- Ophthalmic drug discovery: novel targets and mechanisms for retinal diseases and glaucoma
Department of Ophthalmology and Molecular Medicine Research Center, State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
Nat Rev Drug Discov 11:541-59. 2012
..This Review discusses the current state of ocular drug therapy and highlights future therapeutic opportunities...
- Production of ELOVL4 transgenic pigs: a large animal model for Stargardt-like macular degeneration
Jeffrey R Sommer
Department of Animal Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 95:1749-54. 2011
..The authors generated transgenic pigs expressing human disease-causing ELOVL4 mutations to better model the pathobiology of this macular disease...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor delivered by encapsulated cell intraocular implants for treatment of geographic atrophy in age-related macular degeneration
Shiley Eye Center and Institute for Genomic Medicine, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:6241-5. 2011
..These findings suggest that CNTF delivered by the encapsulated cell technology implant appears to slow the progression of vision loss in GA, especially in eyes with 20/63 or better vision at baseline...
- Complement factor H genotypes impact risk of age-related macular degeneration by interaction with oxidized phospholipids
Peter X Shaw
Molecular Medicine Research Center and Department of Ophthalmology, State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:13757-62. 2012
..Together, these findings suggest that CFH influences AMD risk by modulating oxidative stress, inflammation, and abnormal angiogenesis...
- Common-path low-coherence interferometry fiber-optic sensor guided microincision
Johns Hopkins University, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
J Biomed Opt 16:095003. 2011
- Unusual manifestations of x-linked retinoschisis: clinical profile and diagnostic evaluation
Aravind Eye Hospital and Postgraduate Institute of Ophthalmology, Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India
Am J Ophthalmol 144:419-423. 2007
..To describe the unusual clinical manifestations and diagnostic evaluation of X-linked retinoschisis (XLR)...
- An essential role of the cysteine-rich domain of FZD4 in Norrin/Wnt signaling and familial exudative vitreoretinopathy
Molecular Medicine Research Center and Department of Ophthalmology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan, China 610041
J Biol Chem 286:10210-5. 2011
..This study identified a new class of FZD4 gene mutations in human disease and demonstrates a critical role of the CRD in Norrin binding and activation of the β-catenin pathway...
- Slit-Robo signaling in ocular angiogenesis
Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shantou, China
Adv Exp Med Biol 664:457-63. 2010
..Further investigation is required to better understand Slit-Robo signaling and develop novel therapy for angiogenesis...
- Genome-wide methylation profiles reveal quantitative views of human aging rates
Department of Bioengineering, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
Mol Cell 49:359-67. 2013
..Our model highlights specific components of the aging process and provides a quantitative readout for studying the role of methylation in age-related disease...
- Essential role of ELOVL4 protein in very long chain fatty acid synthesis and retinal function
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Biol Chem 287:11469-80. 2012
..Altogether, this study demonstrates the essential role of ELOVL4 in VLC-PUFA synthesis and retinal function...
- High temperature requirement factor A1 (HTRA1) gene regulates angiogenesis through transforming growth factor-β family member growth differentiation factor 6
Molecular Medicine Research Center and Department of Ophthalmology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
J Biol Chem 287:1520-6. 2012
..Furthermore, we showed enhanced SMAD signaling in htra1(-/-) mice. Our data suggests a critical role of HTRA1 in the regulation of angiogenesis via TGF-β signaling and identified GDF6 as a novel disease gene for AMD...
- Induced pluripotent stem cell therapies for geographic atrophy of age-related macular degeneration
Institute for Genomic Medicine and Shiley Eye Center, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Semin Ophthalmol 26:216-24. 2011
..For now, RPE cells and photoreceptors derived from patient-specific iPS cells can serve as a valuable tool in elucidating the mechanism of pathogenesis and drug discovery for GA...
- Assessing susceptibility to age-related macular degeneration with genetic markers and environmental factors
Institute for Genomic Medicine and Shiley Eye Center, University of California, San Diego, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 129:344-51. 2011