- Levels of soluble human leukocyte antigen class 1 are increased in Graves' disease and toxic multinodular goiter and correlate with the levels of triiodothyronine
Department of Endocrinology, Overton Brooks VA Medical Center L S U Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71101 4295, USA
Thyroid 12:679-82. 2002
..61). On follow-up after treatment for Graves' disease, levels of sHLA-1 decreased by 62% with p = 0.0006 (active Graves vs. follow-up). We conclude that there is a definite association between thyroid hormones and sHLA-1 levels...
- Changes in adipocyte hormones leptin, resistin, and adiponectin in thyroid dysfunction
Department of Endocrinology, VAMC LSU HSC, Shreveport, Louisiana 71101 4295, USA
J Cell Biochem 93:491-6. 2004
..38 +/- 2.47 vs. 55.10 +/- 2.58 NS). Leptin levels did not correlate with resistin and adiponectin. We conclude that thyroid function has effect on adipocyte hormones adiponectin and resistin but not leptin...
- Bone mineral density changes on androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer and response to antiresorptive therapy
Department of Endocrinology, Overton Brooks VAMC LSU HSC, Shreveport, LA 71101 4295, USA
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 9:35-8. 2006
..We conclude that men treated with androgen deprivation therapy are at risk for bone loss and should have BMD measured at the time of initiation of androgen deprivation therapy and periodically...
- Symptomatic ascites in a patient with hypothyroidism of short duration
Department of Endocrinology, VA Medical Center Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71101 4295, USA
Am J Med Sci 333:48-52. 2007
..We conclude that ascites associated with hypothyroidism is rare but must be recognized early, since thyroid replacement is the definitive therapy...
- Thyroid nodule with eggshell calcification and oncocytic thyroid cancer
Section of Endocrinology, Shreveport, LA, USA
Med Sci Monit 16:CS25-28. 2010
..To report an interesting case of Hurthle cell cancer of the thyroid with eggshell calcification, including ultra-sonographic, surgical, histological, and immuno-histochemical findings and discussion of diagnostic and therapeutic strategies...
- Skeletal effects of statins
Section of Endocrinology, Overton Brooks VA Medical Center LSU Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71101 4295, USA
Endocr Pract 9:315-20. 2003
..To review the skeletal effects of hydroxy-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) reductase inhibitors (statins) and evaluate the use and potential benefit of statins in the management of osteoporosis...
- Thiazolidinedione treatment decreases bone mineral density in type 2 diabetic men
Department of Endocrinology, Overton Brooks VA Medical Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71101 4295, USA
Diabetes Care 30:1574-6. 2007