RUTH TURNER GOINS
Affiliation: West Virginia University
- Using GIS in a first national mapping of functional disability among older American Indians and Alaska Natives from the 2000 censusMargaret P Moss
University of Minnesota, School of Nursing, 308 Harvard Street, 6 138 Weaver Densford Hall, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Int J Health Geogr 5:37. 2006..The study purpose was to create the first national mapping of functional disability for AIANs using the 2000 U.S. Census...
- Theory and practice in participatory research: lessons from the Native Elder Care StudyR Turner Goins
Center on Aging, Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Gerontologist 51:285-94. 2011..Researchers and communities can expect well-crafted collaborative projects to generate particular types of positive project outcomes for both partners, but should prepare for both predictable and unique challenges...
- Lay meanings of health among rural older adults in AppalachiaR Turner Goins
Center on Aging, Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506 9127, USA
J Rural Health 27:13-20. 2011..Qualitative methods may help capture these lay meanings of health. The purpose of our study was to use a qualitative approach to examine what perceptions community-dwelling rural older adults have regarding their health...
- Adult caregiving among American Indians: the role of cultural factorsR Turner Goins
Department of Community Medicine, Center on Aging, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Gerontologist 51:310-20. 2011..This is the first such study conducted with American Indians...
- Service provider perceptions of long-term care access in American Indian and Alaska Native communitiesR Turner Goins
West Virginia University, Center on Aging, Department of Community Medicine, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 21:1340-53. 2010..The need for long-term care services for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/ANs) is great since this population is experiencing some of the highest rates in the United States of chronic disease and disability...
- Assistive technology use of older American Indians in a southeastern tribe: the native elder care studyR Turner Goins
Department of Community Medicine, Center on Aging, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:2185-90. 2010..Clinicians can use this information to identify the activities with which their patients are experiencing the most difficulty and which ones can be addressed with AT versus personal care...
- Comorbidity among older American Indians: the native elder care studyR Turner Goins
Department of Community Medicine, Center on Aging, Robert C Byrd Health Sciences Center, West Virginia University, P O Box 9127, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
J Cross Cult Gerontol 25:343-54. 2010..These findings highlight the importance of supporting chronic care and management services for the older American Indian population...
- Disability among older American Indians and Alaska Natives: an analysis of the 2000 Census Public Use Microdata SampleR Turner Goins
Center on Aging and Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University, PO Box 9127, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Gerontologist 47:690-6. 2007....
- Perceived barriers to health care access among rural older adults: a qualitative studyR Turner Goins
Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV, USA
J Rural Health 21:206-13. 2005..The majority of what we know about this issue has been based upon quantitative studies, yet qualitative studies might offer additional insight into individual perceptions of health care access...
- Awareness and use of home- and community-based long-term care by rural American Indian and white elderly with co-morbid diabetesR Turner Goins
Center on Aging, West Virginia University, PO Box 9127, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Home Health Care Serv Q 22:65-81. 2003..The most common way that the American Indian participants learned about HCBLTC programs was through health care referrals, while the most common way for whites was through friends...
- Effect of obesity on health-related quality of life among Appalachian elderlyR Turner Goins
Center on Aging and Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
South Med J 96:552-7. 2003..Identifying factors among older adults that place them at risk for low health-related quality of life is important for targeting unmet health needs and guiding community efforts to help improve population health...
- Emerging services for community-based long-term care in urban China: a systematic analysis of Shanghai's community-based agenciesBei Wu
Center on Aging and Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown 26506, USA
J Aging Soc Policy 17:37-60. 2005..Several main issues involved in the development of the emerging system are addressed, and relevant policy implications are presented in the paper...
- Effects of the built environment on physical activity of adults living in rural settingsStephanie S Frost
Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Am J Health Promot 24:267-83. 2010..To conduct a systematic review of the literature to examine the influence of the built environment (BE) on the physical activity (PA) of adults in rural settings...
- The effects of depressed affect on functional disability among rural older adultsJulie Hicks Patrick
Department of Psychology, West Virginia University, 53 Campus Drive, Morgantown, WV 26506 6040, USA
Qual Life Res 13:959-67. 2004..Moreover, we discuss whether community-based long-term care is appropriate for older adults with high levels of functional disability...
- Using online modules is a multi-modality teaching system: a high-touch high-tech approach to geriatric educationSara Jane Gainor
Mountain State Geriatric Education Center, Center on Aging, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26505, USA
Gerontol Geriatr Educ 24:45-59. 2004....
- Guardianship capacity evaluations of older adults: comparing current practice to legal standards in two statesKenneth C Dudley
West Virginia University, Department of Counseling, Rehabilitation Counseling, and Counseling Psychology, Center on Aging, Morgantown 26506, USA
J Aging Soc Policy 15:97-115. 2003..In over 75% of cases, full guardianship was granted. Issues on terminology, concern regarding evaluators and courts, and ways for evaluators and the court to fulfill their responsibilities to older adults are discussed...
- The aging farm population and rural aging researchJim Mitchell
Department of Sociology, Center on Aging, Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858 4354, USA
J Agromedicine 13:95-109. 2008....
- Disability and American Indian ElderlyRUTH GOINS; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding racial differences in the development and experience of disability will yield valuable information on how to reduce the health disparities currently faced by American Indian elders. ..