Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tra-2
Description: Sex-determining transformer protein 2;TRAnsformer: XX animals transformed into males
Alias: Sex-determining transformer protein 2;TRAnsformer: XX animals transformed into males
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Schumacher B, Hanazawa M, Lee M, Nayak S, Volkmann K, Hofmann E, et al. Translational repression of C. elegans p53 by GLD-1 regulates DNA damage-induced apoptosis. Cell. 2005;120:357-68 pubmed..This study reveals that the regulation of cep-1/p53 translation influences DNA damage-induced apoptosis and demonstrates the physiological importance of this mechanism. ..
- Kuwabara P, Okkema P, Kimble J. tra-2 encodes a membrane protein and may mediate cell communication in the Caenorhabditis elegans sex determination pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 1992;3:461-73 pubmed..If so, then regulation of sexual fate by her-1 and tra-2 might provide a general model for the coordination of groups of cells to follow a single cell fate...
- Sokol S, Kuwabara P. Proteolysis in Caenorhabditis elegans sex determination: cleavage of TRA-2A by TRA-3. Genes Dev. 2000;14:901-6 pubmed..Cleavage of TRA-2A by TRA-3 generates a peptide predicted to have feminizing activity. These results indicate that proteolysis regulated by calcium may control some aspects of sexual cell fate in C. elegans. ..
- Detwiler M, Reuben M, Li X, Rogers E, Lin R. Two zinc finger proteins, OMA-1 and OMA-2, are redundantly required for oocyte maturation in C. elegans. Dev Cell. 2001;1:187-99 pubmed..The Oma prophase arrest is released by inactivation of a MYT-1-like kinase, suggesting that OMA-1 and OMA-2 function upstream of MYT-1 as positive regulators of prophase progression during meiotic maturation. ..
- Hamaoka B, Dann C, Geisbrecht B, Leahy D. Crystal structure of Caenorhabditis elegans HER-1 and characterization of the interaction between HER-1 and TRA-2A. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:11673-8 pubmed
- Shimada M, Kanematsu K, Tanaka K, Yokosawa H, Kawahara H. Proteasomal ubiquitin receptor RPN-10 controls sex determination in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:5356-71 pubmed..Furthermore, TRA-2 proteins accumulated in rpn-10-defective worms. Our results show that the RPN-10-mediated ubiquitin pathway is indispensable for control of the TRA-2-mediated sex-determining pathway. ..
- Graves L, Segal S, Goodwin E. TRA-1 regulates the cellular distribution of the tra-2 mRNA in C. elegans. Nature. 1999;399:802-5 pubmed..The fact that TRA-1 is part of a conserved family of proteins raises the possibility that GLI family members are both transcriptional and post-transcriptional regulators of gene expression. ..