Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mei-1
Description: Meiotic spindle formation protein mei-1
Alias: Meiotic spindle formation protein mei-1
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Yang H, McNally K, McNally F. MEI-1/katanin is required for translocation of the meiosis I spindle to the oocyte cortex in C elegans. Dev Biol. 2003;260:245-59 pubmed..These results indicate a direct role of microtubule severing in translocation of the meiotic spindle to the cortex. ..
- Cheng K, Klancer R, Singson A, Seydoux G. Regulation of MBK-2/DYRK by CDK-1 and the pseudophosphatases EGG-4 and EGG-5 during the oocyte-to-embryo transition. Cell. 2009;139:560-72 pubmed publisher..Our findings link cell-cycle progression to MBK-2/DYRK activation and the oocyte-to-embryo transition. ..
- Zehr E, Szyk A, Piszczek G, Szczęsna E, Zuo X, Roll Mecak A. Katanin spiral and ring structures shed light on power stroke for microtubule severing. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2017;24:717-725 pubmed publisher..Cycling of the hexamer between these conformations would provide the power stroke for microtubule severing. ..
- Pellettieri J, Reinke V, Kim S, Seydoux G. Coordinate activation of maternal protein degradation during the egg-to-embryo transition in C. elegans. Dev Cell. 2003;5:451-62 pubmed..We propose that MBK-2 functions as a temporal regulator of protein stability, and that coordinate activation of maternal protein degradation is one of the mechanisms that drives the transition from symmetric egg to patterned embryo. ..
- Wilson K, Qadota H, Mains P, Benian G. UNC-89 (obscurin) binds to MEL-26, a BTB-domain protein, and affects the function of MEI-1 (katanin) in striated muscle of Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:2623-34 pubmed publisher..The level of MEI-1 protein is reduced in an unc-89 mutant, suggesting that the normal role of UNC-89 is to inhibit the CUL-3/MEL-26 complex toward MEI-1. ..
- McNally K, Berg E, Cortes D, Hernández V, Mains P, McNally F. Katanin maintains meiotic metaphase chromosome alignment and spindle structure in vivo and has multiple effects on microtubules in vitro. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:1037-49 pubmed publisher..These activities could promote parallel/antiparallel microtubule organization in meiotic spindles. ..
- Connolly A, Osterberg V, Christensen S, Price M, Lu C, Chicas Cruz K, et al. Caenorhabditis elegans oocyte meiotic spindle pole assembly requires microtubule severing and the calponin homology domain protein ASPM-1. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:1298-311 pubmed publisher..We conclude that microtubule severing and ASPM-1 both promote meiotic spindle pole assembly in C. elegans oocytes, whereas the kinesin 12 family member KLP-18 promotes spindle bipolarity. ..