Howard N Garb
Affiliation: Wilford Hall Medical Center
- Clinical judgment and decision makingHoward N Garb
Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas 78236 5300, USA
Annu Rev Clin Psychol 1:67-89. 2005..Results from research on clinical judgment and decision making and their relationship to conflicts within the field of clinical psychology are discussed...
- Incremental validity and the assessment of psychopathology in adultsHoward N Garb
Veterans Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Psychol Assess 15:508-20. 2003..Tellegen, & B. Kaemmer, 1989), and brief self-rated measures (e.g., the Anxiety Sensitivity Index, S. Reiss, R. A. Peterson, D. M. Gursky, & R. M. McNally, 1986). Results are generally less encouraging for projective techniques...
- Computer-administered interviews and rating scalesHoward N Garb
Psychology Research Service, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, TX 78236 5300, USA
Psychol Assess 19:4-13. 2007..However, the use of computer-administered interviews and rating scales will sometimes lead to false positive diagnoses, and for this reason, it is recommended that computer assessment be combined with clinical judgment...
- Roots of the Rorschach controversyHoward N Garb
Psychology Research Service, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base AFB, 59 MDOS MMCPR, 2200 Bergquist Drive, Suite 1, San Antonio, TX 78236 5300, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 25:97-118. 2005..We conclude that a variety of other divisive conflicts in clinical psychology are related to the inappropriate weight placed on informal and unsystematic impressions relative to systematic research...
- On the merits of clinical judgment: commentHoward N Garb
Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, TX 78236 5300, USA
Am Psychol 60:658-9; discussion 659-61. 2005
- Judgment research and the dimensional model of personalityHoward N Garb
Lackland Air Force Base, TX 78236, USA
Am Psychol 63:60-1; discussion 62-3. 2008..Although Widiger and Trull argued that the shift to a dimensional model will improve the diagnosis of personality disorders, we can also expect that it will lead to improvements in evaluating personality traits...
- A comparison of three strategies for scale construction to predict a specific behavioral outcomeHoward N Garb
Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, TX 78236, USA
Assessment 18:399-411. 2011..However, the internal strategy also yields valid results and can be a reasonable choice when outcome data are unavailable...
- Clinical assessmentJames M Wood
Department of Psychology, University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, Texas 79968, USA
Annu Rev Psychol 53:519-43. 2002..We conclude that clinical psychology can adapt to future conditions by developing assessment strategies that are economical, scientifically sound, and culturally sensitive...
- The Shedler-Westen Assessment Procedure-200 as a basis for modifying DSM personality disorder categoriesJames M Wood
Department of Psychology, University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX 79968, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 116:823-36. 2007..The authors conclude that research evidence is currently insufficient to justify the use of SWAP-based PD categories to guide revision of the DSM...
- Description of risk and resilience factors among military medical personnel before deployment to IraqShira Maguen
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Mil Med 173:1-9. 2008....