Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hda-1
Description: Histone deacetylase 1
Alias: Histone deacetylase 1
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Ranawade A, Cumbo P, Gupta B. Caenorhabditis elegans histone deacetylase hda-1 is required for morphogenesis of the vulva and LIN-12/Notch-mediated specification of uterine cell fates. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:1363-74 pubmed publisher..Given that hda-1 homologs are conserved across the phyla, our findings are likely to provide a better understanding of HDAC1 function in development and disease. ..
- Shi Y, Mello C. A CBP/p300 homolog specifies multiple differentiation pathways in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genes Dev. 1998;12:943-55 pubmed..Our findings suggest a model in which CBP-1 may activate transcription and differentiation in C. elegans by directly or indirectly antagonizing a repressive effect of histone deacetylase. ..
- Schaner C, Deshpande G, Schedl P, Kelly W. A conserved chromatin architecture marks and maintains the restricted germ cell lineage in worms and flies. Dev Cell. 2003;5:747-57 pubmed..These results indicate that genome-wide repression via a nanos-regulated, germ cell-specific chromatin organization is a conserved feature of germline maintenance during embryogenesis. ..
- Grote P, Conradt B. The PLZF-like protein TRA-4 cooperates with the Gli-like transcription factor TRA-1 to promote female development in C. elegans. Dev Cell. 2006;11:561-73 pubmed..Similar interactions may function in sex determination and developmental regulation in other species. ..
- Choy S, Wong Y, Ho S, Chow K. C. elegans SIN-3 and its associated HDAC corepressor complex act as mediators of male sensory ray development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;358:802-7 pubmed..Conserved physical interactions between these components were also observed, implicating the recruitment of HDAC complex by MAB-21/SIN-3 may occur to determine ray identity in males. ..
- Hattori A, Mizuno T, Akamatsu M, Hisamoto N, Matsumoto K. The Caenorhabditis elegans JNK signaling pathway activates expression of stress response genes by derepressing the Fos/HDAC repressor complex. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003315 pubmed publisher..This study describes the direct link from JNK signaling, Fos phosphorylation, and regulation of kreg gene transcription, which modulates the stress response in C. elegans...
- Pothof J, van Haaften G, Thijssen K, Kamath R, Fraser A, Ahringer J, et al. Identification of genes that protect the C. elegans genome against mutations by genome-wide RNAi. Genes Dev. 2003;17:443-8 pubmed..Because known mutator genes are causally involved in many hereditary and sporadic human cancers, it is likely that some of these new mutators are equally relevant in cancer etiology. ..
- Matus D, Lohmer L, Kelley L, Schindler A, Kohrman A, Barkoulas M, et al. Invasive Cell Fate Requires G1 Cell-Cycle Arrest and Histone Deacetylase-Mediated Changes in Gene Expression. Dev Cell. 2015;35:162-74 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that invasive cell fate requires G1 arrest and that strategies targeting both G1-arrested and actively cycling cells may be needed to halt metastatic cancer. ..
- Fay D, Large E, Han M, Darland M. lin-35/Rb and ubc-18, an E2 ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme, function redundantly to control pharyngeal morphogenesis in C. elegans. Development. 2003;130:3319-30 pubmed..lin-35 and ubc-18 may act in concert to regulate the levels of one or more critical targets during C. elegans development...
- Lee J, Lee J. Hypoxia-inducible Factor-1 (HIF-1)-independent hypoxia response of the small heat shock protein hsp-16.1 gene regulated by chromatin-remodeling factors in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:1582-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, we found that calcineurin acts independently of hif-1 to modulate the cellular response to hypoxia and that calcium ions are necessary for the induction of hsp-16.1 under hypoxic conditions...