Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Yale University
- Gopinath S, Kim M, Rakib T, Wong P, Van Zandt M, Barry N, et al. Topical application of aminoglycoside antibiotics enhances host resistance to viral infections in a microbiota-independent manner. Nat Microbiol. 2018;3:611-621 pubmed publisher..These results highlight an unexpected ability of aminoglycoside antibiotics to confer broad antiviral resistance in vivo. ..
- Foxman E, Storer J, Fitzgerald M, Wasik B, Hou L, Zhao H, et al. Temperature-dependent innate defense against the common cold virus limits viral replication at warm temperature in mouse airway cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:827-32 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that in mouse airway cells, rhinovirus replicates preferentially at nasal cavity temperature due, in part, to a less efficient antiviral defense response of infected cells at cool temperature. ..
- Khoury Hanold W, Iwasaki A. Autophagy Snuffs a Macrophage's Inner Fire. Cell Host Microbe. 2016;19:9-11 pubmed publisher..2016; Park et al., 2016) demonstrate that deletion of autophagy in myeloid cells leads paradoxically to better control of viral infection in vivo through enhanced inflammation, leading to antiviral resistance. ..
- Iwasaki A. A virological view of innate immune recognition. Annu Rev Microbiol. 2012;66:177-96 pubmed publisher..On the basis of other unique features common to viral infections, undiscovered areas of virus detection are discussed. ..
- Khoury Hanold W, Yordy B, Kong P, Kong Y, Ge W, Szigeti Buck K, et al. Viral Spread to Enteric Neurons Links Genital HSV-1 Infection to Toxic Megacolon and Lethality. Cell Host Microbe. 2016;19:788-99 pubmed publisher..Laxative treatment rescued mice from lethality following genital HSV-1 infection. These results reveal an unexpected pathogenesis of HSV associated with ENS infection. ..
- Yockey L, Jurado K, Arora N, Millet A, Rakib T, Milano K, et al. Type I interferons instigate fetal demise after Zika virus infection. Sci Immunol. 2018;3: pubmed publisher..Our results implicate type I IFNs as a possible mediator of pregnancy complications, including spontaneous abortions and growth restriction, in the context of congenital viral infections. ..
- Yockey L, Varela L, Rakib T, Khoury Hanold W, Fink S, Stutz B, et al. Vaginal Exposure to Zika Virus during Pregnancy Leads to Fetal Brain Infection. Cell. 2016;166:1247-1256.e4 pubmed publisher..This was exacerbated in mice deficient in IFN pathways, leading to abortion. Our study highlights the vaginal tract as a highly susceptible site of ZIKV replication and illustrates the dire disease consequences during pregnancy. ..
- Molony R, Nguyen J, Kong Y, Montgomery R, Shaw A, Iwasaki A. Aging impairs both primary and secondary RIG-I signaling for interferon induction in human monocytes. Sci Signal. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..Aging thus compromises both the primary and secondary RIG-I signaling pathways that govern expression of type I IFN genes, thereby impairing antiviral resistance to IAV. ..
- Wong P, Iwasaki A. RAB15 empowers dendritic cells to drive antiviral immunity. Sci Immunol. 2017;2: pubmed publisher..CD1c+ and CD141+ dendritic cells cooperate to sustain antiviral T cell responses. ..
- Hastings A, Yockey L, Jagger B, Hwang J, Uraki R, Gaitsch H, et al. TAM Receptors Are Not Required for Zika Virus Infection in Mice. Cell Rep. 2017;19:558-568 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that, in mice, TAM receptors are not required for ZIKV entry and infection. ..
- Kumamoto Y, Camporez J, Jurczak M, Shanabrough M, Horvath T, Shulman G, et al. CD301b(+) Mononuclear Phagocytes Maintain Positive Energy Balance through Secretion of Resistin-like Molecule Alpha. Immunity. 2016;45:583-596 pubmed publisher..Reconstituting RELM? in CD301b(+) MNP-depleted animals restored body weight and normoglycemia. Thus, CD301b(+) MNPs play crucial roles in maintaining glucose metabolism and net energy balance. ..
- Hayashi K, Sasai M, Iwasaki A. Toll-like receptor 9 trafficking and signaling for type I interferons requires PIKfyve activity. Int Immunol. 2015;27:435-45 pubmed publisher..Further, AP-3 recruitment to TLR9 endosomes was impaired by PIKfyve inhibition. These data indicate that PIKfyve provides critical PIs necessary for the formation of endosome from which TLR9 signals to induce type I IFNs. ..
- Iwasaki A. Role of autophagy in innate viral recognition. Autophagy. 2007;3:354-6 pubmed..These results indicated that autophagy plays a key role in mediating virus detection and IFNalpha secretion in pDCs, and suggest that cytosolic replication intermediates of ssRNA viruses serve as pathogen signatures recognized by TLR7. ..
- Pillai P, Molony R, Martinod K, Dong H, Pang I, Tal M, et al. Mx1 reveals innate pathways to antiviral resistance and lethal influenza disease. Science. 2016;352:463-6 pubmed publisher..Therefore, in the context of weakened antiviral resistance, vulnerability to IAV disease is a function of caspase-dependent pathology. ..