J F Norman
Affiliation: Western Kentucky University
- Adkins O, Norman J. The Visual Aesthetics of Snowflakes. Perception. 2016;: pubmed..The results for the snowflakes were more uniform: 91% of participants perceived only the complex snowflakes as being most beautiful. ..
- Norman J, Norman H, Swindle J, Jennings L, Bartholomew A. Aging and the discrimination of object weight. Perception. 2009;38:1347-54 pubmed..4% and 6.6% of the standard for the older and younger observers, respectively. The current findings of an age-related deterioration in the ability to discriminate lifted weight extend and disambiguate the results of earlier research. ..
- Norman J, Bartholomew A, Burton C. Aging preserves the ability to perceive 3D object shape from static but not deforming boundary contours. Acta Psychol (Amst). 2008;129:198-207 pubmed publisher..e., moving) silhouettes. The reduced ability of older observers to perceive 3D shape from motion is probably due to a low-level deterioration in the ability to detect and discriminate motion itself. ..
- Norman J, Clayton A, Norman H, Crabtree C. Learning to perceive differences in solid shape through vision and touch. Perception. 2008;37:185-96 pubmed..In general, the results indicate that effective cross-modal shape comparisons can be made between the modalities of vision and active touch, but that complete information transfer does not occur. ..
- Norman J, Kappers A, Cheeseman J, Ronning C, Thomason K, Baxter M, et al. Aging and curvature discrimination from static and dynamic touch. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68577 pubmed publisher..The results of the current study demonstrate that while older adults can accurately discriminate surface curvature from dynamic touch, they possess significant impairments for static touch. ..
- Norman J, Adkins O, Dowell C, Shain L, Hoyng S, Kinnard J. The visual perception of distance ratios outdoors. Atten Percept Psychophys. 2017;79:1195-1203 pubmed publisher..Significant modulatory effects of sex and age occurred, such that the male observers' judgments were the most precise, while those of the older males were the most accurate. ..