extended life span of calorie-restricted Caenorhabditis elegans. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:31414-26 pubmed publisher..We conclude that an increase, not a decrease in fuel consumption, via an accelerated oxidation of fuels in the TCA cycle is involved in life span regulation; this mechanism may be conserved across phylogeny. ..
- Zahreddine H, Zhang H, Diogon M, Nagamatsu Y, Labouesse M. CRT-1/calreticulin and the E3 ligase EEL-1/HUWE1 control hemidesmosome maturation in C. elegans development. Curr Biol. 2010;20:322-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings should help understand how hemidesmosome dynamics are regulated in vertebrate systems. ..