Amie J Dirks
Affiliation: Wingate University
- Aging and lifelong calorie restriction result in adaptations of skeletal muscle apoptosis repressor, apoptosis-inducing factor, X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis, caspase-3, and caspase-12Amie J Dirks
Biochemistry of Aging Laboratory, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 36:27-39. 2004..Calorie restriction is able to lower the apoptotic potential in aged skeletal muscle by altering several key apoptotic proteins toward cellular survival, thereby reducing the potential for sarcopenia...
- Caloric restriction in humans: potential pitfalls and health concernsAmie J Dirks
Wingate University, School of Pharmacy, 316 N Main Street, Wingate, NC 28174, USA
Mech Ageing Dev 127:1-7. 2006..These potential pitfalls and "side effects" are not clearly addressed in the literature and will be a focus of this review...
- Tumor necrosis factor alpha signaling in skeletal muscle: effects of age and caloric restrictionAmie J Dirks
Wingate University, School of Pharmacy, Wingate, NC 28174, USA
J Nutr Biochem 17:501-8. 2006..The potential role of TNF-alpha in the progression of sarcopenia will be discussed, as well as the effects of life-long caloric restriction on TNF-alpha signaling...
- Statin-induced apoptosis and skeletal myopathyAmie J Dirks
Wingate University School of Pharmacy, Wingate, North Carolina 28174, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 291:C1208-12. 2006..The mitochondrion is considered a regulatory center of apoptosis, and therefore its role in the induction of apoptosis will be discussed as well as the mechanism of statin-induced apoptosis and myopathy...
- The role of apoptosis in age-related skeletal muscle atrophyAmie J Dirks
School of Pharmacy, Wingate University, Wingate, North Carolina, USA
Sports Med 35:473-83. 2005..Exercise training and caloric restriction are two interventions known to enhance skeletal muscle function. The effects of these interventions on apoptosis are discussed...
- Mitochondrial DNA mutations, energy metabolism and apoptosis in aging muscleAmie J Dirks
Wingate University, School of Pharmacy, 316 N. Main Street, Wingate, NC 28174, USA
Ageing Res Rev 5:179-95. 2006..Evidence concerning these series of events leading to energy depletion and apoptosis are discussed...
- Doxorubicin treatment in vivo causes cytochrome C release and cardiomyocyte apoptosis, as well as increased mitochondrial efficiency, superoxide dismutase activity, and Bcl-2:Bax ratioApril C Childs
University of Florida, Biochemistry of Aging Laboratory, College of Health and Human Performance, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
Cancer Res 62:4592-8. 2002..These findings demonstrate that doxorubicin induces oxidative stress and mitochondrial-mediated apoptosis, as well as adaptive responses by the mitochondria to protect cardiac myocytes in vivo...
- Radiation-induced cyclooxygenase 2 up-regulation is dependent on redox status in prostate cancer cellsLingyun Li
Department of Radiation Oncology, Stanford University, School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Radiat Res 160:617-21. 2003..Radiation-induced increases in ROS levels contribute to the adaptive response of PC-3 cells, resulting in elevated levels of COX2...