- Early identification of autism spectrum disorders
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Canada
Behav Brain Res 251:133-46. 2013
- Sex differences in children with autism spectrum disorder identified within a high-risk infant cohort
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
J Autism Dev Disord 42:2585-96. 2012
..The lower than expected male-to-female ratio, and the relatively high cognitive level among diagnosed children, suggest that we have identified an unanticipated number of higher-functioning girls with ASD...
- Autism spectrum disorders and fetal hypoxia in a population-based cohort: accounting for missing exposures via Estimation-Maximization algorithm
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
BMC Med Res Methodol 11:2. 2011
..We tested the hypothesis that risk of ASD is related to fetal hypoxia and investigated whether this effect is greater among males...
- Advances in the early detection of autism
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Curr Opin Neurol 23:97-102. 2010
..Early detection and diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) allows opportunities for children and their families to benefit more fully from early supports and interventions...
- Using the preschool language scale, fourth edition to characterize language in preschoolers with autism spectrum disorders
University of Alberta, Edmonton
Am J Speech Lang Pathol 20:200-8. 2011
..We expected that PLS-4 performance would be better in more intellectually able children and that receptive skills would be relatively more impaired than expressive abilities, consistent with previous findings in the area of vocabulary...
- Clinical assessment and management of toddlers with suspected autism spectrum disorder: insights from studies of high-risk infants
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Pediatrics 123:1383-91. 2009
..It is hoped that ongoing studies will provide an even stronger foundation for evidence-based diagnostic and intervention approaches for this critically important age group...
- The NeuroDevNet Autism Spectrum Disorders Demonstration Project
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada
Semin Pediatr Neurol 18:40-8. 2011
..We believe that this research has the potential to transform assessment and care for individuals with ASD...
- Two children with muscular dystrophies ascertained due to referral for diagnosis of autism
Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Autism Dev Disord 33:193-9. 2003
..These cases highlight the importance of a thorough neuromotor examination for all children with suspected autism spectrum disorders...