Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ced-1
Description: Cell death abnormality protein 1
Alias: Cell death abnormality protein 1
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Zhou Z, Hartwieg E, Horvitz H. CED-1 is a transmembrane receptor that mediates cell corpse engulfment in C. elegans. Cell. 2001;104:43-56 pubmed..We suggest that the ABC transporter CED-7 promotes cell corpse recognition by CED-1, possibly by exposing a phospholipid ligand on the surfaces of cell corpses...
- Haskins K, Russell J, Gaddis N, Dressman H, Aballay A. Unfolded protein response genes regulated by CED-1 are required for Caenorhabditis elegans innate immunity. Dev Cell. 2008;15:87-97 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that unfolded protein response genes, regulated in a CED-1-dependent manner, are involved in the C. elegans immune response to live bacteria. ..
- Hedgecock E, Sulston J, Thomson J. Mutations affecting programmed cell deaths in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Science. 1983;220:1277-9 pubmed..With few exceptions, these cells still die, suggesting that, in nematodes, engulfment is not necessary for most programmed deaths. Instead, these deaths appear to occur by cell suicide. ..
- Denning D, Hatch V, Horvitz H. Both the caspase CSP-1 and a caspase-independent pathway promote programmed cell death in parallel to the canonical pathway for apoptosis in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003341 pubmed publisher..We conclude that both caspase-dependent and caspase-independent pathways promote apoptotic programmed cell death and the phagocytosis of cell corpses in parallel to the canonical apoptosis pathway involving CED-3 activation. ..
- Kang Y, Zhao D, Liang H, Liu B, Zhang Y, Liu Q, et al. Structural study of TTR-52 reveals the mechanism by which a bridging molecule mediates apoptotic cell engulfment. Genes Dev. 2012;26:1339-50 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal the first full-length structure of a bridging molecule and the mechanism underlying bridging molecule-mediated apoptotic cell recognition. ..
- Chen Y, Mapes J, Lee E, Skeen Gaar R, Xue D. Caspase-mediated activation of Caenorhabditis elegans CED-8 promotes apoptosis and phosphatidylserine externalization. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2726 pubmed publisher..elegans. Our finding identifies a crucial link between caspase activation and PS externalization, which triggers phagocytosis of apoptotic cells. ..
- Cabello J, Neukomm L, Günesdogan U, Burkart K, Charette S, Lochnit G, et al. The Wnt pathway controls cell death engulfment, spindle orientation, and migration through CED-10/Rac. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000297 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that in multiple developmental processes, CED-10/Rac can link polar signals mediated by the Wnt pathway to rearrangements of the cytoskeleton. ..
- Means T, Mylonakis E, Tampakakis E, Colvin R, Seung E, Puckett L, et al. Evolutionarily conserved recognition and innate immunity to fungal pathogens by the scavenger receptors SCARF1 and CD36. J Exp Med. 2009;206:637-53 pubmed publisher..Binding of these pathogens to SCARF1 and CD36 was beta-glucan dependent. Thus, CED-1/SCARF1 and C03F11.3/CD36 are beta-glucan binding receptors and define an evolutionarily conserved pathway for the innate sensing of fungal pathogens. ..
- Neukomm L, Zeng S, Frei A, Huegli P, Hengartner M. Small GTPase CDC-42 promotes apoptotic cell corpse clearance in response to PAT-2 and CED-1 in C. elegans. Cell Death Differ. 2014;21:845-53 pubmed publisher..elegans. ..
- Sahu S, Lewis J, Patel I, Bozdag S, Lee J, Leclerc J, et al. Genomic analysis of immune response against Vibrio cholerae hemolysin in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38200 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that VCC is a major virulence factor, which induces a wide variety of immune response- related genes during V. cholerae infection in C. elegans...