Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sys-1
Description: SYmmetrical Sister cell hermaphrodite gonad defect
Alias: SYmmetrical Sister cell hermaphrodite gonad defect
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Liu J, Phillips B, Amaya M, Kimble J, Xu W. The C. elegans SYS-1 protein is a bona fide beta-catenin. Dev Cell. 2008;14:751-61 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the SYS-1 protein belongs to the beta-catenin family and suggest that additional divergent beta-catenins await discovery. ..
- Gleason J, Eisenmann D. Wnt signaling controls the stem cell-like asymmetric division of the epithelial seam cells during C. elegans larval development. Dev Biol. 2010;348:58-66 pubmed publisher..elegans larval development, and that Wnt pathway regulation of stem cell-like behavior is conserved in nematodes. ..
- Asahina M, Valenta T, Silhankova M, Korinek V, Jindra M. Crosstalk between a nuclear receptor and beta-catenin signaling decides cell fates in the C. elegans somatic gonad. Dev Cell. 2006;11:203-11 pubmed..This balance relies on direct crossregulation between NHR-25 and the distinct beta-catenin proteins WRM-1 and SYS-1. The nuclear receptor-beta-catenin interaction may be an ancient mechanism of cell-fate decision. ..
- Kidd A, Miskowski J, Siegfried K, Sawa H, Kimble J. A beta-catenin identified by functional rather than sequence criteria and its role in Wnt/MAPK signaling. Cell. 2005;121:761-72 pubmed..We discuss the idea that a similar pathway may be employed broadly in animal development. ..
- Siegfried K, Kidd A, Chesney M, Kimble J. The sys-1 and sys-3 genes cooperate with Wnt signaling to establish the proximal-distal axis of the Caenorhabditis elegans gonad. Genetics. 2004;166:171-86 pubmed..We suggest that sys-3 is a new key gene in this pathway and that gon-14, gon-15, and gon-16 may cooperate with POP-1 and SYS-1 at multiple stages of gonad development. ..
- Phillips B, Kidd A, King R, Hardin J, Kimble J. Reciprocal asymmetry of SYS-1/beta-catenin and POP-1/TCF controls asymmetric divisions in Caenorhabditis elegans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:3231-6 pubmed..We suggest a two-pronged pathway for control of SYS-1:POP-1, which can robustly accomplish differential gene expression in daughters of an asymmetric cell division. ..
- Yang X, Huang S, Lo M, Mizumoto K, Sawa H, Xu W, et al. Distinct and mutually inhibitory binding by two divergent ?-catenins coordinates TCF levels and activity in C. elegans. Development. 2011;138:4255-65 pubmed publisher..These studies could provide novel insights into cancers arising from aberrant Wnt activation. ..