J H Coben
Affiliation: West Virginia University
- Priorities for research in child maltreatment, intimate partner violence and resilience to violence exposures: results of an international Delphi consensus development processC Nadine Wathen
Faculty of Information and Media Studies, Western University, London, ON, Canada
BMC Public Health 12:684. 2012....
- Development of a nurse home visitation intervention for intimate partner violenceSusan M Jack
School of Nursing, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 12:50. 2012....
- Rural-urban differences in injury hospitalizations in the U.S., 2004Jeffrey H Coben
Department of Emergency Medicine, School of Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506 9151, USA
Am J Prev Med 36:49-55. 2009..The objective of this study was to compare injury-hospitalization rates between rural and urban populations using population-based national estimates derived from patient-encounter data...
- Hospital and demographic influences on the disposition of transient ischemic attackJeffrey H Coben
Department of Emergency Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, USA
Acad Emerg Med 15:171-6. 2008..In this study, the authors examined the influence of clinical, sociodemographic, and hospital characteristics on ED disposition...
- Characteristics of motorcycle-related hospitalizations: comparing states with different helmet lawsJeffrey H Coben
Department of Emergency Medicine, Injury Control Research Center, West Virginia University, Morgantown, P O Box 9151, WV 26506 9151, USA
Accid Anal Prev 39:190-6. 2007..This study further illustrates and substantiates the increased burden of hospitalization and long-term care seen in states that lack universal motorcycle helmet use laws...
- Completeness of cause of injury coding in healthcare administrative databases in the United States, 2001J H Coben
Injury Control Research Center, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, USA
Inj Prev 12:199-201. 2006..To determine the completeness of external cause of injury coding (E-coding) within healthcare administrative databases in the United States and to identify factors that contribute to variations in E-code reporting across states...
- The potential of using billing data for emergency department injury surveillanceH B Weiss
University of Pittsburgh, Department of Emergency Medicine, PA 15213, USA
Acad Emerg Med 4:282-7. 1997..To determine the availability of and sample statewide ED injury information obtained from hospital billing data for the purpose of demonstrating the feasibility of information acquisition for subsequent data linkage...
- A population-based study of fatal and nonfatal firearm-related injuriesJ H Coben
University of Pittsburgh, Department of Emergency Medicine, PA, USA
Acad Emerg Med 4:248-55. 1997..To determine population-based firearm-related morbidity and mortality for Allegheny County, PA (population = 1.3 million), for the year 1994...
- Victimization from physical violence in Pennsylvania: prevalence and health care useS N Forjuoh
University of Pittsburgh, Department of Emergency Medicine, PA, USA
Acad Emerg Med 4:1052-8. 1997..To determine the prevalence of interpersonal physical violence (IPV) among Pennsylvania adults, to identify the personal characteristics of the victims, and to determine their health care use for resulting injuries...
- All-terrain vehicle-related hospitalizations in the United States, 2000-2004James C Helmkamp
Injury Control Research Center, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506 9151, USA
Am J Prev Med 34:39-45. 2008..To estimate the incidence of all-terrain vehicle (ATV)-related injury hospitalizations in the United States from 2000 through 2004, and to describe the types of injuries and associated hospital costs for the entire population...
- The black-white suicide paradox: possible effects of misclassificationIan R H Rockett
Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, USA
Soc Sci Med 63:2165-75. 2006....
- Prevalence of intimate partner abuse in women treated at community hospital emergency departmentsS R Dearwater
Department of Emergency Medicine, Center for Violence and Injury Control, Allegheny University of the Health Sciences, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
JAMA 280:433-8. 1998....
- Incidence of dog bite injuries treated in emergency departmentsH B Weiss
Department of Emergency Medicine, Center for Injury Research and Control, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
JAMA 279:51-3. 1998..Dog bites that result in injuries occur frequently, but how frequently dog bite injuries necessitate medical attention at a hospital or hospital admission is unknown...
- Gender and time differences in the associations between sexual violence victimization, health outcomes, and risk behaviorsEkta Choudhary
Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Am J Mens Health 2:254-9. 2008..The broad range of outcomes associated with victimization suggests that further research is needed to better understand the consequences associated with sexual violence across the lifespan...
- Driving beliefs and behaviors of novice teen drivers and their parents: implications for teen driver crash riskMary Pat McKay
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Department of Emergency Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Annu Proc Assoc Adv Automot Med 47:197-214. 2003..In multivariate analysis, only the teen's belief about their crash risk and whether the teen had received a moving violation were associated with reporting a crash...
- Health care use by perpetrators of domestic violenceJeffrey H Coben
Department of Emergency Medicine, Center for Violence and Injury Control, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15212, USA
J Emerg Med 22:313-7. 2002..These data demonstrate that Emergency Departments are often visited by DV perpetrators in this community and may be important sites for screening and intervention protocols...
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) notes. Contrasting rural and urban fatal crashes 1994-2003Jeffrey H Coben
Department of Emergency Medicine, Injury Control Research Center, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV, USA
Ann Emerg Med 47:574-5; discussion 575-7. 2006
- Measuring the quality of hospital-based domestic violence programsJeffrey H Coben
Department of Emergency Medicine, MCP Hahnemann University, Allegheny General Hospital, Center for Violence and Injury Control, Allegheny Singer Research Institute, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
Acad Emerg Med 9:1176-83. 2002..To obtain consensus among a panel of experts on performance measures useful for evaluating the quality of hospital-based domestic violence (DV) programs...
- Hospitalizations for poisoning by prescription opioids, sedatives, and tranquilizersJeffrey H Coben
Department of Emergency Medicine, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506 9149, USA
Am J Prev Med 38:517-24. 2010..A better understanding of these hospitalizations may help identify high-risk populations in need of intervention to prevent subsequent mortality...
- Motorcycle-related hospitalizations in the United States, 2001Jeffrey H Coben
Center for Delivery, Organization, and Markets, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, U S Department of Health and Human Services, Washington DC, USA
Am J Prev Med 27:355-62. 2004..To estimate the prevalence of motorcycle-related hospitalization in the United States in 2001 and to describe the demographic, clinical, hospital, and financial characteristics associated with these injuries...
- Attitudes of teenagers and their parents to Pennsylvania's graduated driver licensing systemMary Pat McKay
Center for Injury Prevention and Control, The Ronald Reagan Institute of Emergency Medicine, The George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20034, USA
Traffic Inj Prev 9:217-23. 2008..To determine the attitudes of teens and parents in Pennsylvania (PA) towards the enhanced graduated driver licensing (GDL) system implemented in 2000, and to assess their understanding of teen crash risk...
- Hospitalization for firearm-related injuries in the United States, 1997Jeffrey H Coben
Center for Outcomes and Effectiveness, Research Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, U S Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Am J Prev Med 24:1-8. 2003..The objective of this study was to assess and report the information available on firearm-related injuries in an existing national database, derived from hospital discharge data...
- Persistence of intimate partner violence among families referred to child welfareCynthia D Connelly
Child and Adolescent Services Research Center University of San Diego, CA 92123 4282, USA
J Interpers Violence 21:774-97. 2006..The results suggest that factors related to initial risk for IPV do not affect the continuation of IPV and that patterns of IPV differ for racial and ethnic groups...