- Physiological-dose steroid therapy in sepsis [ISRCTN36253388]
Department of Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Crit Care 6:251-9. 2002
..The aim of the study was to assess the prognostic importance of basal cortisol concentrations and cortisol response to corticotropin, and to determine the effects of physiological dose steroid therapy on mortality in patients with sepsis...
- Disseminated nocardiosis due to unusual species: two case reports
Department of Infectious Diseases, Erciyes University, Faculty of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Scand J Infect Dis 38:545-8. 2006
..We report 2 cases of pulmonary nocardiosis admitted with disseminated infection, caused by rare species of Nocardia: Nocardia transvalensis and Nocardia cyriacigeorgica...
- Neurobrucellosis: an evaluation of a rare presentation of brucellosis from a tertiary care centre in Central Anatolia, Turkey
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Erciyes University, Faculty of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Trop Doct 39:233-5. 2009
..Three patients died as a result of problems other than neurobrucellosis and relapse occurred in one patient. Neurobrucellosis presents with hetoregenous clinical signs...
- Sepsis and meningitis due to Listeria monocytogenes
Department of Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University, 38039 Kayseri, Turkey
Yonsei Med J 48:433-9. 2007
..This study focused on the effect of immuno-compromising conditions on the clinical presentation of severe listerial infection. Patients and..
- Doxycycline plus streptomycin versus ciprofloxacin plus rifampicin in spinal brucellosis [ISRCTN31053647]
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
BMC Infect Dis 6:72. 2006
..The aim of this study is to compare the efficacy, adverse drug reactions, complications and cost of ciprofloxacin plus rifampicin versus doxycycline plus streptomycin in the treatment of spinal brucellosis...
- Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease: a rare but important cause of fever and lymphadenopathy in pregnant women
Department of Hematology Oncology, Erciyes University, Faculty of Medicine, Dedeman Oncology Hospital, Kayseri, Turkey
Am J Hematol 81:118-20. 2006
..The patient carried the fetus to full term with no apparent adverse effect. Our experience showed that steroid therapy may be used effectively to control KFD-related symptoms after the first 16 weeks without terminating the pregnancy...
- Severe thrombotic microangiopathy associated with brucellosis: successful treatment with plasmapheresis
Erciyes University, Faculty of Medicine, Dedeman Hematology Oncology Hospital and Department of Hematology Oncology, Kayseri, Turkey
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 11:105-8. 2005
..For cases with infection-induced thrombotic microangiopathy, short-term plasmapheresis may be applied as an urgent therapy in addition to antimicrobial therapy...
- Catheter-related bacteremia due to Kocuria rosea in a patient undergoing peripheral blood stem cell transplantation
Department of Hematology Oncology and BMT Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
BMC Infect Dis 4:62. 2004
..In addition, strains identified as Micrococcus spp. have been reported recently in infections associated with indwelling intravenous lines, continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis fluids, ventricular shunts and prosthetic valves...
- Genotypic analysis of Acinetobacter bloodstream infection isolates in a Turkish university hospital
Department of Infectious Diseases, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Scand J Infect Dis 38:335-40. 2006
..Essential components of an infection control programme to prevent nosocomial transmission of A. baumannii are early detection of colonized patients, followed by strict attention to standard precautions and contact isolation...
- Investigation of the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis and changes in the size of adrenal glands in acute brucellosis
Department of Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University, Kayseri/Turkey
Endocr J 52:183-8. 2005
..We concluded that the HPA axis is activated and the adrenal glands are enlarged in acute brucellosis, which is reduced after appropriate therapy...
- The effects of moderate-dose steroid therapy in sepsis: A placebo-controlled, randomized study
Associate Professor, Department of Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
J Res Med Sci 16:1410-21. 2011
..Despite the new developments in sepsis treatment, mortality rate is still high. In this study, we aimed to investigate endocrinologic changes and the effects of moderate dosage steroid treatment in patients with sepsis...
- Actinomycoses and Nocardia pulmonary infections
Department of Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Curr Opin Pulm Med 12:228-34. 2006
..Immunocompromised hosts, however, may develop fulminant disease resembling acute bacterial pneumonia. The purpose of this review is primarily to review the clinical features, diagnosis, and management of actinomycosis and nocardiosis...
- Intravenous gamma globulin is effective as an urgent treatment in Brucella-induced severe thrombocytopenic purpura
Department of Hematology, Erciyes University, Faculty of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Am J Hematol 80:204-6. 2005
..For cases of Brucella-induced thrombocytopenic purpura, IVIg may be administered as an urgent therapy until the microbial therapy takes effect...
- Primary hydatid cyst of the thigh: a case report of an unusual localization
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Erciyes University Faculty of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Turk J Pediatr 48:256-9. 2006
..We did not find any visceral organ involvement. Wide excision was performed without destroying the cyst wall. Primary muscular hydatidosis should be kept in mind in the differential diagnosis of a cystic mass of a skeletal muscle...
- A multicenter retrospective study defining the clinical and hematological manifestations of brucellosis and pancytopenia in a large series: Hematological malignancies, the unusual cause of pancytopenia in patients with brucellosis
Department of Hematology, Faculty of Medicine, Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
Am J Hematol 83:334-9. 2008