- Idiopathic brood disease syndrome and queen events as precursors of colony mortality in migratory beekeeping operations in the eastern United States
Department of Entomology, Plant Science Building, University of Maryland, MD 20742, USA
Prev Vet Med 108:225-33. 2013
..These finding support the growing consensus that the causes of colony mortality are multiple and interrelated...
- Short-term fumigation of honey bee (Hymenoptera: Apidae) colonies with formic and acetic acids for the control of Varroa destructor (Acari: Varroidae)
Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, 2301 North Cameron St, Harrisburg PA 17110, USA
J Econ Entomol 101:256-64. 2008
..The short-term formic acid treatment killed > 60% of varroa mites in capped worker brood; thus, it is a promising tool for beekeepers, especially when such treatments are necessary during the nectar flow...
- A survey of honey bee colony losses in the U.S., fall 2007 to spring 2008
Dennis Van Engelsdorp
Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry Apiculture, Harrisburg, PA, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e4071. 2008
..Our survey quantifies the extent of colony losses in the United States over the winter of 2007-2008...
- "Entombed Pollen": A new condition in honey bee colonies associated with increased risk of colony mortality
Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Penn State University, Harrisburg, 17074, United States
J Invertebr Pathol 101:147-9. 2009
..Additional studies are needed to determine if there is a causal relationship between entombed pollen, chemical residues, and colony mortality...
- Weighing risk factors associated with bee colony collapse disorder by classification and regression tree analysis
Bureau of Plant Industry, Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, 2301 North Cameron St, Harrisburg PA 17110, USA
J Econ Entomol 103:1517-23. 2010
..This analysis highlights several areas that warrant further attention, including the effect of sublethal pesticide exposure on pathogen prevalence and the role of variability in bee tolerance to pesticides on colony survivorship...
- Colony collapse disorder: a descriptive study
Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Harrisburg, PA, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e6481. 2009
..We initiated a descriptive epizootiological study in order to better characterize CCD and compare risk factor exposure between populations afflicted by and not afflicted by CCD...
- A metagenomic survey of microbes in honey bee colony collapse disorder
Diana L Cox Foster
Department of Entomology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Science 318:283-7. 2007
..One organism, Israeli acute paralysis virus of bees, was strongly correlated with CCD...
- A historical review of managed honey bee populations in Europe and the United States and the factors that may affect them
Department of Entomology, The Pennsylvania State University, 501 ASI Bldg, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Invertebr Pathol 103:S80-95. 2010