Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: unc-104
Description: Kinesin-like protein unc-104
Alias: Kinesin-like protein unc-104
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Lickteig K, Duerr J, Frisby D, Hall D, Rand J, Miller D. Regulation of neurotransmitter vesicles by the homeodomain protein UNC-4 and its transcriptional corepressor UNC-37/groucho in Caenorhabditis elegans cholinergic motor neurons. J Neurosci. 2001;21:2001-14 pubmed..The temporal correlation of these events may mean that a common unc-4-dependent mechanism controls both the specificity of synaptic inputs as well as the strength of synaptic outputs for these motor neurons. ..
- Troulinaki K, Tavernarakis N. Endocytosis and intracellular trafficking contribute to necrotic neurodegeneration in C. elegans. EMBO J. 2012;31:654-66 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate a prominent role for endocytosis in cellular destruction during neurodegeneration, which is likely conserved in metazoans. ..
- Meng L, Mulcahy B, Cook S, Neubauer M, Wan A, Jin Y, et al. The Cell Death Pathway Regulates Synapse Elimination through Cleavage of Gelsolin in Caenorhabditis elegans Neurons. Cell Rep. 2015;11:1737-48 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that activation of the CED pathway contributes to selective elimination of synapses through disassembly of the actin filament network. ..
- Al Bassam J, Roger B, Halpain S, Milligan R. Analysis of the weak interactions of ADP-Unc104 and ADP-kinesin with microtubules and their inhibition by MAP2c. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2007;64:377-89 pubmed..This is reminiscent of the defects we have observed in Unc104 and kinesin mutants in which the positively charged residues in K-loop and neck coiled-coil domains were removed. ..
- Mörck C, Axäng C, Pilon M. A genetic analysis of axon guidance in the C elegans pharynx. Dev Biol. 2003;260:158-75 pubmed..We isolated five novel mutants in a screen for worms exhibiting abnormal morphology of the M2 neurons. These mutants define a new gene class designated mnm (M neuron morphology abnormal). ..
- Zahn T, Angleson J, MacMorris M, Domke E, Hutton J, Schwartz C, et al. Dense core vesicle dynamics in Caenorhabditis elegans neurons and the role of kinesin UNC-104. Traffic. 2004;5:544-59 pubmed..Study of a number of candidate mutants identified the kinesin UNC-104 (KIF1A) as the microtubule motor that is specifically responsible for anterograde axonal transport of DCVs at velocities of 1.6 microm/s-2.7 microm/s. ..
- Goodwin P, Sasaki J, Juo P. Cyclin-dependent kinase 5 regulates the polarized trafficking of neuropeptide-containing dense-core vesicles in Caenorhabditis elegans motor neurons. J Neurosci. 2012;32:8158-72 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which CDK-5 regulates DCV polarity by both promoting DCV trafficking in axons and preventing dynein-dependent DCV trafficking into dendrites. ..
- Yue Y, Sheng Y, Zhang H, Yu Y, Huo L, Feng W, et al. The CC1-FHA dimer is essential for KIF1A-mediated axonal transport of synaptic vesicles in C. elegans. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;435:441-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, together with previous structural and biochemical studies, the in vivo data presented in this study firmly establish the essential role of the CC1-FHA dimer for KIF1A-mediated neuronal transport. ..
- Wu G, Muthaiyan Shanmugam M, Bhan P, Huang Y, Wagner O. Identification and Characterization of LIN-2(CASK) as a Regulator of Kinesin-3 UNC-104(KIF1A) Motility and Clustering in Neurons. Traffic. 2016;17:891-907 pubmed publisher..From our study, we conclude that LIN-2 and SYD-2 act in a functional complex to regulate the motor with LIN-2 being the more prominent activator. ..
- Stavoe A, Hill S, Hall D, COLON RAMOS D. KIF1A/UNC-104 Transports ATG-9 to Regulate Neurodevelopment and Autophagy at Synapses. Dev Cell. 2016;38:171-85 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that autophagy is spatially regulated in neurons through the transport of ATG-9 by KIF1A/UNC-104 to regulate neurodevelopment. ..
- Niwa S, Lipton D, Morikawa M, Zhao C, Hirokawa N, Lu H, et al. Autoinhibition of a Neuronal Kinesin UNC-104/KIF1A Regulates the Size and Density of Synapses. Cell Rep. 2016;16:2129-2141 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the autoinhibitory mechanism is used to regulate the distribution of transport cargoes and is important for synaptogenesis inÂ vivo. ..
- Xu Y, Ren X, Quinn C, Wadsworth W. Axon response to guidance cues is stimulated by acetylcholine in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2011;189:899-906 pubmed publisher..Together, our results show that for specific neurons acetylcholine plays an important role in vivo as a modulator of axon responses to guidance cues. ..
- Zheng Q, Ahlawat S, Schaefer A, Mahoney T, Koushika S, Nonet M. The vesicle protein SAM-4 regulates the processivity of synaptic vesicle transport. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004644 pubmed publisher..Our data support a model in which the SV protein SAM-4 regulates the processivity of SV transport. ..
- Al Bassam J, Cui Y, Klopfenstein D, Carragher B, Vale R, Milligan R. Distinct conformations of the kinesin Unc104 neck regulate a monomer to dimer motor transition. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:743-53 pubmed..We suggest that the Unc104 neck regulates motility by switching from a self-folded, repressed state to a dimerized conformation that can support fast processive movement. ..
- Gally C, Bessereau J. GABA is dispensable for the formation of junctional GABA receptor clusters in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Neurosci. 2003;23:2591-9 pubmed..Therefore, at GABAergic neuromuscular junctions, GABA receptor clustering requires nerve-muscle interaction but not GABA neurotransmission. ..
- Jacob T, Kaplan J. The EGL-21 carboxypeptidase E facilitates acetylcholine release at Caenorhabditis elegans neuromuscular junctions. J Neurosci. 2003;23:2122-30 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that egl-21 CPE and egl-3 PC2 process endogenous neuropeptides that facilitate acetylcholine release at C. elegans NMJs. ..