Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sek-1
Description: Dual specificity mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase sek-1
Alias: Dual specificity mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase sek-1
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Pellegrino M, Nargund A, Kirienko N, Gillis R, Fiorese C, Haynes C. Mitochondrial UPR-regulated innate immunity provides resistance to pathogen infection. Nature. 2014;516:414-7 pubmed publisher..We propose that ATFS-1 import efficiency and the UPR(mt) is a means to detect pathogens that target mitochondria and initiate a protective innate immune response. ..
- Fujiki K, Mizuno T, Hisamoto N, Matsumoto K. The Caenorhabditis elegans Ste20-related kinase and Rac-type small GTPase regulate the c-Jun N-terminal kinase signaling pathway mediating the stress response. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:995-1003 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that MAX-2 and MIG-2 play a crucial role in mediating the heavy metal stress response regulated by the KGB-1 pathway. ..
- Salinas L, Maldonado E, Navarro R. Stress-induced germ cell apoptosis by a p53 independent pathway in Caenorhabditis elegans. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:2129-39 pubmed..We conclude that in C. elegans responses to various stresses that do not involve genotoxicity include an increase in germ cell apoptosis through the physiological pathway. ..
- Vashlishan A, Madison J, Dybbs M, Bai J, Sieburth D, Ch ng Q, et al. An RNAi screen identifies genes that regulate GABA synapses. Neuron. 2008;58:346-61 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest these conserved genes are components of signaling pathways that regulate GABA transmission and consequently may play a role in epilepsy and other cognitive or psychiatric disorders. ..
- Yuan Y, Cao P, Smith M, Kramp K, Huang Y, Hisamoto N, et al. Dysregulated LRRK2 signaling in response to endoplasmic reticulum stress leads to dopaminergic neuron degeneration in C. elegans. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22354 pubmed publisher..These observations establish a critical functional link between LRRK2 and ER stress. ..
- Kong C, Tan M, Nathan S. Orthosiphon stamineus protects Caenorhabditis elegans against Staphylococcus aureus infection through immunomodulation. Biol Open. 2014;3:644-55 pubmed publisher..stamineus leaf extract is a promising anti-infective agent that confers an advantage in survival against S. aureus infection by modulating the immune response of the infected host. ..
- Pietsch K, Saul N, Menzel R, Sturzenbaum S, Steinberg C. Quercetin mediated lifespan extension in Caenorhabditis elegans is modulated by age-1, daf-2, sek-1 and unc-43. Biogerontology. 2009;10:565-78 pubmed publisher..However, four genes were pinpointed to be required for the quercetin derived lifespan extension, namely age-1, daf-2, unc-43 and sek-1. The latter two have, to date, not been linked to quercetin-mediated lifespan extension. ..
- Anyanful A, Easley K, Benian G, Kalman D. Conditioning protects C. elegans from lethal effects of enteropathogenic E. coli by activating genes that regulate lifespan and innate immunity. Cell Host Microbe. 2009;5:450-62 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the molecular pathways that control innate immunity and lifespan may be regulated or "conditioned" by exposure to pathogens to allow survival in noxious environments. ..
- Richardson C, Kooistra T, Kim D. An essential role for XBP-1 in host protection against immune activation in C. elegans. Nature. 2010;463:1092-5 pubmed publisher..elegans development and indicate that an ancient, conserved role for XBP-1 may be to protect the host organism from the detrimental effects of mounting an innate immune response to microbes. ..
- Tanaka Hino M, Sagasti A, Hisamoto N, Kawasaki M, Nakano S, Ninomiya Tsuji J, et al. SEK-1 MAPKK mediates Ca2+ signaling to determine neuronal asymmetric development in Caenorhabditis elegans. EMBO Rep. 2002;3:56-62 pubmed..Thus, the NSY-1-SEK-1-MAPK cascade is activated by Ca2+ signaling through CaMKII and establishes asymmetric cell fate decision during neuronal development. ..