Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fbf-1
Description: Fem-3 mRNA-binding factor 1
Alias: Fem-3 mRNA-binding factor 1
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Opperman L, Hook B, DeFino M, Bernstein D, Wickens M. A single spacer nucleotide determines the specificities of two mRNA regulatory proteins. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2005;12:945-51 pubmed..We suggest that new specificities can be designed and selected using the PUF scaffold. ..
- Walser C, Battu G, Hoier E, Hajnal A. Distinct roles of the Pumilio and FBF translational repressors during C. elegans vulval development. Development. 2006;133:3461-71 pubmed..Thus, translational repressors regulate various aspects of vulval cell fate specification, and they may play a conserved role in modulating signal transduction during animal development. ..
- Kim K, Nykamp K, Suh N, Bachorik J, Wang L, Kimble J. Antagonism between GLD-2 binding partners controls gamete sex. Dev Cell. 2009;16:723-33 pubmed publisher..Indeed, RNP-8 and GLD-3 antagonize each other, as evidenced by genetic cosuppression and molecular competition for GLD-2 binding. We conclude that GLD-2 and its binding partners control gamete identity. ..
- Merritt C, Seydoux G. The Puf RNA-binding proteins FBF-1 and FBF-2 inhibit the expression of synaptonemal complex proteins in germline stem cells. Development. 2010;137:1787-98 pubmed publisher..We propose that parallel regulation by FBF ensures that in wild-type gonads, meiotic entry is coordinated with just-in-time synthesis of synaptonemal proteins...
- Arur S, Ohmachi M, Berkseth M, Nayak S, Hansen D, Zarkower D, et al. MPK-1 ERK controls membrane organization in C. elegans oogenesis via a sex-determination module. Dev Cell. 2011;20:677-88 pubmed publisher..In the proximal germline, sperm-dependent physiological MPK-1 activation results in phosphorylation-based inactivation of NOS-3, FEM-CUL-2-mediated degradation of TRA-1 and the promotion of membrane organization during oogenesis. ..
- Rybarska A, Harterink M, Jedamzik B, Kupinski A, Schmid M, Eckmann C. GLS-1, a novel P granule component, modulates a network of conserved RNA regulators to influence germ cell fate decisions. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000494 pubmed publisher..Hence, the elucidation of the mechanisms underlying GLS-1 functions provides a new example of how conserved machinery can be developmentally manipulated to influence cell fate decisions and tissue development. ..
- Juang B, Gu C, Starnes L, Palladino F, Goga A, Kennedy S, et al. Endogenous nuclear RNAi mediates behavioral adaptation to odor. Cell. 2013;154:1010-1022 pubmed publisher..This class of siRNA may act broadly as a rheostat allowing prolonged stimulation to dampen gene expression and promote cellular memory formation. PAPERFLICK: ..
- Menichelli E, Wu J, Campbell Z, Wickens M, Williamson J. Biochemical characterization of the Caenorhabditis elegans FBF.CPB-1 translational regulation complex identifies conserved protein interaction hotspots. J Mol Biol. 2013;425:725-37 pubmed publisher..RNA binding measurements demonstrated that CPB-1 alters the affinity of FBF for specific RNA sequences, implying a functional model where the coregulatory protein CPB-1 modulates FBF target selection. ..
- Jeong J, Verheyden J, Kimble J. Cyclin E and Cdk2 control GLD-1, the mitosis/meiosis decision, and germline stem cells in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001348 pubmed publisher..Therefore, CYE-1/CDK-2 emerges as a critical regulator of stem cell maintenance. We suggest that cyclin E and Cdk-2 may be used broadly to control developmental regulators. ..
- Luitjens C, Gallegos M, Kraemer B, Kimble J, Wickens M. CPEB proteins control two key steps in spermatogenesis in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2000;14:2596-609 pubmed..In sum, our results demonstrate that, in C. elegans, two CPEB proteins have distinct functions in the germ line, both in spermatogenesis: FOG-1 specifies the sperm cell fate and CPB-1 executes that decision. ..
- Wu J, Campbell Z, Menichelli E, Wickens M, Williamson J. A protein.protein interaction platform involved in recruitment of GLD-3 to the FBF.fem-3 mRNA complex. J Mol Biol. 2013;425:738-54 pubmed publisher..These data raise the possibility of alternative models involving the formation of a GLD-3?FBF?RNA complex in the regulation of germline mRNAs. ..
- Labbé J, Pacquelet A, Marty T, Gotta M. A genomewide screen for suppressors of par-2 uncovers potential regulators of PAR protein-dependent cell polarity in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2006;174:285-95 pubmed..Taken together, our results identify conserved components that regulate PAR protein function and also suggest a role for NOS-3 in PAR protein-dependent cell polarity. ..
- Wei Q, Xu Q, Zhang Y, Li Y, Zhang Q, Hu Z, et al. Transition fibre protein FBF1 is required for the ciliary entry of assembled intraflagellar transport complexes. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2750 pubmed publisher..We conclude that FBF1 is a key functional transition fibre component that actively facilitates the ciliary entry of assembled IFT machinery...