Geoffrey M Attardo
Affiliation: Yale University
- Transcriptome analysis of reproductive tissue and intrauterine developmental stages of the tsetse fly (Glossina morsitans morsitans)Geoffrey M Attardo
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
BMC Genomics 11:160. 2010..3438 expressed sequence tags were sequenced and analyzed...
- Analysis of lipolysis underlying lactation in the tsetse fly, Glossina morsitansGeoffrey M Attardo
Yale School of Public Health, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 42:360-70. 2012..The similarities in the lipid metabolic pathways and other aspects of milk production between tsetse and mammals indicate that this fly could be used as a novel model for lactation research...
- An insight into the sialome of Glossina morsitans morsitansJuliana Alves-Silva
Vector Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, L3 5QA, UK
BMC Genomics 11:213. 2010..Adult tsetse flies feed exclusively on vertebrate blood and are important vectors of human and animal diseases. Thus far, only limited information exists regarding the Glossina sialome, or any other fly belonging to the Hippoboscidae...
- Sphingomyelinase activity in mother's milk is essential for juvenile development: a case from lactating tsetse fliesJoshua B Benoit
Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale School of Public Health, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Biol Reprod 87:17, 1-10. 2012....
- Molecular aspects of viviparous reproductive biology of the tsetse fly (Glossina morsitans morsitans): regulation of yolk and milk gland protein synthesisGeoffrey M Attardo
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, 606 LEPH New Haven, CT 06510, USA
J Insect Physiol 52:1128-36. 2006..These results demonstrate that both GmmYP1 and GmmMGP are involved in tsetse reproductive biology, the former associated with the process of oogenesis and the latter with larvigenesis...
- Molecular aspects of transferrin expression in the tsetse fly (Glossina morsitans morsitans)Nurper Guz
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, 60 College Street, 606 LEPH, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
J Insect Physiol 53:715-23. 2007..Analysis of tsetse that have cured the parasite challenge shows normal levels of GmmTsf. This observation suggests that the parasite in competing for the availability of limited dietary iron may manipulate host gene expression...
- The Homeodomain Protein Ladybird Late Regulates Synthesis of Milk Proteins during Pregnancy in the Tsetse Fly (Glossina morsitans)Geoffrey M Attardo
Yale School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases, New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 8:e2645. 2014..This system is critical for tsetse fecundity and provides a potential target for development of a reproductive inhibitor. ..
- A Novel Highly Divergent Protein Family Identified from a Viviparous Insect by RNA-seq Analysis: A Potential Target for Tsetse Fly-Specific AbortifacientsJoshua B Benoit
Division of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases, Yale School of Public Health, New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America
PLoS Genet 10:e1003874. 2014..that are essential to larval development. The specificity of MGP2-10 to tsetse and their critical role during lactation suggests that these proteins may be an excellent target for tsetse-specific population control approaches. ..
- Infections with immunogenic trypanosomes reduce tsetse reproductive fitness: potential impact of different parasite strains on vector population structureChangyun Hu
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e192. 2008..Potential repercussions for vector population growth, parasite-host coevolution, and disease prevalence are discussed...
- Lipophorin acts as a shuttle of lipids to the milk gland during tsetse fly pregnancyJoshua B Benoit
Division of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases, School of Public Health, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06511, United States
J Insect Physiol 57:1553-61. 2011..Once in the milk gland however, lipids are apparently transferred into the developing larva not by lipophorin but by another carrier lipoprotein...
- Aquaporins Are Critical for Provision of Water during Lactation and Intrauterine Progeny Hydration to Maintain Tsetse Fly Reproductive SuccessJoshua B Benoit
Department of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases, Yale School of Public Health, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 8:e2517. 2014..Based on these results, we conclude that gmmDripA and gmmDripB are critical for diuresis, stress tolerance and intrauterine lactation through the regulation of water and/or other uncharged solutes. ..
- Analysis of milk gland structure and function in Glossina morsitans: milk protein production, symbiont populations and fecundityGeoffrey M Attardo
Yale School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology and Microbial Diseases, 60 College Street, 606 LEPH New Haven, CT 06510, USA
J Insect Physiol 54:1236-42. 2008..We discuss the significance of the milk gland in larval nutrition and in transmission of symbiotic bacteria to developing offspring...
- Amelioration of reproduction-associated oxidative stress in a viviparous insect is critical to prevent reproductive senescenceVeronika Michalková
Department of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases, Yale School of Public Health, New Haven, Connecticut, United State of America Section of Molecular and Applied Zoology, Institute of Zoology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovakia
PLoS ONE 9:e87554. 2014..This process is particularly important for females to remain fecund during the latter portion of their lifetime. ..
- Molecular Analysis of Tsetse Fly ReproductionGeoffrey Attardo; Fiscal Year: 2007..Study of reproduction in Glossina and the factors that regulate it would greatly expand understanding of Glossina molecular biology and also potentially illuminate targets for vector control strategies. ..