Anthony N van den Pol
Affiliation: Yale University
- van den Pol A. Excitatory neuromodulator reduces dopamine release, enhancing prolactin secretion. Neuron. 2010;65:147-9 pubmed publisher....
- van den Pol A, Mao G, Chattopadhyay A, Rose J, Davis J. Chikungunya, Influenza, Nipah, and Semliki Forest Chimeric Viruses with Vesicular Stomatitis Virus: Actions in the Brain. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..These results suggest that while chimeric VSVs show promise, each must be tested with both intranasal and intracranial administration to ensure the absence of lethal neurotropism. ..
- van den Pol A, Mao G, Yang Y, Ornaghi S, Davis J. Zika Virus Targeting in the Developing Brain. J Neurosci. 2017;37:2161-2175 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that ZIKV infects multiple cell types within the brain and that astrocyte infection may play a more important role in initial infection than previously appreciated. ..
- Zhang X, van den Pol A. Rapid binge-like eating and body weight gain driven by zona incerta GABA neuron activation. Science. 2017;356:853-859 pubmed publisher..These data suggest an unexpected robust orexigenic potential for the ZI GABA neurons. ..
- van den Pol A, Acuna Goycolea C, Clark K, Ghosh P. Physiological properties of hypothalamic MCH neurons identified with selective expression of reporter gene after recombinant virus infection. Neuron. 2004;42:635-52 pubmed..Together, these data support the view that MCH neurons may integrate information within the arousal system in favor of energy conservation. ..
- van den Pol A, Yao Y, Fu L, Foo K, Huang H, Coppari R, et al. Neuromedin B and gastrin-releasing peptide excite arcuate nucleus neuropeptide Y neurons in a novel transgenic mouse expressing strong Renilla green fluorescent protein in NPY neurons. J Neurosci. 2009;29:4622-39 pubmed publisher....
- Zhang X, van den Pol A. Dopamine/Tyrosine Hydroxylase Neurons of the Hypothalamic Arcuate Nucleus Release GABA, Communicate with Dopaminergic and Other Arcuate Neurons, and Respond to Dynorphin, Met-Enkephalin, and Oxytocin. J Neurosci. 2015;35:14966-82 pubmed publisher..TH-containing neurons appeared to release synaptic GABA within the ARC onto dopamine neurons and unidentified neurons, suggesting that the cells not only control pituitary hormones but also may modulate nearby neurons. ..
- Ornaghi S, Davis J, Gorres K, Miller G, Paidas M, van den Pol A. Mood stabilizers inhibit cytomegalovirus infection. Virology. 2016;499:121-135 pubmed publisher..Our work provides a novel potential direction for CMV therapeutics through repositioning of agents already approved for use in psychiatric disorders. ..
- Gao X, Van den Pol A. GABA, not glutamate, a primary transmitter driving action potentials in developing hypothalamic neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2001;85:425-34 pubmed..Thus a number of factors related to spike-dependent stabilization of neuronal connections, including Hebbian mechanisms, that are generally applied to glutamate transmission may also participate in stabilization of GABA circuits...
- van den Pol A. Viral infections in the developing and mature brain. Trends Neurosci. 2006;29:398-406 pubmed publisher..This review is part of the INMED/TINS special issue "Nature and nurture in brain development and neurological disorders", based on presentations at the annual INMED/TINS symposium (http://inmednet.com/).]..
- Ornaghi S, Hsieh L, Bordey A, Vergani P, Paidas M, van den Pol A. Valnoctamide Inhibits Cytomegalovirus Infection in Developing Brain and Attenuates Neurobehavioral Dysfunctions and Brain Abnormalities. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6877-6893 pubmed publisher..Treatment of uninfected control animals exerts no detectable adverse effects. VCD also blocks CMV replication in human fetal brain cells. ..