Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: pop-1
Description: Protein pop-1
Alias: Protein pop-1
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Owraghi M, Broitman Maduro G, Luu T, Roberson H, Maduro M. Roles of the Wnt effector POP-1/TCF in the C. elegans endomesoderm specification gene network. Dev Biol. 2010;340:209-21 pubmed publisher..The findings reported here shed new light on the flexibility of combinatorial control mechanisms in endomesoderm specification in Caenorhabditis. ..
- Korswagen H, Coudreuse D, Betist M, van de Water S, Zivkovic D, Clevers H. The Axin-like protein PRY-1 is a negative regulator of a canonical Wnt pathway in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1291-302 pubmed..We conclude that a highly divergent destruction complex consisting of PRY-1, SGG-1, and APR-1 regulates BAR-1/beta-catenin signaling in C. elegans. ..
- Gleason J, Korswagen H, Eisenmann D. Activation of Wnt signaling bypasses the requirement for RTK/Ras signaling during C. elegans vulval induction. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1281-90 pubmed..These data suggest that hyperactivation of Wnt signaling is sufficient to cause VPCs to adopt induced fates and that a canonical Wnt pathway may play an important role during C. elegans vulval induction. ..
- Siegfried K, Kimble J. POP-1 controls axis formation during early gonadogenesis in C. elegans. Development. 2002;129:443-53 pubmed..This control over proximal-distal polarity extends our view of Wnt signaling in C. elegans, which had previously been known to control anterior-posterior polarities. ..
- Calvo D, Victor M, Gay F, Sui G, Luke M, Dufourcq P, et al. A POP-1 repressor complex restricts inappropriate cell type-specific gene transcription during Caenorhabditis elegans embryogenesis. EMBO J. 2001;20:7197-208 pubmed..Furthermore, they identify a strategy by which concerted actions of histone deacetylases and other co-repressors ensure maximal repression of inappropriate cell type-specific gene transcription. ..
- Korswagen H, Herman M, Clevers H. Distinct beta-catenins mediate adhesion and signalling functions in C. elegans. Nature. 2000;406:527-32 pubmed..elegans, HMR-1. We conclude that a canonical Wnt pathway exists in C. elegans. Furthermore, our analysis shows that the functions of C. elegans beta-catenins in adhesion and in signalling are performed by separate proteins. ..
- Lin R, Hill R, Priess J. POP-1 and anterior-posterior fate decisions in C. elegans embryos. Cell. 1998;92:229-39 pubmed..We show that loss of pop-1(+) activity leads to several types of anterior cells adopting the fates of their posterior sisters. These results suggest a mechanism for the invariance of blastomere lineages. ..
- Maduro M, Kasmir J, Zhu J, Rothman J. The Wnt effector POP-1 and the PAL-1/Caudal homeoprotein collaborate with SKN-1 to activate C. elegans endoderm development. Dev Biol. 2005;285:510-23 pubmed
- Dreier L, Burbea M, Kaplan J. LIN-23-mediated degradation of beta-catenin regulates the abundance of GLR-1 glutamate receptors in the ventral nerve cord of C. elegans. Neuron. 2005;46:51-64 pubmed..We hypothesize that LIN-23-mediated degradation of BAR-1 beta-catenin regulates the transcription of Wnt target genes, which in turn alter postsynaptic properties. ..
- Murgan S, Kari W, RothbÃ¤cher U, IchÃ© Torres M, MÃ©lÃ©nec P, Hobert O, et al. Atypical Transcriptional Activation by TCF via a Zic Transcription Factor in C.Â elegans Neuronal Precursors. Dev Cell. 2015;33:737-45 pubmed publisher..This mechanism is later reinforced by specific bHLH factors. This study reveals an atypical mode of action for TCF that may apply to other binary decisions mediated by Wnt signaling. ..
- Gleason J, Eisenmann D. Wnt signaling controls the stem cell-like asymmetric division of the epithelial seam cells during C. elegans larval development. Dev Biol. 2010;348:58-66 pubmed publisher..elegans larval development, and that Wnt pathway regulation of stem cell-like behavior is conserved in nematodes. ..
- Yang X, Huang S, Lo M, Mizumoto K, Sawa H, Xu W, et al. Distinct and mutually inhibitory binding by two divergent ?-catenins coordinates TCF levels and activity in C. elegans. Development. 2011;138:4255-65 pubmed publisher..These studies could provide novel insights into cancers arising from aberrant Wnt activation. ..
- Siegfried K, Kidd A, Chesney M, Kimble J. The sys-1 and sys-3 genes cooperate with Wnt signaling to establish the proximal-distal axis of the Caenorhabditis elegans gonad. Genetics. 2004;166:171-86 pubmed..We suggest that sys-3 is a new key gene in this pathway and that gon-14, gon-15, and gon-16 may cooperate with POP-1 and SYS-1 at multiple stages of gonad development. ..
- Asahina M, Valenta T, Silhankova M, Korinek V, Jindra M. Crosstalk between a nuclear receptor and beta-catenin signaling decides cell fates in the C. elegans somatic gonad. Dev Cell. 2006;11:203-11 pubmed..This balance relies on direct crossregulation between NHR-25 and the distinct beta-catenin proteins WRM-1 and SYS-1. The nuclear receptor-beta-catenin interaction may be an ancient mechanism of cell-fate decision. ..
- Witze E, Field E, Hunt D, Rothman J. C. elegans pur alpha, an activator of end-1, synergizes with the Wnt pathway to specify endoderm. Dev Biol. 2009;327:12-23 pubmed publisher..These findings imply that PLP-1 acts as a transcriptional activator of end-1 expression that may be modulated by MAPK signaling to promote endoderm development. ..
- Gay F, Calvo D, Lo M, Ceron J, Maduro M, Lin R, et al. Acetylation regulates subcellular localization of the Wnt signaling nuclear effector POP-1. Genes Dev. 2003;17:717-22 pubmed..elegans embryogenesis. The conservation of these lysines among other LEF/TCF family members suggests that acetylation may be an important, evolutionarily conserved mechanism regulating subcellular distribution of LEF/TCF factors. ..
- Kostić I, Roy R. Organ-specific cell division abnormalities caused by mutation in a general cell cycle regulator in C. elegans. Development. 2002;129:2155-65 pubmed..In addition, we showed that the cdc-25.1(gf) requires cyclin E. The extra cell division defect was shown to be restricted to the E lineage and the E fate is necessary and sufficient to sensitize cells to this mutation. ..
- Lei H, Liu J, Fukushige T, Fire A, Krause M. Caudal-like PAL-1 directly activates the bodywall muscle module regulator hlh-1 in C. elegans to initiate the embryonic muscle gene regulatory network. Development. 2009;136:1241-9 pubmed publisher..Together, these results provide a molecular framework for the gene regulatory network activating the muscle module during embryogenesis. ..
- Wu M, Herman M. A novel noncanonical Wnt pathway is involved in the regulation of the asymmetric B cell division in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2006;293:316-29 pubmed..We conclude that a noncanonical Wnt pathway, which is different from other Wnt pathways in C. elegans, regulates B cell polarity. ..
- Liu J, Phillips B, Amaya M, Kimble J, Xu W. The C. elegans SYS-1 protein is a bona fide beta-catenin. Dev Cell. 2008;14:751-61 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the SYS-1 protein belongs to the beta-catenin family and suggest that additional divergent beta-catenins await discovery. ..
- Vora S, Phillips B. Centrosome-Associated Degradation Limits Î²-Catenin Inheritance by Daughter Cells after Asymmetric Division. Curr Biol. 2015;25:1005-16 pubmed publisher..Based on our observations of centrosomal SYS-1 dynamics, we discuss the possibility that the centrosome may coordinate various cell-cycle-dependent processes by synchronizing mitosis and protein regulation. ..
- Kalis A, Murphy M, Zarkower D. EGL-5/ABD-B plays an instructive role in male cell fate determination in the C. elegans somatic gonad. Dev Biol. 2010;344:827-35 pubmed publisher..We propose that EGL-5 imparts sex-specific function on POP-1 by recruiting it to male-specific gonadal target genes. ..
- Walston T, Tuskey C, Edgar L, Hawkins N, Ellis G, Bowerman B, et al. Multiple Wnt signaling pathways converge to orient the mitotic spindle in early C. elegans embryos. Dev Cell. 2004;7:831-41 pubmed
- Park F, Priess J. Establishment of POP-1 asymmetry in early C. elegans embryos. Development. 2003;130:3547-56 pubmed..Although cell signaling plays a critical role in POP-1 asymmetry during the first few cell divisions, later embryonic cells have an ability to generate POP-1 asymmetry that appears to be independent of prior Wnt signaling. ..
- Natarajan L, Witwer N, Eisenmann D. The divergent Caenorhabditis elegans beta-catenin proteins BAR-1, WRM-1 and HMP-2 make distinct protein interactions but retain functional redundancy in vivo. Genetics. 2001;159:159-72 pubmed..elegans, these proteins still retain sufficient similarity to display functional redundancy in vivo. ..
- Putzke A, Rothman J. Repression of Wnt signaling by a Fer-type nonreceptor tyrosine kinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:16154-9 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight a role for a Fer-type kinase in setting the proper levels of Wnt signaling and demonstrate the importance of this modulation in ensuring appropriate cell division. ..
- Kidd A, Miskowski J, Siegfried K, Sawa H, Kimble J. A beta-catenin identified by functional rather than sequence criteria and its role in Wnt/MAPK signaling. Cell. 2005;121:761-72 pubmed..We discuss the idea that a similar pathway may be employed broadly in animal development. ..
- Miller R, Portman D. The Wnt/beta-catenin asymmetry pathway patterns the atonal ortholog lin-32 to diversify cell fate in a Caenorhabditis elegans sensory lineage. J Neurosci. 2011;31:13281-91 pubmed publisher..Moreover, they reveal a central role for the Wnt/?-catenin asymmetry pathway in patterning neural and glial fates in a simple sensory lineage. ..
- Bhambhani C, Ravindranath A, Mentink R, Chang M, Betist M, Yang Y, et al. Distinct DNA binding sites contribute to the TCF transcriptional switch in C. elegans and Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004133 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that a fundamental change in TCF-DNA binding contributes to the transcriptional switch that occurs upon Wnt stimulation. ..
- Tilmann C, Kimble J. Cyclin D regulation of a sexually dimorphic asymmetric cell division. Dev Cell. 2005;9:489-99 pubmed..We propose that cyclin D and other canonical regulators of the G1/S transition coordinate key regulators of axis formation and sex determination with cell cycle progression to achieve the sexually dimorphic SGP asymmetric division. ..
- Deshpande R, Inoue T, Priess J, Hill R. lin-17/Frizzled and lin-18 regulate POP-1/TCF-1 localization and cell type specification during C. elegans vulval development. Dev Biol. 2005;278:118-29 pubmed..These experiments suggest that Wnt signaling pathways reorient cell lineages in the posterior half of the vulva from a default orientation displayed in the anterior half of the vulva. ..