Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: par-4
Description: Serine/threonine-protein kinase par-4
Alias: Serine/threonine-protein kinase par-4
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Narbonne P, Maddox P, Labbé J. DAF-18/PTEN signals through AAK-1/AMPK to inhibit MPK-1/MAPK in feedback control of germline stem cell proliferation. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006738 pubmed publisher..As all components are conserved, similar signalling cascades may regulate stem cell activities in other organisms and be widely implicated in cancer. ..
- Apfeld J, O Connor G, McDonagh T, DiStefano P, Curtis R. The AMP-activated protein kinase AAK-2 links energy levels and insulin-like signals to lifespan in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2004;18:3004-9 pubmed..Thus, AAK-2 is a sensor that couples lifespan to information about energy levels and insulin-like signals. ..
- Lee H, Cho J, Lambacher N, Lee J, Lee S, Lee T, et al. The Caenorhabditis elegans AMP-activated protein kinase AAK-2 is phosphorylated by LKB1 and is required for resistance to oxidative stress and for normal motility and foraging behavior. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:14988-93 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that AMPK can influence the behavior of C. elegans worms in addition to its well known function in metabolic control. ..
- Chien S, Brinkmann E, Teulière J, Garriga G. Caenorhabditis elegans PIG-1/MELK acts in a conserved PAR-4/LKB1 polarity pathway to promote asymmetric neuroblast divisions. Genetics. 2013;193:897-909 pubmed publisher..Changes in cell fate may underlie many of the abnormal behaviors exhibited by cells after loss of PAR-4 or LKB1...
- Pacquelet A, Uhart P, Tassan J, Michaux G. PAR-4 and anillin regulate myosin to coordinate spindle and furrow position during asymmetric division. J Cell Biol. 2015;210:1085-99 pubmed publisher..Regulation of asymmetrically localized myosin is thus critical to ensure that furrow and spindle midzone positions coincide throughout cytokinesis. ..
- Wu J, Rose L. PAR-3 and PAR-1 inhibit LET-99 localization to generate a cortical band important for spindle positioning in Caenorhabditis elegans embryos. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:4470-82 pubmed..Finally, examination of par-1 embryos suggests that the banded pattern of LET-99 is critical for normal posterior spindle displacement and to prevent spindle misorientation caused by cell shape constraints. ..
- Kim J, Hung W, Narbonne P, Roy R, Zhen M. C. elegans STRADalpha and SAD cooperatively regulate neuronal polarity and synaptic organization. Development. 2010;137:93-102 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that instead of a single, linear genetic pathway, STRADalpha and LKB1 regulate neuronal development through multiple effectors that are shared in some cellular contexts but distinct in others. ..