- Lost to follow up: contributing factors and challenges in South African patients on antiretroviral therapy
Clinical HIV Research Unit, Department of Medicine, University of the Witwatersrand
S Afr Med J 97:853-7. 2007
..Data on a sample of patients who failed to return for follow-up were analysed to identify the causes and to plan strategies to overcome the problem...
- Kaposi's Sarcoma Associated-Herpes Virus (KSHV) Seroprevalence in Pregnant Women in South Africa
Babatyi I Malope-Kgokong
Viral Oncology Section, AIDS and Cancer Virus Program, SAIC Frederick, NCI Frederick, Frederick MD, USA
Infect Agent Cancer 5:14. 2010
..We measured the seroprevalence of KSHV in relation to HIV, syphilis, and demographic factors among pregnant women attending public antenatal clinics in the Gauteng province of South Africa...
- Occult hepatitis B virus infection in patients with isolated core antibody and HIV co-infection in an urban clinic in Johannesburg, South Africa
Clinical HIV Research Unit, Department of Medicine, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Int J Infect Dis 13:488-92. 2009
..However, sensitive molecular techniques for detecting HBV DNA in serum can detect occult HBV infection. We report the first observational prospective study of occult HBV infection in HIV-positive people in South Africa...
- No evidence of sexual transmission of Kaposi's sarcoma herpes virus in a heterosexual South African population
Babatyi I Malope
Clinical HIV Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
AIDS 22:519-26. 2008
..The transmission of Kaposi's sarcoma herpes virus (KSHV) in men who have sex with men is clearly associated with sexual risk factors, but evidence of heterosexual transmission of KSHV is conflicting...
- Kaposi sarcoma (KS)-associated herpesvirus microRNA sequence analysis and KS risk in a European AIDS-KS case control study
Viral Oncology Section, SAIC Frederick, NCI Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
J Infect Dis 202:1126-35. 2010
..Here, we examine whether any of these may contribute to KS risk in a European AIDS-KS case-control study...
- Detection of antibodies to Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus: a new approach using K8.1 ELISA and a newly developed recombinant LANA ELISA
Georgina L Mbisa
Viral Technology Laboratory, Advanced Technology Program, SAIC Frederick, Inc, NCI Frederick, Frederick, MD 21702, United States
J Immunol Methods 356:39-46. 2010
..1 ELISA to enable the highly sensitive and specific detection of antibodies to KSHV. Use of this testing strategy will provide a more accurate and reliable diagnostic assessment of KSHV status...
- Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus transmission and primary infection
Viral Oncology Section, AIDS and Cancer Virus Program, SAIC Frederick, NCI Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
Curr Opin HIV AIDS 4:22-6. 2009
..Transmission and risk factors for infection by KSHV are not fully understood. The purpose of this review is to highlight recent advances in our understanding of KSHV transmission in various settings...
- The prevalence of hepatitis B co-infection in a South African urban government HIV clinic
Clinical HIV Research Unit, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
S Afr Med J 98:541-4. 2008
..Co-infection with hepatitis B and HIV can influence antiretroviral treatment and prognosis of both diseases. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the prevalence of hepatitis B/HIV coinfection...
- A longitudinal study of stavudine-associated toxicities in a large cohort of South African HIV infected subjects
Colin N Menezes
Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of Medicine, Helen Joseph Hospital, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
BMC Infect Dis 11:244. 2011
..This has brought new challenges which include the effects of stavudine-related toxicities...
- Prevalence and predictors of kaposi sarcoma herpes virus seropositivity: a cross-sectional analysis of HIV-infected adults initiating ART in Johannesburg, South Africa
Clinical HIV Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand York Avenue, Johannesburg 2193, South Africa
Infect Agent Cancer 6:22. 2011