Affiliation: Yale University
- Monteiro A, Glaser G, Stockslager S, Glansdorp N, Ramos D. Comparative insights into questions of lepidopteran wing pattern homology. BMC Dev Biol. 2006;6:52 pubmed..Eyespots with concentric rings may have co-opted a wound healing genetic network during their evolution. ..
- Monteiro A, Chen B, Scott L, Vedder L, Prijs H, Belicha Villanueva A, et al. The combined effect of two mutations that alter serially homologous color pattern elements on the fore and hindwings of a butterfly. BMC Genet. 2007;8:22 pubmed..Spotty, unlike Missing, may be under Ubx gene regulation, since it affects a subset of eyespots on only one of the serially homologous wings. ..
- Everett A, Tong X, Briscoe A, Monteiro A. Phenotypic plasticity in opsin expression in a butterfly compound eye complements sex role reversal. BMC Evol Biol. 2012;12:232 pubmed publisher..We discuss our results in the context of distinct sexual and natural selection pressures that may be facing each sex in the wild in each season. ..
- Monteiro A. Gene regulatory networks reused to build novel traits: co-option of an eye-related gene regulatory network in eye-like organs and red wing patches on insect wings is suggested by optix expression. Bioessays. 2012;34:181-6 pubmed publisher..Novel research directions to facilitate inference of network co-option are also highlighted, especially in cases where the pre-existent and novel traits do not resemble each other...
- Monteiro A, Chen B, Ramos D, Oliver J, Tong X, Guo M, et al. Distal-less regulates eyespot patterns and melanization in Bicyclus butterflies. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2013;320:321-31 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Dll is a positive regulator of focal differentiation and eyespot signaling and that this gene is also a possible selector gene for scale melanization in butterflies. ..