Genomes and Genes
J E Galan
Affiliation: Yale University
- Galan J. Typhoid toxin provides a window into typhoid fever and the biology of Salmonella Typhi. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:6338-44 pubmed publisher..The discovery of typhoid toxin not only has provided major insight into these questions but also has offered unique opportunities to develop novel therapeutic and prevention strategies to combat typhoid fever. ..
- Chang S, Song J, Galan J. Receptor-Mediated Sorting of Typhoid Toxin during Its Export from Salmonella Typhi-Infected Cells. Cell Host Microbe. 2016;20:682-689 pubmed publisher..Typhi mutant with impaired trafficking is not properly sorted into vesicles. These results reveal how the exotoxin of an intracellular pathogen engages host pathways for packaging and release. ..
- Fowler C, Chang S, Gao X, Geiger T, Stack G, Galan J. Emerging insights into the biology of typhoid toxin. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2017;35:70-77 pubmed publisher..Further advances in understanding the biology of this toxin will help guide the development of badly needed diagnostics and therapeutic interventions that target this toxin to detect, prevent or treat typhoid fever. ..
- Fowler C, Galan J. Decoding a Salmonella Typhi Regulatory Network that Controls Typhoid Toxin Expression within Human Cells. Cell Host Microbe. 2018;23:65-76.e6 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data describe a regulatory mechanism that allows a bacterial pathogen to exclusively express a virulence factor when located within a specific intracellular compartment. ..
- SpanÃ² S, Gao X, Hannemann S, Lara Tejero M, GalÃ¡n J. A Bacterial Pathogen Targets a Host Rab-Family GTPase Defense Pathway with a GAP. Cell Host Microbe. 2016;19:216-26 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that a cell-autonomous, Rab32-dependent host defense pathway plays a central role in the defense against vacuolar pathogens and describe a mechanism evolved by a bacterial pathogen to counter it. ..
- Deng L, Song J, Gao X, Wang J, Yu H, Chen X, et al. Host adaptation of a bacterial toxin from the human pathogen Salmonella Typhi. Cell. 2014;159:1290-9 pubmed publisher..These findings provide insight into the molecular bases for Salmonella Typhi's host specificity and may help the development of therapies for typhoid fever. ..
- Hu B, Lara Tejero M, Kong Q, Galan J, Liu J. In Situ Molecular Architecture of the Salmonella Type III Secretion Machine. Cell. 2017;168:1065-1074.e10 pubmed publisher..These studies provide major insight into the structure and assembly of a broadly distributed protein secretion machine. ..
- Gao X, Deng L, Stack G, Yu H, Chen X, Naito Matsui Y, et al. Evolution of host adaptation in the Salmonella typhoid toxin. Nat Microbiol. 2017;2:1592-1599 pubmed publisher..This is a remarkable example of a toxin evolving to broaden its enzymatic activities and adapt to a specific host. ..