Geri A Dino
Affiliation: West Virginia University
- Adolescent smoking cessation: promising strategies and evidence-based recommendationsGeri A Dino
Prevention Research Center, Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University School of Medicine, PO Box 9190, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506, USA
Adolesc Med State Art Rev 22:614-30, xiii-xiv. 2011..These include behavioral approaches and initial research regarding pharmacotherapy as well as strategies for individual patient encounters, practice management, and public advocacy...
- A profile of teen smokers who volunteered to participate in school-based smoking interventionKimberly Horn
Translational Tobacco Reduction Research Program, Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center and Prevention Research Center, West Virginia University, PO Box 8110, Morgantown, WV 26506 8110, USA
Tob Induc Dis 4:6. 2008..N-O-T is the most widely used teen smoking cessation program in the nation...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of the Not On Tobacco program for adolescent smoking cessationGeri Dino
Department of Community Medicine, Prevention Research Center, West Virginia University, PO Box 9190, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Prev Sci 9:38-46. 2008..46 years. Results indicate that N-O-T is a very cost-effective option school-based smoking cessation, as cost effective as school-based primary tobacco prevention, and potentially more cost effective than adult tobacco use cessation...
- Who wants to quit? Characteristics of American Indian youth who seek smoking cessation interventionKimberly Horn
Translational Tobacco Reduction Research Program, Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center and Prevention Research Center, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506 8110, USA
J Community Health 34:153-63. 2009....
- Beyond quitting: predictors of teen smoking cessation, reduction and acceleration following a school-based interventionSTEVEN A BRANSTETTER
Department of Psychology and Translational Tobacco Reduction Research Program, Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506, United States
Drug Alcohol Depend 99:160-8. 2009..Finally, a path model demonstrated how peers, siblings and romantic partners affected tobacco use and cessation outcomes differently for males and females. Implications for interventions are discussed...
- Feasibility of a smoking cessation intervention for teens in the emergency department: reach, implementation fidelity, and acceptabilityKimberly Horn
Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, USA
Am J Crit Care 17:205-16. 2008..Some experts suggest that motivational interviewing can support a population health approach to reach large numbers of teen smokers without the resource demands of multi-session interventions...
- Efficacy of an emergency department-based motivational teenage smoking interventionKimberly Horn
West Virginia University, Department of Community Medicine, Prevention Research Center, Office of Drug Abuse Intervention Studies, P O Box 9190, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 4:A08. 2007..Motivational interviewing techniques have been minimally researched as a function of a teenage smoking intervention. The present study examined the efficacy of a theory-based motivational tobacco intervention (MTI)...
- Applying community-based participatory research principles to the development of a smoking-cessation program for American Indian teens: "telling our story"Kimberly Horn
West Virginia University, Morgantown 26505, USA
Health Educ Behav 35:44-69. 2008....
- Quit and reduction rates for a pilot study of the American Indian Not On Tobacco (N-O-T) programKimberly Horn
Department of Community Medicine, Centers for Public Health Training and Research, Office of Drug Abuse Intervention Studies ODAIS, West Virginia University, PO Box 9190, Morgantown, WV 26505 9190, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 2:A13. 2005..The objective of this study, conducted during 2003 and 2004, was to determine the preliminary quit and reduction outcomes of the American Lung Association's newly adapted American Indian Not On Tobacco (N-O-T) program...
- Exploring the relationship between mental health and smoking cessation: a study of rural teensKimberly Horn
Office of Drug Abuse Intervention Studies, Prevention Research Center, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506, USA
Prev Sci 5:113-26. 2004..Future cessation programming with rural youth should consider the inclusion of coping and stress management skills and mental health referral protocols as significant program components...
- Adolescent nicotine dependence and smoking cessation outcomesKimberly Horn
West Virginia University, PO Box 9190, Morgantown 26506, USA
Addict Behav 28:769-76. 2003..The brief intervention was successful with only low-dependent smokers, whereas the intensive, multisession, N-O-T intervention was effective with smokers possessing a range of nicotine dependence, including high-dependent smokers...
- Stage of change and smoking cessation outcomes among adolescentsGeri Dino
Department of Community Medicine, Prevention Research Center and Office of Drug Abuse Intervention Studies, West Virginia University, P O Box 9190, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Addict Behav 29:935-40. 2004..In contrast, N-O-T was effective for youth regardless of baseline stage. Additionally, N-O-T participants demonstrated greater forward stage movement from baseline to postbaseline than did BI participants...
- Potential effects of active parental consent: Enrolling teen smokers into a school-based cessation programKimberly A Horn
Department of Community Medicine, Robert C Byrd Health Sciences Center, West Virginia University, 1 Medical Center Drive, P O Box 9190, Morgantown, WV 26506 9190, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 11:1359-67. 2009..However, informed consent procedures requiring active parental consent may restrict or influence teen participation in critical teen cessation programs...
- Smoking and breast cancer screening in West Virginia: opportunities for interventionCindy Tworek
Department of Pharmaceutical Systems and Policy, School of Pharmacy, West Virginia University, Charleston, WV, USA
W V Med J 105:48-53. 2009..These women can be identified and targeted as an important high risk population with unmet need for smoking cessation and breast cancer screening interventions...
- Appalachian teen smokers: not on tobacco 15 months laterKimberly A Horn
Office of Drug Abuse Intervention Studies, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26505, USA
Am J Public Health 94:181-4. 2004..Findings suggest that N-O-T is one option for long-term smoking cessation among rural teens...
- Recruitment barriers and successes of the American Lung Association's Not-On-Tobacco ProgramCatherine J Massey
Dept of Psychology, 226 Vincent Science Hall, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA 16057, USA
J Sch Health 73:58-63. 2003..However, recruitment was effective when active recruitment techniques such as maximized interpersonal contact involving one-on-one conversation were used...
- School-based programs: lessons learned from CATCH, Planet Health, and Not-On-TobaccoAdele Franks
Prevention Research Centers Office, MS K45 DACH NCCDPHP CDC, 3005 Buford Highway, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 4:A33. 2007..The authors provide advice based on lessons learned from these programs to those who wish to work with young people in schools...