- Integrated results of 2 phase 3 studies comparing tigecycline and levofloxacin in community-acquired pneumonia
Department of Internal Medicine, St Pantelimon Clinical Emergency Hospital, Bucharest OP 22, Romania
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 61:329-38. 2008
..6% TGC versus 6.9% LEV) were significantly higher in LEV. Discontinuations for AEs were low (TGC, 26 patients [6.1%]; LEV, 34 patients [8.1%]). TGC appeared safe and achieved cure rates similar to LEV in hospitalized patients with CAP...
- Safety analysis of fidaxomicin in comparison with oral vancomycin for Clostridium difficile infections
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 55:S110-5. 2012
..Fidaxomicin appears to be well tolerated. Continued monitoring of adverse events in the postmarketing setting will provide additional information about the full safety profile of fidaxomicin...
- The controversy of combination vs monotherapy in the treatment of hospitalized community-acquired pneumonia
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital, University of Montreal, 5415 L Assomption, Montreal, QC, Canada H1T 2M4
Chest 128:940-6. 2005
..Indeed, this regimen was recommended for all of the inpatient categories in the latest Infectious Disease Society of America CAP guidelines in 2003...
- An open-label, randomized, multicenter, comparative study of the efficacy and safety of 7 days of treatment with clarithromycin extended-release tablets versus clarithromycin immediate-release tablets for the treatment of patients with acute bacterial exa
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Hopital Maisonneuve Rosemont, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clin Ther 24:2105-22. 2002
..The aim of this study was to compare the efficacy and safety of clarithromycin extended-release (ER) tablets and immediate-release (IR) tablets...
- Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea rates and global antibiotic consumption in five Quebec institutions from 2001 to 2004
Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Montreal, 5415 L Assomption, Montreal, QC, Canada H1T 2M4
Int J Antimicrob Agents 30:309-14. 2007
..Deficient infection control measures likely led to the rapid spread and dissemination of this newly characterised clone within some parts of Quebec...
- Multipronged intervention strategy to control an outbreak of Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) and its impact on the rates of CDI from 2002 to 2007
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 30:156-62. 2009
..We tested and implemented a multipronged infection control approach to curtail the rate of C. difficile infection (CDI)...
- Clinical characteristics at initial presentation and impact of dual therapy on the outcome of bacteremic Streptococcus pneumoniae pneumonia in adults
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital, University of Montreal, 5415 L Assomption, Montreal, Quebec H1T 2M4, Canada
Can Respir J 11:589-93. 2004
..In fact, all CAP guidelines have identified this issue as one of the most important issues when establishing their recommendations...
- Clostridium difficile and fluoroquinolones: is there a link?
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital, University of Montreal, 5415 L Assomption, Montreal, Quebec H1T 2M4, Canada
Int J Antimicrob Agents 33:S29-32. 2009
..difficile infection. After reviewing the available published data on this topic the evidence for a link seems to be suggestive but not conclusive. Infection-control issues seem to play a more important role than fluoroquinolone use...
- Impact of a multipronged education strategy on antibiotic prescribing in Quebec, Canada
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 53:433-9. 2011
..Following a significant rise of Clostridium difficile infections, all the health care stakeholders in the province of Quebec, Canada initiated a global education program targeting physicians and pharmacists...
- In vitro activity of a novel ketolide ABT-773 against invasive strains of Streptococcus pneumoniae
Hopital Maisonneuve Rosemont, University of Montreal, 5415 L Assomption, Montreal, Quebec H1T 2M4, Canada
J Antimicrob Chemother 48:407-9. 2001
..ABT-773 is a very active and promising agent against invasive strains of S. pneumoniae, including multiresistant strains...
- A nosocomial outbreak of fluoroquinolone-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Hopital Maisonneuve Rosemont, University of Montreal, 5415 L Assomption, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H1T 2M4
Clin Infect Dis 33:517-22. 2001
..12 microg/mL of gemifloxacin. This outbreak demonstrates the ability of S. pneumoniae to acquire multiple mutations that result in increasing levels of resistance to the fluoroquinolones and to be transmitted from person to person...
- Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of macrolide-resistant group A Streptococcus strains in the province of Quebec, Canada
Hopital Maisonneuve Rosemont, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H1T 2M4
J Antimicrob Chemother 47:345-8. 2001
..Of the remaining eight strains, two strains had the erm(B) gene, five had the mef gene and one with a different serotype also had the erm(TR) gene...
- Comparative activity of new quinolones against 326 clinical isolates of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia
Hopital Maisonneuve Rosemont, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H1T 2M4
J Antimicrob Chemother 45:363-5. 2000
..maltophilia, notably lower respiratory tract infections...
- Toxin-binding treatment for Clostridium difficile: a review including reports of studies with tolevamer
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Montreal, 5415 L Assomption, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H1T 2M4
Int J Antimicrob Agents 33:4-7. 2009
..Non-antibiotic-based therapies might become the best available option for a condition almost always caused by antibiotics...
- Molecular characteristics of pbp1a and pbp2b in clinical Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates in Quebec, Canada
Laboratoire d Immunogénétique, Centre de recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Hôpital Notre Dame du CHUM, 1560 rue Sherbrooke Est, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Antimicrob Chemother 57:61-70. 2006
- Genotypic characterization of macrolide-resistant strains of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolated in Quebec, Canada, and in vitro activity of ABT-773 and telithromycin
Hopital Maisonneuve Rosemont, 5415 L Assomption, Montreal, Quebec H1T 2M4
J Antimicrob Chemother 50:403-6. 2002
..ABT-773 and telithromycin were very active against all these resistant strains irrespective of the resistance mechanism, with MIC(90)s of 0.25 and 0.5 mg/L, respectively...
- Clinical aspects and cost of invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae infections in children: resistant vs. susceptible strains
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Disease, Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital, University of Montreal, 5415 L Assomption, Que, Canada H1T 2M4
Int J Antimicrob Agents 20:113-8. 2002
..There were no differences between invasive infections caused by PRSP and PSSP in terms of clinical presentation, morbidity or mortality in a paediatric population...
- Comparative activity of trovafloxacin and Bay 12-8039 against 452 clinical isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Hopital Maisonneuve Rosemont, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Antimicrob Chemother 42:523-5. 1998
..Only 4% and 0.7% of the strains had MICs of levofloxacin and ciprofloxacin respectively of < or = 0.25 mg/L. Compared with older quinolones, trovafloxacin and Bay 12-8039 have good in-vitro activity against S. pneumoniae...
- Comparison of activity of 10 antibiotics against clinical strains of Helicobacter pylori by three different techniques
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Hopital Maisonneuve Rosemont, University of Montreal, Quebec
Can J Gastroenterol 12:181-5. 1998
..Macrolides are very active against H pylori isolates, with few variations in activity between older and newer molecules. Correlation among different methods was not as good as reported in the literature for metronidazole...
- Acute bacterial sinusitis in adults: management in the primary care setting
McGill University Health Science Center, 1650 Cedar Ave, Room A2 141, McGill University, Montreal, QC
J Otolaryngol 31:2S2-14. 2002
..For patients who fail to improve with symptomatic treatment, a 10-day course of amoxicillin is recommended. Second line antibiotics should be initiated if improvement is not seen within 72 to 96 hours...
- Genetic analysis of pbp2x in clinical Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates in Quebec, Canada
Laboratoire d Immunogénétique, Centre de recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
J Antimicrob Chemother 55:832-9. 2005
- Derivation and validation of a simple clinical bedside score (ATLAS) for Clostridium difficile infection which predicts response to therapy
Mark A Miller
Division of Infectious Diseases, Jewish General Hospital, 3755 Cote Ste Catherine Rd, Montreal, QC, Canada
BMC Infect Dis 13:148. 2013
..There is currently no validated clinical tool for use at the time of CDI diagnosis to categorize patients in order to predict response to therapy...
- Human metapneumovirus infection in adults with community-acquired pneumonia and exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
M E Hamelin
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Sainte Foy, QC, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 41:498-502. 2005
..1%) of 145 adult patients who presented to the emergency department for pneumonia or acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease during 2 winter/spring seasons in Quebec, Canada...
- Effect of a fermented milk combining Lactobacillus acidophilus Cl1285 and Lactobacillus casei in the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial
Department of Pharmacy, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 21:732-6. 2007
- Tolevamer, a novel nonantibiotic polymer, compared with vancomycin in the treatment of mild to moderately severe Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea
Thomas J Louie
University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 43:411-20. 2006
..difficile-associated diarrhea, and selection for nosocomial pathogens. Tolevamer, a soluble, high-molecular weight, anionic polymer that binds C. difficile toxins A and B is a unique nonantibiotic treatment option...
- [Bacterial resistance: the new cold war]
Centre de Recherche Guy Bernier
Perspect Infirm 2:38-40. 2004
- Poor infection control, not fluoroquinolones, likely to be primary cause of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea outbreaks in Quebec
Clin Infect Dis 42:725-7; author reply 727-9. 2006
- Fluoroquinolones for respiratory infection: too valuable to overuse (and too valuable to misuse!)
Chest 122:1102-3; author reply 1103. 2002
- Antimicrobial resistance among clinical isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae in Canada during 2000
Donald E Low
Department of Microbiology, Toronto Medical Laboratories and Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:1295-301. 2002
..The MIC of linezolid was <or=2 microg/ml for all isolates. Many of the new antimicrobial agents tested in this study appear to have potential for the treatment of multidrug-resistant strains of pneumococci...
- Activities of new fluoroquinolones, ketolides, and other antimicrobials against blood culture isolates of viridans group streptococci from across Canada, 2000
Andrea S Gershon
University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:1553-6. 2002
..06, 0.06, 0.12, and 0.03 microg/ml, respectively...
- Activity of GAR-936 and other antimicrobial agents against North American isolates of Staphylococcus aureus
Donald E Low
Department of Microbiology, Toronto Medical Laboratories, Mount Sinai Hospital, Room 1487, 600 University Avenue, Toronoto, Ont, Canada M5G 1X5
Int J Antimicrob Agents 20:220-2. 2002
..The GAR-936 MICs ranged from 0.06 to 1.0 mg/l. The MIC(50)s and MIC(90)s were 0.12 and 0.25 mg/l for MSSA and 0.25 and 0.5 mg/l for MRSA...
- In vitro antimicrobial susceptibilities of Streptococcus pneumoniae clinical isolates obtained in Canada in 2002
Department of Microbiology, Rm 1487, Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Ave, Toronto, M5G 1X5 Ontario, Canada
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:3305-11. 2004
..Nonsusceptibility to amoxicillin and ceftriaxone remains uncommon. Newer antimicrobials such as telithromycin and respiratory fluoroquinolones have excellent in vitro activity...
- VanG-type vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis strains isolated in Canada
David A Boyd
National Microbiology Laboratory, Public Health Agency of Canada, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2217-21. 2006
..faecalis BM4518. E. faecalis N03-0233 (vancomycin MIC, 16 microg/ml) was found to harbor a novel vanG operon, vanG2, on an element in a different chromosomal location than the vanG-harboring elements in G1-0247 and BM4518...
- A proteomic analysis of penicillin resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae reveals a novel role for PstS, a subunit of the phosphate ABC transporter
Centre de Recherche en Infectiologie et Division de Microbiologie, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Laval, Quebec City, Canada
Mol Microbiol 58:1430-40. 2005
..Inactivation of pstS in one of the clinical isolates significantly reduced penicillin resistance. Global approaches are ideally suited for the discovery of novel factors in the biology of resistance...
- Vancomycin-resistant enterococci in Canada: results from the Canadian nosocomial infection surveillance program, 1999-2005
Centre for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, Public Health Agency of Canada, Ottawa, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 29:271-4. 2008
..Although the incidence rate of VRE carriage in Canada is increasing, it remains very low...
- Comprehensive evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for ventilator-associated pneumonia: diagnosis and treatment
Department of Medicine, Queen s University, Kingston, Canada K7L 2V7
J Crit Care 23:138-47. 2008
..Despite a large amount of research evidence, the optimal diagnostic and treatment strategies for VAP remain controversial...