Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: glp 1
Description: Protein glp-1
Alias: Protein glp-1
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Kodoyianni V, Maine E, Kimble J. Molecular basis of loss-of-function mutations in the glp-1 gene of Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 1992;3:1199-213 pubmed..These two clusters of mutations may identify functional domains within the glp-1 protein. ..
- McGovern M, Voutev R, Maciejowski J, Corsi A, Hubbard E. A "latent niche" mechanism for tumor initiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:11617-22 pubmed publisher..We propose that a latent niche mechanism may underlie tumorigenesis and metastasis in humans. ..
- Hale V, Guiney E, Goldberg L, Haduong J, Kwartler C, Scangos K, et al. Notch signaling is antagonized by SAO-1, a novel GYF-domain protein that interacts with the E3 ubiquitin ligase SEL-10 in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2012;190:1043-57 pubmed publisher..This work provides the first mutant analysis of a GYF-domain protein in either C. elegans or Drosophila and introduces a new type of Fbw7-interacting protein that acts in a subset of Fbw7 functions. ..
- Singh K, Chao M, Somers G, Komatsu H, Corkins M, Larkins Ford J, et al. C. elegans Notch signaling regulates adult chemosensory response and larval molting quiescence. Curr Biol. 2011;21:825-34 pubmed publisher..elegans in response to environmental stress. Additionally, Notch signaling regulates sleep-like quiescence in C. elegans, suggesting that Notch may regulate sleep in other species. ..
- Kuroyanagi H, Kimura T, Wada K, Hisamoto N, Matsumoto K, Hagiwara M. SPK-1, a C. elegans SR protein kinase homologue, is essential for embryogenesis and required for germline development. Mech Dev. 2000;99:51-64 pubmed..elegans. We provide evidence that RNAi, achieved by the soaking of L1 larvae, is beneficial in the study of gene function in post-embryonic germline development. ..
- Wang M, O Rourke E, Ruvkun G. Fat metabolism links germline stem cells and longevity in C. elegans. Science. 2008;322:957-60 pubmed publisher..This lipase is a key factor in the lipid hydrolysis and increased longevity that are induced by decreased insulin signaling. These results suggest a link between C. elegans fat metabolism and longevity. ..
- Nadarajan S, Govindan J, McGovern M, Hubbard E, Greenstein D. MSP and GLP-1/Notch signaling coordinately regulate actomyosin-dependent cytoplasmic streaming and oocyte growth in C. elegans. Development. 2009;136:2223-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, two major germline signaling centers, distal GLP-1 activation and proximal MSP signaling, coordinate several spatially and temporally distinct processes by which germline stem cells differentiate into functional oocytes. ..
- TeKippe M, Aballay A. C. elegans germline-deficient mutants respond to pathogen infection using shared and distinct mechanisms. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11777 pubmed publisher..Our studies indicate that germline-deficient mutants glp-1 and glp-4 respond to pathogen infection using common and different mechanisms that involve the activation of DAF-16. ..
- Lee C, Sorensen E, Lynch T, Kimble J. C. elegans GLP-1/Notch activates transcription in a probability gradient across the germline stem cell pool. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our findings offer a new window into the Notch transcriptional response and demonstrate the importance of assaying nascent transcripts at active transcription sites as a readout for canonical signaling. ..
- Lambie E, Kimble J. Two homologous regulatory genes, lin-12 and glp-1, have overlapping functions. Development. 1991;112:231-40 pubmed..We speculate that the lin-12 and glp-1 proteins are biochemically interchangeable and that their divergent roles in development may rely largely on differences in gene expression. ..
- Farley B, Ryder S. POS-1 and GLD-1 repress glp-1 translation through a conserved binding-site cluster. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:4473-83 pubmed publisher..We propose that POS-1 regulates glp-1 mRNA translation by blocking access of other RBPs to a key regulatory sequence. ..
- Ouellet J, Li S, Roy R. Notch signalling is required for both dauer maintenance and recovery in C. elegans. Development. 2008;135:2583-92 pubmed publisher..Then, as growth conditions improve, activation of the LIN-12 Notch receptor cooperates with the insulin-like signalling pathway to signal recovery from the dauer stage. ..
- Das P, Bagijn M, Goldstein L, Woolford J, Lehrbach N, Sapetschnig A, et al. Piwi and piRNAs act upstream of an endogenous siRNA pathway to suppress Tc3 transposon mobility in the Caenorhabditis elegans germline. Mol Cell. 2008;31:79-90 pubmed publisher..elegans. Instead, we demonstrate that Piwi acts upstream of an endogenous siRNA pathway in Tc3 silencing. These data might suggest a link between piRNA and siRNA function. ..
- Pepper A, Killian D, Hubbard E. Genetic analysis of Caenorhabditis elegans glp-1 mutants suggests receptor interaction or competition. Genetics. 2003;163:115-32 pubmed..Double-mutant analysis with suppressors and enhancers of lin-12 and glp-1 further suggests that the functional defect in glp-1(Pro) mutants occurs prior to or at the level of ligand interaction. ..
- Boyd W, Crocker T, Rodriguez A, Leung M, Lehmann D, Freedman J, et al. Nucleotide excision repair genes are expressed at low levels and are not detectably inducible in Caenorhabditis elegans somatic tissues, but their function is required for normal adult life after UVC exposure. Mutat Res. 2010;683:57-67 pubmed publisher..Finally, we describe a refinement of our DNA damage assay that allows damage measurement in single nematodes. ..
- Good K, Ciosk R, Nance J, Neves A, Hill R, Priess J. The T-box transcription factors TBX-37 and TBX-38 link GLP-1/Notch signaling to mesoderm induction in C. elegans embryos. Development. 2004;131:1967-78 pubmed..We conclude that TBX-37, TBX-38 play a key role in distinguishing the outcomes of two sequential Notch-mediated interactions. ..
- Regos A, Lengyel K, Takacs Vellai K, Vellai T. Identification of novel cis-regulatory regions from the Notch receptor genes lin-12 and glp-1 of Caenorhabditis elegans. Gene Expr Patterns. 2013;13:66-77 pubmed publisher..The latter regulatory element is highly conserved in the paralogous glp-1 genomic environment, suggesting redundant developmental and physiological roles for the two Notch paralogs in the C. elegans nervous system. ..
- Robertson S, Medina J, Oldenbroek M, Lin R. Reciprocal signaling by Wnt and Notch specifies a muscle precursor in the C. elegans embryo. Development. 2017;144:419-429 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the complexity of cell fate specification by cell-cell interactions in a rapidly dividing embryo. ..
- Vought V, Ohmachi M, Lee M, Maine E. EGO-1, a putative RNA-directed RNA polymerase, promotes germline proliferation in parallel with GLP-1/notch signaling and regulates the spatial organization of nuclear pore complexes and germline P granules in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2005;170:1121-32 pubmed..Finally, the size and distribution of nuclear pore complexes and perinuclear P granules are altered in the absence of EGO-1, effects that disrupt germ cell biology per se and probably limit germline growth. ..
- Ciosk R, DePalma M, Priess J. ATX-2, the C. elegans ortholog of ataxin 2, functions in translational regulation in the germline. Development. 2004;131:4831-41 pubmed..Together, our results suggest that ATX-2 functions in translational regulation that is mediated by GLD-1 and MEX-3 proteins. ..
- Henderson S, Gao D, Christensen S, Kimble J. Functional domains of LAG-2, a putative signaling ligand for LIN-12 and GLP-1 receptors in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:1751-62 pubmed..The intracellular region is not required for activity but instead plays a role in down-regulating LAG-2 function. Finally, membrane association is critical for mutant rescue. ..
- Lin R, Thompson S, Priess J. pop-1 encodes an HMG box protein required for the specification of a mesoderm precursor in early C. elegans embryos. Cell. 1995;83:599-609 pubmed..We propose that POP-1 and SKN-1 function together in the early embryo to allow MS-specific differentiation. ..
- Macdonald L, Knox A, Hansen D. Proteasomal regulation of the proliferation vs. meiotic entry decision in the Caenorhabditis elegans germ line. Genetics. 2008;180:905-20 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which the proteasome degrades proteins that are necessary for proliferation as cells switch from proliferation to meiotic entry. ..
- Deng X, Michaelson D, Tchieu J, Cheng J, Rothenstein D, Feldman R, et al. Targeting Homologous Recombination in Notch-Driven C. elegans Stem Cell and Human Tumors. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0127862 pubmed publisher..Homology-driven repair inactivation is dramatically radiosensitizing. We show that these concepts translate directly to human cancer models. ..
- Petcherski A, Kimble J. LAG-3 is a putative transcriptional activator in the C. elegans Notch pathway. Nature. 2000;405:364-8 pubmed..elegans. We propose that GLP-1 and LIN-12 promote signalling by recruiting LAG-3 to target promoters, where it functions as a transcriptional activator. ..
- Narbonne P, Maddox P, LabbÃ© J. DAF-18/PTEN locally antagonizes insulin signalling to couple germline stem cell proliferation to oocyte needs in C. elegans. Development. 2015;142:4230-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, during adulthood, stem cells can differentially respond within tissues to otherwise equal insulin/IGF-1 signalling inputs, according to the needs for production of their immediate terminally differentiated progeny. ..
- Li J, Ebata A, Dong Y, Rizki G, Iwata T, Lee S. Caenorhabditis elegans HCF-1 functions in longevity maintenance as a DAF-16 regulator. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e233 pubmed publisher..As HCF-1 is highly conserved, our findings have important implications for aging and FOXO regulation in mammals. ..