Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tax-4
Description: Cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel
Alias: Cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Masse I, Molin L, Mouchiroud L, Vanhems P, Palladino F, Billaud M, et al. A novel role for the SMG-1 kinase in lifespan and oxidative stress resistance in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3354 pubmed publisher..We propose that the role of SMG-1 in lifespan regulation is at least partly dependent on its function in oxidative stress resistance. Taken together, our results unveil a novel role for SMG-1 in lifespan regulation. ..
- Hellman A, Shen K. Sensory transduction channel subunits, tax-4 and tax-2, modify presynaptic molecular architecture in C. elegans. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24562 pubmed publisher..The change in puncta number can be rescued cell-autonomously in AFD. These results suggest that sensory transduction genes tax-4 and tax-2 are necessary for the proper assembly of presynapses. ..
- Liu J, Ward A, Gao J, Dong Y, Nishio N, Inada H, et al. C. elegans phototransduction requires a G protein-dependent cGMP pathway and a taste receptor homolog. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:715-22 pubmed publisher..Our results identify a phototransduction cascade in C. elegans and implicate the function of a 'taste receptor' in phototransduction. ..
- Bretscher A, Kodama Namba E, Busch K, Murphy R, Soltesz Z, Laurent P, et al. Temperature, oxygen, and salt-sensing neurons in C. elegans are carbon dioxide sensors that control avoidance behavior. Neuron. 2011;69:1099-113 pubmed publisher..Our results show that C. elegans senses CO(2) using functionally diverse sensory neurons acting homeostatically to minimize exposure to elevated CO(2). ..
- Wasserman S, Beverly M, Bell H, Sengupta P. Regulation of response properties and operating range of the AFD thermosensory neurons by cGMP signaling. Curr Biol. 2011;21:353-62 pubmed publisher..Our observations provide insights into the mechanisms by which a single sensory neuron type encodes features of a given stimulus to generate different behaviors in defined zones. ..
- Kuhara A, Inada H, Katsura I, Mori I. Negative regulation and gain control of sensory neurons by the C. elegans calcineurin TAX-6. Neuron. 2002;33:751-63 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that stimulus-evoked calcium entry activates calcineurin, which in turn negatively regulates multiple aspects of sensory signaling. ..
- Olsen D, Phu D, Libby L, Cormier J, Montez K, Ryder E, et al. Chemosensory control of surface antigen switching in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Genes Brain Behav. 2007;6:240-52 pubmed..These results taken together are consistent with the hypothesis that ILD is triggered by environmental signals detected by the nematode's chemosensory neurons. ..
- Wojtyniak M, Brear A, O Halloran D, Sengupta P. Cell- and subunit-specific mechanisms of CNG channel ciliary trafficking and localization in C. elegans. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:4381-95 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover unexpected diversity in the mechanisms that traffic and localize CNG channel subunits to cilia both within and across cell types, highlighting the essential contribution of this process to cellular functions. ..
- Maglioni S, Schiavi A, Runci A, Shaik A, Ventura N. Mitochondrial stress extends lifespan in C. elegans through neuronal hormesis. Exp Gerontol. 2014;56:89-98 pubmed publisher..Our work supports the potential anti-aging effect of neuronal hormesis and open interesting possibility for the development of therapeutic strategy for age-associated neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Smith E, Martinez Velazquez L, Ringstad N. A chemoreceptor that detects molecular carbon dioxide. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:37071-81 pubmed publisher..We speculate that in other animals, receptors similarly capable of detecting molecular CO2 might mediate effects of CO2 on neural circuits and behavior. ..
- Li M, Zhou X, Wang S, Michailidis I, Gong Y, Su D, et al. Structure of a eukaryotic cyclic-nucleotide-gated channel. Nature. 2017;542:60-65 pubmed publisher..This structure provides a new framework for understanding mechanisms of ion permeation, gating and channelopathy of cyclic-nucleotide-gated channels and cyclic nucleotide modulation of related channels. ..
- Couto A, Oda S, Nikolaev V, Soltesz Z, de Bono M. In vivo genetic dissection of O2-evoked cGMP dynamics in a Caenorhabditis elegans gas sensor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E3301-10 pubmed publisher..This variability may reflect stochastic differences in expression of cGMP signaling components. Our work provides in vivo insights into the architecture of neuronal cGMP signaling. ..
- Prahlad V, Cornelius T, Morimoto R. Regulation of the cellular heat shock response in Caenorhabditis elegans by thermosensory neurons. Science. 2008;320:811-4 pubmed publisher..We propose a model whereby this loss of cell autonomy serves to integrate behavioral, metabolic, and stress-related responses to establish an organismal response to environmental change. ..
- Coburn C, Mori I, Ohshima Y, Bargmann C. A cyclic nucleotide-gated channel inhibits sensory axon outgrowth in larval and adult Caenorhabditis elegans: a distinct pathway for maintenance of sensory axon structure. Development. 1998;125:249-58 pubmed..Animals mutant for the daf-11 gene have axon phenotypes that are similar to those of tax-2 and tax 4 mutants; this axon phenotype also has a late time of action...