Steven M Wright
- Integration of women veterans into VA quality improvement research efforts: what researchers need to knowElizabeth M Yano
VA Greater Los Angeles HSR and D Center of Excellence, 16111 Plummer Street, Sepulveda, CA 91343, USA
J Gen Intern Med 25:56-61. 2010..We then discuss challenges and potential solutions for increasing representation of women veterans in VA research, including steps for implementation research...
- Patient satisfaction of female and male users of Veterans Health Administration servicesSteven M Wright
The Office of Quality and Performance, Veterans Health Administration, Washington, DC, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:S26-32. 2006..To compare patient satisfaction of male and female users of Veterans Health Administration (VHA) services...
- When VA patients have non-VA hospitalizations, who pays for what services, and what are the research implications? A New York case studyAlan N West
VA Outcomes Group Research Enhancement Award Program, White River Junction VA Medical Center, White River Junction, Vermont 05009, USA
Med Care 46:872-7. 2008....
- Measuring performance directly using the veterans health administration electronic medical record: a comparison with external peer reviewJoseph L Goulet
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, and VA Connecticut Healthcare System, West Haven, Connecticut 06516, USA
Med Care 45:73-9. 2007..Electronic medical records systems (EMR) contain many directly analyzable data fields that may reduce the need for extensive chart review, thus allowing for performance measures to be assessed on a larger proportion of patients in care...
- Differences in risk-adjusted mortality between medicaid-eligible patients enrolled in medicare advantage plans and those enrolled in the veterans health administrationAlfredo J Selim
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes, and Economic Research, VA Medical Center, Bedford, Massachusetts, 01730, USA
J Ambul Care Manage 32:232-40. 2009..We compared risk-adjusted mortality rates between Medicaid-eligible patients in the Medicare Advantage plans ("MA dual enrollees") and Medicaid-eligible patients in the Veterans Health Administration ("VHA dual enrollees")...
- Using the six sigma process to implement the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Guideline for Hand Hygiene in 4 intensive care unitsNoel E Eldridge
Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, National Center for Patient Safety, Washington, DC 20420, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:S35-42. 2006..The CDC's emphasis on the use of alcohol-based hand rubs (ABHRs) rather than soap and water was an opportunity to improve compliance, but the Guideline contained over 40 specific recommendations to implement...
- Comparison of health outcomes for male seniors in the Veterans Health Administration and Medicare Advantage plansAlfredo J Selim
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes and Economic Research, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Hospital 152, Building 70, 200 Springs Road, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Health Serv Res 45:376-96. 2010..To compare the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) with the Medicare Advantage (MA) plans with regard to health outcomes...
- Hospital use and survival among Veterans Affairs beneficiariesCarol M Ashton
Center for Quality of Care and Utilization Studies, Houston Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
N Engl J Med 349:1637-46. 2003..We postulated that if access to hospital care was reduced too much, or if decreased hospital use was not offset by improvements in ambulatory care, urgent care visits would increase or survival rates would fall...
- Examining quality issues in alcohol misuse screeningEric J Hawkins
Health Services Research and Development, Center of Excellence in Substasnce Abuse Treatment and Education, 1160 S Colombian Way, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Subst Abus 28:53-65. 2007..Lower rates of alcohol use and misuse documented in medical records compared to mailed surveys suggest further investigation and standardization of clinical screening are necessary...
- Veterans Health Administration patients' use of the private sector for coronary revascularization in New York: opportunities to improve outcomes by directing care to high-performance hospitalsWilliam B Weeks
VA Outcomes Group, Veterans Health Administration, White River Junction, Vermont 05009, USA
Med Care 44:519-26. 2006..We sought to quantify Veterans Health Administration (VA) patients' utilization of coronary revascularization in the private sector and to assess the potential impact of directing this care to high-performance hospitals...
- Utilization of VA and Medicare services by Medicare-eligible veterans: the impact of additional access points in a rural settingWilliam Brinson Weeks
Veterans Rural Health Initiative, Veterans Health Administration, White River Junction, Vermont, USA
J Healthc Manag 50:95-106; discussion 106-7. 2005..Analyses of the efficiency of adding access points to healthcare systems should be conducted, with particular emphasis on examining the possibilities of encroachment, worsened coordination of care, and potential health services overuse...
- Performance measures, vaccinations, and pneumonia rates among high-risk patients in Veterans Administration health careAshish K Jha
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Mass, USA
Am J Public Health 97:2167-72. 2007..We evaluated the effect of a performance measurement program instituted by the Veterans Health Administration in 1995 to improve vaccination rates...
- Racial variations in quality of care and outcomes in an ambulatory heart failure cohortAnita Deswal
Houston Center for Quality of Care and Utilization Studies, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am Heart J 152:348-54. 2006..However, systematic evaluation of racial differences in both the quality of care and outcomes is needed in the outpatient setting, where most patients with HF are treated and where care may be more fragmented...
- Veterans Health Administration and Medicare outpatient health care utilization by older rural and urban New England veteransWilliam B Weeks
Department of Psychiatry, Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH, USA
J Rural Health 21:167-71. 2005..Older veterans often use both the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) and Medicare to obtain health care services...
- Impact of race on cardiac care and outcomes in veterans with acute myocardial infarctionLaura A Petersen
Houston Center for Quality of Care and Utilization Studies, a Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, Houston VA Medical Center, Texas 77030, USA
Med Care 40:I86-96. 2002..The goal of this study was to assess racial differences in process of care and outcome for acute myocardial infarction in the VA health care system...