Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: air-2
Description: Aurora/IPL1-related protein kinase 2
Alias: Aurora/IPL1-related protein kinase 2
Species: Caenorhabditis elegans
- BEMBENEK J, Verbrugghe K, Khanikar J, Csankovszki G, Chan R. Condensin and the spindle midzone prevent cytokinesis failure induced by chromatin bridges in C. elegans embryos. Curr Biol. 2013;23:937-46 pubmed publisher..We postulate that condensin I is recruited by Aurora B(AIR-2) to aid in the resolution of chromatin obstructions and also helps generate a signal to maintain the delay in cytokinesis...
- Sasagawa Y, Higashitani A, Urano T, Ogura T, Yamanaka K. CDC-48/p97 is required for proper meiotic chromosome segregation via controlling AIR-2/Aurora B kinase localization in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Struct Biol. 2012;179:104-11 pubmed publisher..However, the amount and localization of PP1 were not changed by the depletion of CDC-48s. These results suggest that CDC-48s control the restricted localization of AIR-2 to the cohesion sites of homologous chromatids in meiosis I. ..
- Collette K, Petty E, Golenberg N, BEMBENEK J, Csankovszki G. Different roles for Aurora B in condensin targeting during mitosis and meiosis. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:3684-94 pubmed publisher..By contrast, during meiosis, AIR-2 is not required for condensin I chromosomal association, but it provides cues for correct spatial targeting of the complex. ..
- Dumont J, Oegema K, Desai A. A kinetochore-independent mechanism drives anaphase chromosome separation during acentrosomal meiosis. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:894-901 pubmed publisher..We suggest that separation is controlled by a meiosis-specific chromosomal domain to coordinate cohesin removal and chromosome segregation. ..
- Yeh C, Yang H, Lee I, Wu Y. Caenorhabditis elegans TLK-1 controls cytokinesis by localizing AIR-2/Aurora B to midzone microtubules. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;400:187-93 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, human TLK2 could functionally substitute for tlk-1, suggesting that the mitotic roles of TLK members might be evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Bishop J, Han Z, Schumacher J. The Caenorhabditis elegans Aurora B kinase AIR-2 phosphorylates and is required for the localization of a BimC kinesin to meiotic and mitotic spindles. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:742-56 pubmed..Together with our previous data, these results suggest that at least one function of the Aurora B kinases is to recruit spindle-associated motor proteins to their sites of action. ..
- Romano A, Guse A, Krascenicova I, Schnabel H, Schnabel R, Glotzer M. CSC-1: a subunit of the Aurora B kinase complex that binds to the survivin-like protein BIR-1 and the incenp-like protein ICP-1. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:229-36 pubmed..ICP-1 dramatically stimulates AIR-2 kinase activity. This activity is not stimulated by CSC-1/BIR-1, suggesting that these two subunits function as targeting subunits for AIR-2 kinase. ..