Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hif-1
Description: HIF (Hypoxia Inducible Factor) homologa;Hypoxia-inducible factor 1
Alias: HIF (Hypoxia Inducible Factor) homologa;Hypoxia-inducible factor 1
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Mehta R, Steinkraus K, Sutphin G, Ramos F, Shamieh L, Huh A, et al. Proteasomal regulation of the hypoxic response modulates aging in C. elegans. Science. 2009;324:1196-8 pubmed publisher..VHL-1 and HIF-1 control longevity by a mechanism distinct from both dietary restriction and insulin-like signaling. These findings define VHL-1 and the hypoxic response as an alternative longevity and protein homeostasis pathway. ..
- Zhang Y, Shao Z, Zhai Z, Shen C, Powell Coffman J. The HIF-1 hypoxia-inducible factor modulates lifespan in C. elegans. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6348 pubmed publisher..These data establish HIF-1 as one of the key stress-responsive transcription factors that modulate longevity in C. elegans and advance our understanding of the regulatory networks that link oxygen homeostasis and aging. ..
- Treinin M, Shliar J, Jiang H, Powell Coffman J, Bromberg Z, Horowitz M. HIF-1 is required for heat acclimation in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Physiol Genomics. 2003;14:17-24 pubmed..The known targets of HIF-1 imply that metabolic adaptations are essential for AC-dependent tolerance to heat and heavy metals, in addition to their known role in hypoxic adaptation. ..
- Leiser S, Begun A, Kaeberlein M. HIF-1 modulates longevity and healthspan in a temperature-dependent manner. Aging Cell. 2011;10:318-26 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of hif-1 results in nuclear relocalization of the FOXO transcription factor DAF-16, and DAF-16 is required for life span extension from deletion of hif-1 at all temperatures regardless of censoring. ..
- Shen C, Shao Z, Powell Coffman J. The Caenorhabditis elegans rhy-1 gene inhibits HIF-1 hypoxia-inducible factor activity in a negative feedback loop that does not include vhl-1. Genetics. 2006;174:1205-14 pubmed..Collectively, these data support models in which RHY-1 and EGL-9 function in VHL-1-independent pathway(s) to repress HIF-1 transcriptional activity. ..
- Jiang H, Guo R, Powell Coffman J. The Caenorhabditis elegans hif-1 gene encodes a bHLH-PAS protein that is required for adaptation to hypoxia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:7916-21 pubmed..Additionally, we find that nuclear localization of AHA-1 is disrupted in an hif-1 mutant. This finding suggests that heterodimerization may be a prerequisite for efficient nuclear translocation of AHA-1. ..
- Budde M, Roth M. Hydrogen sulfide increases hypoxia-inducible factor-1 activity independently of von Hippel-Lindau tumor suppressor-1 in C. elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:212-7 pubmed publisher..Because H(2)S is naturally produced by animal cells, our results suggest that endogenous H(2)S may influence HIF-1 activity. ..
- Grove C, De Masi F, Barrasa M, Newburger D, Alkema M, Bulyk M, et al. A multiparameter network reveals extensive divergence between C. elegans bHLH transcription factors. Cell. 2009;138:314-27 pubmed publisher..For a video summary of this article, see the PaperFlick file available with the online Supplemental Data. ..
- Livshits L, Chatterjee A, Karbian N, Abergel R, Abergel Z, Gross E. Mechanisms of defense against products of cysteine catabolism in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Free Radic Biol Med. 2017;104:346-359 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that sulfide resistance varies among wild C. elegans and other nematode species, suggesting that tolerance to sulfide was naturally selected in certain habitats. ..
- Kamal M, D Amora D, Kubiseski T. Loss of hif-1 promotes resistance to the exogenous mitochondrial stressor ethidium bromide in Caenorhabditis elegans. BMC Cell Biol. 2016;17 Suppl 1:34 pubmed publisher..We propose that EtBr-induced HIF-1 activates pathways that are antagonistic in conferring protection against EtBr toxicity and that blocking HIF-1 activity may promote survival in cells with compromised mitochondrial function. ..
- Gharbi H, Fabretti F, Bharill P, Rinschen M, Brinkkötter S, Frommolt P, et al. Loss of the Birt-Hogg-Dubé gene product folliculin induces longevity in a hypoxia-inducible factor-dependent manner. Aging Cell. 2013;12:593-603 pubmed publisher..These findings define FLCN as a player in HIF-dependent longevity signaling and connect organismal aging, stress resistance, and regulation of longevity with the formation of renal cell carcinoma. ..
- Leiser S, Fletcher M, Begun A, Kaeberlein M. Life-span extension from hypoxia in Caenorhabditis elegans requires both HIF-1 and DAF-16 and is antagonized by SKN-1. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013;68:1135-44 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results show that hypoxia modulates longevity in a complex manner, likely involving components in addition to HIF-1. ..
- Miller D, Roth M. C. elegans are protected from lethal hypoxia by an embryonic diapause. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1233-7 pubmed publisher..This response is likely to be an important strategy to improve offspring survival in harsh conditions and allow adults to find environments more suitable for reproductive success. ..
- Leiser S, Miller H, Rossner R, Fletcher M, Leonard A, Primitivo M, et al. Cell nonautonomous activation of flavin-containing monooxygenase promotes longevity and health span. Science. 2015;350:1375-1378 pubmed publisher..FMOs are conserved in eukaryotes and induced by multiple life span-extending interventions in mice, which suggests that these enzymes may play a critical role in promoting health and longevity across phyla. ..
- Alam T, Maruyama H, Li C, Pastuhov S, Nix P, Bastiani M, et al. Axotomy-induced HIF-serotonin signalling axis promotes axon regeneration in C. elegans. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10388 pubmed publisher..SER-7 also promotes axon regeneration by activating the cyclic AMP (cAMP) signalling pathway. Thus, HIF-1-mediated activation of 5-HT signalling promotes axon regeneration by activating both the RhoA and cAMP pathways. ..
- Ma D, Vozdek R, Bhatla N, Horvitz H. CYSL-1 interacts with the O2-sensing hydroxylase EGL-9 to promote H2S-modulated hypoxia-induced behavioral plasticity in C. elegans. Neuron. 2012;73:925-40 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that CYSL-1 acts to transduce signals from H(2)S to EGL-9 to regulate O(2)-dependent behavioral plasticity in C. elegans. ..
- Hwang A, Ryu E, Artan M, Chang H, Kabir M, Nam H, et al. Feedback regulation via AMPK and HIF-1 mediates ROS-dependent longevity in Caenorhabditis elegans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E4458-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, AMPK and HIF-1 may control immunity and longevity tightly by acting as feedback regulators of ROS. ..
- Luhachack L, Visvikis O, Wollenberg A, Lacy Hulbert A, Stuart L, Irazoqui J. EGL-9 controls C. elegans host defense specificity through prolyl hydroxylation-dependent and -independent HIF-1 pathways. PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1002798 pubmed publisher..Together, our observations show that HIF can set the balance between alternative pathogen-specific host responses, potentially acting as an evolutionarily conserved specificity switch in the host innate immune response. ..
- Budde M, Roth M. The response of Caenorhabditis elegans to hydrogen sulfide and hydrogen cyanide. Genetics. 2011;189:521-32 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest the hypoxia-independent hif-1 response in C. elegans evolved to respond to the naturally occurring small molecules H2S and HCN...
- Katschinski D, Glueck S. Hot worms can handle heavy metal. Focus on "HIF-1 is required for heat acclimation in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans". Physiol Genomics. 2003;14:1-2 pubmed