Allen L Hsiao
Affiliation: Yale University
- Secure web messaging in a pediatric chronic care clinic: a slow takeoff of "kids' airmail"Allen L Hsiao
Department of Pediatrics, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Pediatrics 127:e406-13. 2011..For this reason, firewall-secured electronic messaging systems have been developed for use in health care. Impact and usability of these secure systems have not been broadly assessed...
- The GuideLine Implementability Appraisal (GLIA): development of an instrument to identify obstacles to guideline implementationRichard N Shiffman
Yale Center for Medical Informatics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 5:23. 2005..Implementability refers to a set of characteristics that predict ease of (and obstacles to) guideline implementation. Our objective is to develop and validate a tool for appraisal of implementability of clinical guidelines...
- A randomized trial to assess the efficacy of point-of-care testing in decreasing length of stay in a pediatric emergency departmentAllen L Hsiao
Section of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 23:457-62. 2007..To compare the effect of point-of-care (POC) testing versus traditional laboratory methods on length of stay in a pediatric emergency department (ED)...
- Fever in the new millennium: a review of recent studies of markers of serious bacterial infection in febrile childrenAllen L Hsiao
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8064, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 17:56-61. 2005..This review examines some of the recent work evaluating the usefulness of indicators for SBI, such as white blood cell count (WBC), C-reactive protein (CRP), procalcitonin (PCT), and interleukin-6 (IL-6)...
- Pediatric fatality following ingestion of dinitrophenol: postmortem identification of a "dietary supplement"Allen L Hsiao
Section of Pediatric Emergency Medicine and Department of Pediatrics, Yale University School of Medicine, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 43:281-5. 2005..Her death, despite prompt medical treatment, underscores the danger of dinitrophenol. The easy accessibility and apparent resurgent interest in dinitrophenol as a weight loss agent is extremely timely and troubling...
- Incidence and predictors of serious bacterial infections among 57- to 180-day-old infantsAllen L Hsiao
Department of Pediatrics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06504, USA
Pediatrics 117:1695-701. 2006..Numerous researchers have investigated fever in infants <2 months of age. However, the etiology of fever and usefulness of screening tests in older (2-6 months) infants is not well studied...
- Dropping the baton during the handoff from emergency department to primary care: pediatric asthma continuity errorsAllen L Hsiao
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 35:467-74. 2009..METHODs: Paper charts were reviewed for evidence of continuity of information and continuity of follow-up within the directed five-day period after an asthma exacerbation as recommended in national guidelines...
- Advances in clinical forensic medicineKaren A Santucci
Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Section of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Yale New Haven Children s Hospital, Connecticut 06504, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 15:304-8. 2003..Also reviewed are the most current publications related to clinical forensic medicine for the year 2002, incorporating practical clinical tips from the most informative articles from the past decade...
- Randomized trial of endotracheal tube versus laryngeal mask airway in simulated prehospital pediatric arrestLei Chen
Section of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06504, USA
Pediatrics 122:e294-7. 2008....
- Utility of bedside bladder ultrasound before urethral catheterization in young childrenLei Chen
Department of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, 20 York St, WP143, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
Pediatrics 115:108-11. 2005..Consequently, this relatively invasive and uncomfortable procedure often needs to be repeated. The newly available technology of portable ultrasound may be useful in reducing the number of unsuccessful procedures...
- Diagnosis of intussusception by physician novice sonographers in the emergency departmentAntonio Riera
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Emergency Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Ann Emerg Med 60:264-8. 2012..We investigate the performance characteristics of bedside emergency department (ED) ultrasonography by nonradiologist physician sonographers in the diagnosis of ileocolic intussusception in children...
- Emergency department information system adoption in the United StatesAdam B Landman
Department of Emergency Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
Acad Emerg Med 17:536-44. 2010....