Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ire-1
Description: IRE1 kinase related;Serine/threonine-protein kinase
Alias: IRE1 kinase related;Serine/threonine-protein kinase
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Eisermann D, Wenzel U, Fitzenberger E. PEK-1 is crucial for hormesis induced by inhibition of the IRE-1/XBP-1 pathway in the Caenorhabditis elegans mev-1 mutant. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;473:1052-1057 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we identified PEK-1 as a mediator of hormesis in the mev-1 mutant of C. elegans which is induced by simultaneous inhibition of XBP-1 and its splicing activator IRE-1 and mediated through activation of the proteasome. ..
- Mao X, Crowder C. Protein misfolding induces hypoxic preconditioning via a subset of the unfolded protein response machinery. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:5033-42 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a model where hypoxia-induced misfolded proteins trigger the activation of IRE-1, which along with GCN-2 controls an adaptive response that is essential to HP. ..
- Bischof L, Kao C, Los F, Gonzalez M, Shen Z, Briggs S, et al. Activation of the unfolded protein response is required for defenses against bacterial pore-forming toxin in vivo. PLoS Pathog. 2008;4:e1000176 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that the UPR, a fundamental intracellular pathway, can operate in intrinsic cellular defenses against bacterial attack. ..
- Eletto D, Eletto D, Dersh D, Gidalevitz T, Argon Y. Protein disulfide isomerase A6 controls the decay of IRE1? signaling via disulfide-dependent association. Mol Cell. 2014;53:562-576 pubmed publisher..Thus, PDIA6 activity provides a mechanism that limits UPR signaling and maintains it within a physiologically appropriate range...
- Jo H, Shim J, Lee J, Lee J, Kim J. IRE-1 and HSP-4 contribute to energy homeostasis via fasting-induced lipases in C. elegans. Cell Metab. 2009;9:440-8 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the ER-resident proteins IRE-1 and HSP-4 are key nutritional sensors that modulate expression of inducible lipases to maintain whole-body energy homeostasis in C. elegans. ..
- Levi Ferber M, Gian H, Dudkevich R, Henis Korenblit S. Transdifferentiation mediated tumor suppression by the endoplasmic reticulum stress sensor IRE-1 in C. elegans. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that tumor cell transdifferentiation has the potential to combat cancer and overcome the escape of tumor cells from the cell death machinery. ..
- Levi Ferber M, Salzberg Y, Safra M, Haviv Chesner A, BÃ¼low H, Henis Korenblit S. It's all in your mind: determining germ cell fate by neuronal IRE-1 in C. elegans. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004747 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our findings uncover ire-1 as a novel cell non-autonomous regulator of germ cell apoptosis, linking ER homeostasis in sensory neurons and germ cell fate. ..
- Schipanski A, Lange S, Segref A, Gutschmidt A, Lomas D, Miranda E, et al. A novel interaction between aging and ER overload in a protein conformational dementia. Genetics. 2013;193:865-76 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that targets aimed at increasing UPR capacity in neurons are valuable tools for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Henis Korenblit S, Zhang P, Hansen M, McCormick M, Lee S, Cary M, et al. Insulin/IGF-1 signaling mutants reprogram ER stress response regulators to promote longevity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:9730-5 pubmed publisher..Instead, in insulin/IGF-1 pathway mutants, XBP-1 collaborates with DAF-16, a FOXO-transcription factor that is activated in these mutants, to enhance ER stress resistance and to activate new genes that promote longevity. ..
- Anderson L, Mao X, Scott B, Crowder C. Survival from hypoxia in C. elegans by inactivation of aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases. Science. 2009;323:630-3 pubmed publisher..Thus, translational suppression produces hypoxia resistance, in part by reducing unfolded protein toxicity. ..
- Lee D, Singaravelu G, Park B, Ahnn J. Differential requirement of unfolded protein response pathway for calreticulin expression in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Mol Biol. 2007;372:331-40 pubmed
- Safra M, Fickentscher R, Levi Ferber M, Danino Y, Haviv Chesner A, Hansen M, et al. The FOXO transcription factor DAF-16 bypasses ire-1 requirement to promote endoplasmic reticulum homeostasis. Cell Metab. 2014;20:870-81 pubmed..Because there is no sensor in the ER that activates DAF-16 in response to intrinsic ER stress, natural or artificial interventions that activate DAF-16 may be useful therapeutic approaches to maintain ER homeostasis. ..
- Mathew R, Pal Bhadra M, Bhadra U. Insulin/insulin-like growth factor-1 signalling (IIS) based regulation of lifespan across species. Biogerontology. 2017;18:35-53 pubmed publisher..Enhanced study of the role of IIS pathway and epigenetic mechanisms that regulate aging may facilitate progressive prevention and treatment of human age-related diseases. ..