Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: daf 4
Description: Cell surface receptor daf-4;Receptor protein serine/threonine kinase;Serine/threonine-protein kinase receptor
Alias: Cell surface receptor daf-4;Receptor protein serine/threonine kinase;Serine/threonine-protein kinase receptor
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Ramakrishnan K, Ray P, Okkema P. CEH-28 activates dbl-1 expression and TGF-? signaling in the C. elegans M4 neuron. Dev Biol. 2014;390:149-59 pubmed publisher..Together these results identify a novel neuroendocrine function for M4 and provide evidence for an R-Smad-independent mechanism for DBL-1 signaling in C. elegans...
- Thatcher J, Haun C, Okkema P. The DAF-3 Smad binds DNA and represses gene expression in the Caenorhabditis elegans pharynx. Development. 1999;126:97-107 pubmed..We have examined expression of this gfp reporter in dauer larvae and have observed no daf-3-dependent repression of C activity. These results suggest daf-3 directly regulates pharyngeal gene expression during non-dauer development. ..
- Estevez M, Attisano L, Wrana J, Albert P, Massague J, Riddle D. The daf-4 gene encodes a bone morphogenetic protein receptor controlling C. elegans dauer larva development. Nature. 1993;365:644-9 pubmed..When expressed in monkey COS cells, the daf-4 receptor binds human BMP-2 and BMP-4. The daf-4 receptor is the first to be identified for any growth factor in the BMP family. ..
- Malone E, Thomas J. A screen for nonconditional dauer-constitutive mutations in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 1994;136:879-86 pubmed..This finding strengthens the hypothesis that a branched genetic pathway controls dauer formation. ..
- Savage Dunn C, Maduzia L, Zimmerman C, Roberts A, Cohen S, Tokarz R, et al. Genetic screen for small body size mutants in C. elegans reveals many TGFbeta pathway components. Genesis. 2003;35:239-47 pubmed..Because of the conservation of TGFbeta signaling pathways, homologs of these genes may be involved in tissue specificity and/or crosstalk of TGFbeta pathways in other animals. ..
- Shaw W, Luo S, Landis J, Ashraf J, Murphy C. The C. elegans TGF-beta Dauer pathway regulates longevity via insulin signaling. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1635-45 pubmed..Together, our results suggest there are TGF-beta-specific downstream targets and functions, but that the TGF-beta and IIS pathways might be more tightly linked in the regulation of longevity than has been previously appreciated. ..
- Inoue T, Thomas J. Targets of TGF-beta signaling in Caenorhabditis elegans dauer formation. Dev Biol. 2000;217:192-204 pubmed..Instead, these experiments suggest the nervous system as a target of DAF-7 signaling and that the nervous system in turn regulates dauer formation by other tissues. ..
- Gunther C, Georgi L, Riddle D. A Caenorhabditis elegans type I TGF beta receptor can function in the absence of type II kinase to promote larval development. Development. 2000;127:3337-47 pubmed..Signaling from a strong DAF-1/DAF-4 receptor complex or a weaker DAF-1 receptor alone may provide larvae with more precise control of the dauer/nondauer decision in a range of environmental conditions. ..
- Inoue T, Ailion M, Poon S, Kim H, Thomas J, Sternberg P. Genetic analysis of dauer formation in Caenorhabditis briggsae. Genetics. 2007;177:809-18 pubmed..elegans. In contrast, C. briggsae, which is capable of growth at higher temperatures than C. elegans, lacks this response. ..