Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: bar-1
Description: Beta-catenin/armadillo-related protein 1
Alias: Beta-catenin/armadillo-related protein 1
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- Kanamori T, Inoue T, Sakamoto T, Gengyo Ando K, Tsujimoto M, Mitani S, et al. Beta-catenin asymmetry is regulated by PLA1 and retrograde traffic in C. elegans stem cell divisions. EMBO J. 2008;27:1647-57 pubmed publisher..We propose that membrane trafficking regulated by ipla-1 provides a mechanism to control the cortical asymmetry of beta-catenin. ..
- Hajduskova M, Jindra M, Herman M, Asahina M. The nuclear receptor NHR-25 cooperates with the Wnt/beta-catenin asymmetry pathway to control differentiation of the T seam cell in C. elegans. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:3051-60 pubmed publisher..Therefore, NHR-25 can either synergize with or antagonize the Wnt/beta-catenin asymmetry pathway depending on the tissue context. Our findings define NHR-25 as a versatile modulator of Wnt/beta-catenin-dependent cell-fate decisions. ..
- Essers M, de Vries Smits L, Barker N, Polderman P, Burgering B, Korswagen H. Functional interaction between beta-catenin and FOXO in oxidative stress signaling. Science. 2005;308:1181-4 pubmed..These results demonstrate a role for beta-catenin in regulating FOXO function that is particularly important under conditions of oxidative stress. ..
- Gleason J, Korswagen H, Eisenmann D. Activation of Wnt signaling bypasses the requirement for RTK/Ras signaling during C. elegans vulval induction. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1281-90 pubmed..These data suggest that hyperactivation of Wnt signaling is sufficient to cause VPCs to adopt induced fates and that a canonical Wnt pathway may play an important role during C. elegans vulval induction. ..
- Natarajan L, Witwer N, Eisenmann D. The divergent Caenorhabditis elegans beta-catenin proteins BAR-1, WRM-1 and HMP-2 make distinct protein interactions but retain functional redundancy in vivo. Genetics. 2001;159:159-72 pubmed..elegans, these proteins still retain sufficient similarity to display functional redundancy in vivo. ..
- Parker J, Vázquez Manrique R, Tourette C, Farina F, Offner N, Mukhopadhyay A, et al. Integration of ?-catenin, sirtuin, and FOXO signaling protects from mutant huntingtin toxicity. J Neurosci. 2012;32:12630-40 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that integration of ?-catenin, sirtuin and FOXO signaling protects from the early phases of mutant huntingtin toxicity. ..
- Howard R, Sundaram M. C. elegans EOR-1/PLZF and EOR-2 positively regulate Ras and Wnt signaling and function redundantly with LIN-25 and the SUR-2 Mediator component. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1815-27 pubmed..Further studies of eor-1 and eor-2 may provide insight into the roles of PLZF in normal development and leukemogenesis. ..
- Korswagen H, Coudreuse D, Betist M, van de Water S, Zivkovic D, Clevers H. The Axin-like protein PRY-1 is a negative regulator of a canonical Wnt pathway in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1291-302 pubmed..We conclude that a highly divergent destruction complex consisting of PRY-1, SGG-1, and APR-1 regulates BAR-1/beta-catenin signaling in C. elegans. ..
- Cabello J, Neukomm L, Günesdogan U, Burkart K, Charette S, Lochnit G, et al. The Wnt pathway controls cell death engulfment, spindle orientation, and migration through CED-10/Rac. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000297 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that in multiple developmental processes, CED-10/Rac can link polar signals mediated by the Wnt pathway to rearrangements of the cytoskeleton. ..
- Irazoqui J, Troemel E, Feinbaum R, Luhachack L, Cezairliyan B, Ausubel F. Distinct pathogenesis and host responses during infection of C. elegans by P. aeruginosa and S. aureus. PLoS Pathog. 2010;6:e1000982 pubmed publisher..aeruginosa nor the S. aureus-triggered response requires canonical TLR signaling, they imply the existence of unidentified mechanisms for pathogen detection in C. elegans, with potentially conserved roles also in mammals. ..
- Dreier L, Burbea M, Kaplan J. LIN-23-mediated degradation of beta-catenin regulates the abundance of GLR-1 glutamate receptors in the ventral nerve cord of C. elegans. Neuron. 2005;46:51-64 pubmed..We hypothesize that LIN-23-mediated degradation of BAR-1 beta-catenin regulates the transcription of Wnt target genes, which in turn alter postsynaptic properties. ..
- Oosterveen T, Coudreuse D, Yang P, Fraser E, Bergsma J, Dale T, et al. Two functionally distinct Axin-like proteins regulate canonical Wnt signaling in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2007;308:438-48 pubmed..We conclude that Axin function in C. elegans is divided over two different Axin orthologs that have specific functions in negatively regulating canonical Wnt signaling. ..