Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: eff-1
Description: Epithelial Fusion Failure
Alias: Epithelial Fusion Failure
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Zeev Ben Mordehai T, Vasishtan D, Siebert C, GrÃ¼newald K. The full-length cell-cell fusogen EFF-1 is monomeric and upright on the membrane. Nat Commun. 2014;5:3912 pubmed publisher..we present the electron cryo microscopy three-dimensional reconstruction of the Caenorhabditis elegans epithelial fusion failure 1 (EFF-1) protein natively anchored in cell-derived membrane vesicles...
- Smurova K, Podbilewicz B. RAB-5- and DYNAMIN-1-Mediated Endocytosis of EFF-1 Fusogen Controls Cell-Cell Fusion. Cell Rep. 2016;14:1517-1527 pubmed publisher..Downregulation of dynamin or RAB-5 caused EFF-1 mislocalization to all apical membrane domains and excessive fusion. Thus, internalization of EFF-1 is a safety mechanism preventing excessive cell fusion. ..
- Oren Suissa M, Gattegno T, Kravtsov V, Podbilewicz B. Extrinsic Repair of Injured Dendrites as a Paradigm for Regeneration by Fusion in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2017;206:215-230 pubmed publisher..EFF-1 is essential for dendritic pruning after injury and extrinsic AFF-1 mediates dendrite fusion to bypass injuries. ..
- Fernandes J, Sternberg P. The tailless ortholog nhr-67 regulates patterning of gene expression and morphogenesis in the C. elegans vulva. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e69 pubmed..We postulate that the differential levels and combinatorial patterns of lin-11, cog-1, and nhr-67 expression are a part of a regulatory code for the mature vulval cell types...
- del Campo J, Opoku Serebuoh E, Isaacson A, Scranton V, Tucker M, Han M, et al. Fusogenic activity of EFF-1 is regulated via dynamic localization in fusing somatic cells of C. elegans. Curr Biol. 2005;15:413-23 pubmed..Because EFF-1 appears evolutionarily unique to nematodes, multiple mechanisms may have evolved for controlled plasma-membrane fusion in development. ..
- Mason D, Rabinowitz J, Portman D. dmd-3, a doublesex-related gene regulated by tra-1, governs sex-specific morphogenesis in C. elegans. Development. 2008;135:2373-82 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that an important conserved function of DM genes is to link the general sex determination hierarchy to specific effectors of differentiation and morphogenesis. ..
- Neumann B, Coakley S, Giordano Santini R, Linton C, Lee E, Nakagawa A, et al. EFF-1-mediated regenerative axonal fusion requires components of the apoptotic pathway. Nature. 2015;517:219-22 pubmed publisher..We propose that PS functions as a 'save-me' signal for the distal fragment, allowing conserved apoptotic cell clearance molecules to function in re-establishing axonal integrity during regeneration of the nervous system. ..
- Smurova K, Podbilewicz B. Endocytosis regulates membrane localization and function of the fusogen EFF-1. Small Gtpases. 2017;8:177-180 pubmed publisher..EFF-1 (Epithelial Fusion Failure 1), a member of the FF family, is a type I membrane glycoprotein that is essential for most cell fusions ..